Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,925 times

Advertisements

My wife's allergies have worsened since moving here from Delaware. We're living in a condominium built in 1981. We bought air purifiers, new filters, my wife is taking various medications. I wish she didn't feel the constant tiredness, itchy eyes. I've read some posts on here indicating to have no pets, no carpet, and to get tested since allergies change. We have no pets, however have carpet. I vacuum weekly and clean for dust. My wife is going to take an allergy test as the feeling she has is terrible where she does not feel like doing activities sometimes because of her allergies. I honestly feel this area is tough for some residents who have allergy problems. I honestly wish I had some of these allergy issues to truly feel someone's pain living in this condition. She was fine or at least somewhat better in Colonial Heights/Petersburg, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
My allergies were much worse when I lived in Va. Beach growing up. I don't know why, but my allergies are not as bad when I moved to South Carolina.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:30 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
My allergist once told me allergies here are the 2nd worse in the nation. This was many years ago and I don't know if it still holds true.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
My allergist once told me allergies here are the 2nd worse in the nation. This was many years ago and I don't know if it still holds true.
My sister in VA Beach says everyone she knows has horrible allergies there. I don't know what it is, but it's a bad place for allergies.

Allergy shots should help. I've had them and it can make a huge difference. See if you can find an allergist who does serial titration. Probably not available in that area but it works really fast and there's no danger of having a reaction.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,925 times
Will do. Went to Delaware last weekend and she was fine. We'll keep trying, however our only quality of life improvement could be to move out of the state.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
Allergies are awful here. I was fine when I lived in FL for eight years. Once I moved here, I developed bouts of bronchitis, pneumonia, and have constant headaches, itchy eyes, sneezing, and stuffy nose every Sept-November.

After suffering from pneumonia several years ago, my doctor told me about the "Tidewater Drip." He says Tidewater has one of the worst allergy problems in the nation. I can't wait to get back to FL.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Local honey will help the body naturally build a tolerance to local allergies.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:41 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
I actually bought local honey this summer from a roadside farm stand. They were selling Turtle Creek from Newsoms, VA and the seller said many people buy it for allergies. It didn't seem to help me this year.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
It needs to be local to where you live. Like the same city.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:50 PM

203 posts, read 371,734 times
Default You are admired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICAFRENTE1947 View Post
My wife's allergies have worsened since moving here from Delaware. We're living in a condominium built in 1981. We bought air purifiers, new filters, my wife is taking various medications. I wish she didn't feel the constant tiredness, itchy eyes. I've read some posts on here indicating to have no pets, no carpet, and to get tested since allergies change. We have no pets, however have carpet. I vacuum weekly and clean for dust. My wife is going to take an allergy test as the feeling she has is terrible where she does not feel like doing activities sometimes because of her allergies. I honestly feel this area is tough for some residents who have allergy problems. I honestly wish I had some of these allergy issues to truly feel someone's pain living in this condition. She was fine or at least somewhat better in Colonial Heights/Petersburg, VA.
Very unusual for someone to sympathize with a person suffering from allergies. Many think it is no big deal but believe me , allergies can be debilitating. The fatigue is probably the worse symptom for me.
If you are living in an older home, maybe have your ducts cleaned and invest in a good air purifier. I purchased the large Oransi and 4 tower cleaners. Expensive , yes, but well worth it.
Possibly , you have different trees in your new location versus your older location.
There are so many irritants inside and outside for someone who is bothered with allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area