Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
CNI

194 posts, read 577,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
The great thing, IMO, about Virginia Beach as a "Resort Area" is that the fun isn't just limited to the one city. Virginia Beach by itself is pretty lame. However, if you include all of the sister cities within the Hampton Roads area - this is a great area to live and visit.

Stay a day at the Ocean Front, Spend a day at Busch Gardens, ride the ferry in Scotland over to Jamestown, etc.
BINGO!
I've been stalking this thread & I was hoping someone would touch on what you mentioned.
I seriously think VA Beach is marketing itself wrong (or, at least, not marketing itself to the fullest potential).

There are no DE, MD, NC, or SC beaches that have a decent beach/resort area in such close proximity to a sizeable city/urban area like Norfolk, Newport News, etc.
You go to Myrtle Beach - you got to Myrtle Beach. There are not many non-beach alternatives.
NC's beaches are predominantly for people who only want to be at the beach.
Ocean City, MD is nice but it is very far from Baltimore.
You have to go south to Florida or north to PA and beyond to get that beach/resort area in combination with city/urban options.

I feel so strongly about this that I sent a link to my previous post
VA Beach Oceanfront: Unique?
to the Virginia Beach’s Convention and Visitors Bureau.

For those in the Mid-Atlantic region (or travelers outside the region) who do not want to solely spend their entire vacation at the beach or in the beach resort environment and for those who like to combine the beach with city/urban options Va Beach is, IMO, the best Mid-Atlantic option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:36 PM

673 posts, read 3,140,321 times
What I've always wondered is why doesnt Virginia Beach have any shells? I know Nags Head is loaded with shells and we love to go down there. I went to Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and found shells there too, just not real big ones.

I used to think VA Beach was so great but now that we have a child, I find it not so appealing. I think the shops are lame, the beach is ok I guess...but for a trip to NC you can get much better beaches. Hotels are way overpriced and the no swearing signs are hilarious!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 PM

469 posts, read 1,866,785 times
The Virginia Beach oceantfront can get crowded and parking is OUTRAEGOUS. Some of the prices can be ridiculous. The boardwalk is dangerous and crowded. You have roller bladers, bikers, and little kids running in all different directions, accidents are bound to happen. Try and find a spot on the beach during peak hours, i'm sure you will be circling the sand for hours (unless you go up to the North end, but then you have the over zealous residents up there who don't want you parking in front of their house, and you risk having your car keyed or damaged)

There aren't many good shops along Atlantic avenue either. They all pretty much suck. And let's not get started on the nightclubs along Atlantic avenue.

The police love to harass people at the oceanfront, and chances of you coming back to find your car either towed or ticketed are very high (you have to be VERY careful where you park). And at 2 - 3am it doesn't matter where you park, unless its in a hotel lot (with proper hotel decals) IT WILL BE TOWED. Unless you are drunk and you go up to a police officer (and risk a drunk in public charge) and have them issue you a "drunk sticker" for your car that shows the tow truck drivers that you were too drunk to drive home and your car should not be towed.

Other than that, the oceanfront is great!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:32 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,420,028 times
Did you see on GMA that Myrtle has a Hard Rock Amusement Park? That would be a good time. I'm not a big ride person, but I do make it a point to go to the Hard Rock Cafes wherever I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area