Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny357 View Post
I just bought a house in south Suffolk. I know this post is old but how long would it take to get to NS Norfolk? I was planning on a little over an hour, is this a good assumption?
It depends on what time you are leaving your house to be honest. Around 0500 would be a good time to make it within an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM

9 posts, read 23,600 times
Thank you ya I figure I caN live with that. My shift starts at 0600, I guess that works

Old 01-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
I'm just curous. Did you ever make the commute before you bought the house ? At your normal commuting time ? To anyone else I would always advise doing this a few times before you purchase. An hour or little more sounds about right. What neighborhod are you in ?
I'm in Southern Suffolk, Quaker drive ..yes I made the drive before but just once, also I didn't see the construction everyone speaks of? Which I guess is not as bad now. 98% of my reaserch was done on line, and I had only 3 days to physically find a house due to my job and other personnal matters. If I was to delay I would end up rentting again, which I find such a waste of $$$. I love my new area and plan on moving in late this month. Norfolk, and portsmith were just not my cup of tea, hell I don't like driving threw them can't imagine living in that mess ( my price range ). The only trafic I've really hit is the Hampton, Portsmith tunnel. I guess the construction is better than last year??? 1.3 hour drive no problem, 1.5 plus would be a hump.

Last edited by Lenny357; 01-07-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Spel

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM

377 posts, read 1,063,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akachans View Post
We will be relocating to the area in about a month. We are trying to figure out where to buy a house (we are looking to spend around $250K)? My husband will be working at Norfolk Naval Station. We have two young kids and a dog. We are hearing mixed ideas of where to live??? We are considering all areas but just can't decide! Please help! Obviously we want good schools, low crime, ect but we also want a house that will need little to no updating....we will only be in the area for 3 years. My husband is willing to commute about 30 min to work and we'd like to be within 10 or so minutes of store, grocery, ect.

If you are only going to be here for 3 years maybe you should consider renting and not buying a house? You could lose your butt with the way real estate is now and have a lot of trouble selling as well. We live in Va beach but are moving to Tenn in a month. We've only been here since July but it is way too expensive to live here(rents very high, very expensive vehicle registration, inspection cost PLUS personal property tax which is total BULL) and it is just not worth it. I absolutely cannot stand the traffic either. I've worked all over since I've been here, lot of driving with my job and Chesapeake seems like the nicest area to me and it also seems like the rents are cheaper and as far as I know the schools are good. If I HAD to pick a place to settle permanently in Hampton Roads from the time I've been here I think it would be Chesapeake. Suffolk is nice too but with the terrible traffic I just don't think it would be worth driving that much farther to get to Norfolk.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:32 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
We live in Va beach but are moving to Tenn in a month. We've only been here since July but it is way too expensive to live here(rents very high, very expensive vehicle registration, inspection cost PLUS personal property tax which is total BULL) and it is just not worth it. I absolutely cannot stand the traffic either. I've worked all over since I've been here, lot of driving with my job and Chesapeake seems like the nicest area to me and it also seems like the rents are cheaper and as far as I know the schools are good. If I HAD to pick a place to settle permanently in Hampton Roads from the time I've been here I think it would be Chesapeake. Suffolk is nice too but with the terrible traffic I just don't think it would be worth driving that much farther to get to Norfolk.
Did you research before you moved here??? Just curious, because commonwealth states have personal property taxes. Some call them different names, but are the same. As far as traffic...it goes with any largely populated area.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM

I used to live in California the taxes here are much better. AND for 300 K you cant even get a 1 bedroom in a nice area. So far I'm getting to work in 55 min., So far so good. I still have at least 7 years here the market will be in good shape in 5 IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area