Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 03:40 PM

33 posts, read 67,463 times

Advertisements

My wife is from Maryland and we are trying to get back to the area and preferable Hampton Roads or the Eastern Shore. I currently have a very good job as a financial professional (30yrs) and can’t just drop what I’m doing and move before I find a new job. I have however, in preparation already sold my house. For the last several months I have tried all the normal inter net posting sites, with absolutely no luck or even a response. The Hampton Roads area is just a preference and we are willing to relocate almost anywhere in Virginia or Maryland. Anyone got any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Do you want a big city type feel or small town feel?

Old 03-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Relocation Assistance???

Honestly as long as we get back to the area, it does not matter. We have lived in both.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
Try to convey a little more about what you are seeking in a community and we'll try to respond appropriately

Old 03-31-2008, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 28,250 times
Default Relocation Assistance????

Are you looking for a job in the same field in the Hampton Roads area? You may want to look on the city government sites for job employments for the city, or are you searching for a corporate job for example: amerigroup. You can also try Corporate Gray or Jobfox - The job site for career-minded professionals for corporate jobs. Hope this helps...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM

162 posts, read 801,759 times
My husband has a good job with a newspaper here (on the business side of things). We moved from Hanover PA to VA Beach and they gave us relocation assistance. They reimbursed our moving expenses.

The newspaper job has been a good one. It pays well and who knows, they might have the need for a financial professional. Since I don't think the posting rules on this board allow me to say who exactly he works for, you can do a little research and figure it out, I'm sure.

What part of MD is your wife from? My husband and I both grew up in MD. He was originally from Hampden in Baltimore and moved to Westminster, MD at around age 9. I was born in Ellicott City, MD and moved to Manchester, MD at age 8. We moved from MD in 2002 to Hanover, PA and then moved here to VB in 2005.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Relocation Assistance???

To Joan Hart

Thanks for the two web sites. I thought I had them all. But not these.

TO wjjbward

My wife is from Lutherville just outside of Baltimore. You can send me a direct message with job info.

Thanks to both of you.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 52,330 times
oldawg,

If you work in finance, consider working with a recruiter who specializes in placing accounting and finance folks. As a former recruiter in that sector this area really needs an influx of new candidates

Also - I am not sure if you know these sites but the locally owned and operated job sites are Careerconnection.com and 757JobsNow.com. Also, I heard one of the local papers in on the block, so please investigate any company you are considering well.

In addition to working with recruiters, you could try the local accounting/finance associations. They will often advertise jobs that aren't in the paper or elsewhere. 2 that I know of are the IMA (Institute of Management Accountants) and the VSCPA (Virginia Society of CPA's).

Best of luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 21,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldawg View Post
My wife is from Maryland and we are trying to get back to the area and preferable Hampton Roads or the Eastern Shore. I currently have a very good job as a financial professional (30yrs) and can’t just drop what I’m doing and move before I find a new job. I have however, in preparation already sold my house. For the last several months I have tried all the normal inter net posting sites, with absolutely no luck or even a response. The Hampton Roads area is just a preference and we are willing to relocate almost anywhere in Virginia or Maryland. Anyone got any suggestions?
Hi Oldawg-
Try hcareers.com as well. My husband is also finance. Went from banking to hospitality. Hotel controller actually.
Our house is for sale on the eastern shore, 11 miles north of the bay/bridge tunnel. Whenever we do go across to VB or Norfolk or Hampton Roads we never can figure out why people who work there think they have to live there!! The crime is massive. Traffic horrible. Our house is in a quiet rural setting. Yes there is a grocery store but no movie theater. We are 10 minutes from the beach. Really no job opportunites on this side though. I'd be happy to send you info on the house if you are interested...............
LW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area