Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 411 times

Advertisements

We moved to Hickory when my children were in elementary school back in 2010 we didn't like it, felt it was very country and a little isolated. Have heard there is a lot more there now but still only has your standard big shops target, Walmart ect. We were happy when we moved two years later out of state.

Well last year my husbands job placed us back here and we choose Virginia Beach this time. We love it here. We are are just off London Bridge, minutes from shopping, dining and the beach. We are very happy that we did not return to Chesapeake.

Hickory and Great Bridge area are both lovely safe places to live both with good schools, we just feel more suited to VA Beach. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan18 View Post
Hey Windy City - Has your opinion changed from the above to date? We are moving to either Chesapeake or VA Beach with a 10 and 13 year old from New England. Going through the same decisions as you.
I grew up in New England (CT on MA border). Assuming you're not used to city life (Boston, Hartford, New Haven...), I think you'd be fine in any of the areas mentioned. Chesapeake is generally more suburban, but parts of Virginia Beach are downright country while other parts are much more condensed. I live in a VB suburban area (Salem) and love it. There are stores, restaurants, malls, etc., all within a 20-minute drive. Where I grew up in CT, we had 2 grocery stores, 1 fast food restaurant (2 if you count Subway!), and 1 high school in our entire town, so I very much enjoy the conveniences of having everything closer here!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:58 AM

184 posts, read 244,957 times
I agree with Jillybean except I would suggest there are still come areas of Chesapeake that one might consider country. Both cities have some very good rated schools. Many of my clients have used school ratings and distance to work as their primary criteria for selecting areas to look at for finding their home in a price range they are comfortable with. I would suggest there are a number of options for you, depending on price point in both cities. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area