Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:14 PM

22 posts, read 62,507 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from NJ to VA beach or Chesapeake areas. My only favorite thing about NJ is how beautiful it is this time of the year, everything in boom and getting green. I love lilacs and they are in full bloom now, I also love peonies will be blooming soon. I guess my question is, does lilac grow in this part of VA, since it is so much more South and by the ocean, and is there a lot of farms around the area where you can go pick your own fruits and veggies, and pumpkins for Halloween. Does it get very festive for the holidays, are people into fall and winter holidays??? Please let me know.

Last edited by Amazin Mets; 04-30-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Were are all the gardeners??

Please reply if you have any info, greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin Mets View Post
Please reply if you have any info, greatly appreciated.
There are some farms in the area that let you pick. I have seen both peonies and lilacs. The growing season is longer and things tend to weather over here. The azaleas are amazing here. We had to amend our soil quite a bit, but we grow tomatoes, beans, watermelon, onions, lettuce. The lettuce grew all winter as did the onions. Our dill plant lasted all winter too.

There are holiday events, but no real snow. If you like real traditional looks like Lambertville you can find that in Williamsburg up the road. This area is more suburban. OUr fall is not very crisp in comparison, but we do get a great October sky and leaves change more in November than October. If you need a big leaf fix, you can drive up to the mountains and go along Skyline drive.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Default thank you

thank you so much for the info.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:20 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
We lived in Yorktown near the Hampton border so not quite as close to the water and thought it was a beautiful area. Lilacs and peonies will both grow but I did not see too much or either. I love to see what does grow well in an area and try different things. There are many beautiful fall areas and the fall and winter holidays are very festive. Williamsburg has some great holiday happenings and Christmas lights in the parks etc in many areas are very popluar. Your "beautiful green" season will be even longer then you are used to..

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
Here is a link to pick your own farms in the Chesapeake Virginia area from the Va Dept of Agriculture website VDACS - Virginia Grown Guide - City of Chesapeake (http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/vagrown/chesapeake.shtml - broken link) Here is one for Virginia Beach pick your own farms VDACS - Virginia Grown Guide - City of Virginia Beach (http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/vagrown/vabeach.shtml - broken link)
Virginia Beach seems to be right on the edge of a climate zone that will allow you to grow many different plants that wouldn't survive in New Jersey. Lilacs and Peonies do well. The don't seem as popular as they once were.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Strawberries are our favorite pick. We have our own backyard garden and our beefsteak tomatoes are to die for. I grow a few herbs, but concentrate on the vegetables that we eat in our household

Old 05-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Default thanks

thank you all for info. I can't wait to move and get a house so, I can start a garden of my own. I live in the apartment and can't grow much because I don't get much sun on my patio. So, can't wait for the house

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 AM

43 posts, read 231,776 times
People have covered the pick your own so my comment is mainly about the garden.

I moved here from Ocean City MD to Chesapeake and brought many plants with me. Everything I brought with me transplanted well and easily adapted to the two week earlier blooming season.

Lilacs do great here and you may find yourself having to trim them more because of the longer growing season.
It took a while for my lily of the valley to take hold but they surprised me by doubling the first year of planting.
Azaleas abound in this area and do great. I do find that because of the warmer climate they need more watering and feeding.
My Iris plants bloomed early and have been a showcase piece in the garden.
I could go on and on because of the variety of plants that I brought with me. The main thing is that this area is a bit warmer and drier then States MD, DE and NJ

Good luck with your move and don't be afraid to bring any or all of your plants with you!
(My herb garden took only one year to become established and the plants are already ready to harvest)

Old 05-29-2011, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 20,017 times
Butterfly bushes grow very well I have had them for years and the blooms have been a foot long and they have a mild fragrance like a lilac im for NH and its the next best thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area