U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 10,845 times

Advertisements

Hi, any advice is greatly appreciated! I am torn between making a move and have work choices between Pensacola, FL or Virginia Beach, VA. Pensacola has a lower cost of living, is warmer, but I worry about the culture/close mindedness , and Virginia Beach seems nice overall with good schools, but I really enjoy the warmer weather and not sure if we would eventually want to head south. I have a young child and want to get settled in one place and although we would make it work out either way, appreciate any insights out there. TY!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 10:44 AM

5,225 posts, read 4,054,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juli123 View Post
Hi, any advice is greatly appreciated! I am torn between making a move and have work choices between Pensacola, FL or Virginia Beach, VA. Pensacola has a lower cost of living, is warmer, but I worry about the culture/close mindedness , and Virginia Beach seems nice overall with good schools, but I really enjoy the warmer weather and not sure if we would eventually want to head south. I have a young child and want to get settled in one place and although we would make it work out either way, appreciate any insights out there. TY!
It's an amazing place to raise your family, I love Virginia Beach. What specific lifestyle qualities or characteristics are you searching for?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,631,197 times
if you want lower cost - stick to Florida. You get nothing for your money house wise in that area. You'll have to head way out the way to the state line for something decent but then your out the way.

You may have a little more culture in Pensacola as Va. Beach is a mixture of folks all over so the area doesn't have an identity when it comes to that.

But as for amenities, Va. Beach area all the way as you can't beat that. 3 hours from DC, 7 or so from NY, the Williamsburg area, etc.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:06 PM

13,222 posts, read 12,399,709 times
Schools are better in Virginia Beach and if your Navy it is much easier to stay there over Pensacola.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:57 AM

21 posts, read 11,290 times
Hi there. I know I'm late in replying and unsure if you've made a move yet, but I wanted to weigh in. Having lived in several areas of the country (including Florida) and growing up in Boston, MA, your comfort may depend on how you're perceived. If you're White, upper-middle-class and lean center-right culturally, Virginia Beach may work well for you. If you're anything else, you may have difficulty making this area work. I've lived here for 14 years and sadly have had numerous negative experiences. At first, I assumed I might have been the problem until I spoke with other transplants with similar experiences. Having moved around the country, I've not experienced the same levels of unkindness as in Virginia Beach. I've experienced bullying, racial insensitivity, meanness, exclusion (clique-ish behavior), and a level of immaturity that seems strange (to me).

Raising a family here depends on what you are used to and what you're looking for. I've stayed in VB for familial reasons, but if not for family, I'd raise my daughter elsewhere. I've witnessed enough uncouth and insincere behavior to color my judgment compared to other cities. Conversely, there are many good quality extra-curricular activities geared toward children here. They are more sports-oriented but very good (martial arts, ballet, gymnastics, etc.).

As for Virginia Beach City Public Schools, having worked in two K-5 schools as an assistant teacher and one prominent high school in admin, I don't think the children's education is much better than most other public schools in the country. Public school standards have dipped nationwide over the last 20 years or so. I placed my child in a Catholic School from K-3, then a public school for 4th. I wasn't happy with the education she received at her public school, so I switched her back to a Catholic School mid-year and that's where she'll stay unless I can no longer afford it. Virginia Beach City Public Schools offer "gifted" programs, but they are highly subjective in recruitment (teacher input is a decisive factor); the quantifiable research on teachers' internal bias is abundant, so the selection process is concerning (to me). Depending on how you perceive this sort of thing may or may not be a concern.

I've found the cost of living is high for what you get. Living near the beach is always a plus, especially for kids. That said, I grew up in Boston, so my perception of an abundant cultural scene is different.

My time living in Florida was in the Tampa Bay area, which I recognize as vastly different from the panhandle. Though you've mentioned liking warmer weather, four distinct seasons in Virginia can be pleasant.

I hope my posted experiences can give you food for thought. Good luck to you and your family wherever you land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area