Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2020, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 13,736 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Need advice. Trying to decide which city to move to. Hampton Roads or Newport news. I know that all areas have their own crime issues, but can anyone suggest one over the other as far as safety? Also I'm really not one for historical locations, is either more of a modern or newer development? Any information or suggestions would really help with my decision. I'm looking to purchase a condo and it appears that the condos in NN are more affordable, I don't know if it's because of the safety issues or not. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 02:25 PM

4,086 posts, read 2,391,904 times
When asking about the area, be sure to recognize that Hampton Roads is an area, not a city or county. Are you asking about the City of Hampton?

Old 11-02-2020, 05:24 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,533,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
When asking about the area, be sure to recognize that Hampton Roads is an area, not a city or county. Are you asking about the City of Hampton?
This, Hampton Roads is actually the name of the harbor in the area and the land took the same name. It’s also referred to as the 7 cities: Hampton, Newport News, VA Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Suffolk.

Do you have kids in school? A family? Where will you be working?

Old 11-03-2020, 11:11 AM

184 posts, read 242,791 times
I agree with Spazkat9696 with the question of where you would be working. There are bridges and tunnels to negotiate if you work in Hampton/Newport News and live in Norfolk/Virginia Beach....and vice versa. People deal with it but it can add 30-40 minutes plus to your commute each way. Also, there is a wide spread of opinions on the schools in each city if that is a factor.
Please give us a few more details. Generally speaking, folks on this thread will be helpful with their experience.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 13,736 times
Ok that would be either Hampton or NN. There is a retirement home in Hampton and one in NN that takes Section 8's for my 87 yr old Mother. So I'm looking to buy a condo close to her in whichever city we choose. So just wanted to compare the two. Thank you!

Old 11-06-2020, 10:14 AM

184 posts, read 242,791 times
Anecdotally, I think you will find many people on this thread suggest Hampton has more crime than NN and that the worst areas in NN are in and around the numbers streets. But there are some very popular areas in both cities. There are some very popular areas north of NN. Not knowing the exact locations of the retirement homes and your budget and size of the condo, it is difficult to provide more specific info. Feel free to DM for more specific information or if you are already working with a Realtor, that person should be able to provide more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area