Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 07:44 PM

22 posts, read 15,208 times

Advertisements

Interesting from both VaBeachgirlNYC and Spazkat. Thanks so much for both your replies! It seems the commute would be insane from VAB? I am curious which elementary and middle schools specifically you feel (or heard) are better in VAB? The schools I’m liking in Chesapeake are, Cedar Road Elementady and the same zoned Middle school, Hugo Owens. We are definitely not living in Portsmouth. I’m open to VAB but would like to find out more about which are these better schools? I do want ease of getting to things that my daughter would enjoy, and safety. But great schools are also important. Also, can you name some of the luxury apt complexes in VAB? We will probably take a trip up to check out the area. Likely, we’ll come up to get a feel of the area. I would like to be near to shops and such for convenience. I like the idea of being in a walkable area. Any particular areas in VAB that are good for families? I feel there are pockets that are better than others. A friend lived in VAB years ago, and she really didn’t like it. And that was without kids. She said it wasn’t a great area… somewhere off Indian River Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Because of traffic your drive from VAB to the Naval hospital will be more than 40 minutes if you live in a desirable school zone.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:16 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,932 times
I'm not that familiar with the life style or schools of living in the Indian River Rd area. There could be many reasons your friend didn't like it. I wouldn't like it because it's too far from the beach and other places I frequent so I would be bored to death. I don't really have any reason to be in that area of Va Beach since I have everything here and it's too far from the beach to walk or bike to. It kind of reminds me of Chesapeake though and runs into Norfolk at military highway. If I remember correctly I believe all 3 city borders meet around or close to there.

As far as schools in Va Beach it doesn't really matter as much as other places because if your child excels she/he can go to an "academy" that fosters your gifted child. The schools also have good programs for children with special needs. I do not know of any bad elementary schools here but like any place in any state we may have a couple too. I'm friends with several elementary teachers here but they all think the school they teach in, is the best, so no help there lol. Most of them have said that every couple of years the dynamics can change making that schools rating drop or rise. That's probably true everywhere.

It's really easy to check out the luxury apartments/condos for rent. You know exactly what you want, we would just be guessing. I think realtor. com is the best site for this area. As for the actual locations, I personally prefer Rudees inlet area or the shore drive area. Ask any kid who grew up here where they spent most of their warm weekends and summers if they got to choose. I bet most chose to be doing something outside because of all the fun outdoor stuff here.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I'm not that familiar with the life style or schools of living in the Indian River Rd area. There could be many reasons your friend didn't like it. I wouldn't like it because it's too far from the beach and other places I frequent so I would be bored to death. I don't really have any reason to be in that area of Va Beach since I have everything here and it's too far from the beach to walk or bike to. It kind of reminds me of Chesapeake though and runs into Norfolk at military highway. If I remember correctly I believe all 3 city borders meet around or close to there.

As far as schools in Va Beach it doesn't really matter as much as other places because if your child excels she/he can go to an "academy" that fosters your gifted child. The schools also have good programs for children with special needs. I do not know of any bad elementary schools here but like any place in any state we may have a couple too. I'm friends with several elementary teachers here but they all think the school they teach in, is the best, so no help there lol. Most of them have said that every couple of years the dynamics can change making that schools rating drop or rise. That's probably true everywhere.

It's really easy to check out the luxury apartments/condos for rent. You know exactly what you want, we would just be guessing. I think realtor. com is the best site for this area. As for the actual locations, I personally prefer Rudees inlet area or the shore drive area. Ask any kid who grew up here where they spent most of their warm weekends and summers if they got to choose. I bet most chose to be doing something outside because of all the fun outdoor stuff here.
The OP said they wanted to be within 40 minutes of the hospital.

OP the academies are for high school. You said elementary and maybe 1 year of middle school IIRC. You want to avoid Brandon, Bayside, Landstown, and Larkspur middle schools in VAB. If you want to stay in the same home long term make sure you you’re not in those zones.

Honestly unless you’re a beach bum in the summer there is no real reason to live super close. If your child is into sports you may want to look into which clubs they will play for and use that to help you. I know swimming, soccer, and field hockey seem to be popular around here. Really you’ll have to drive to ant activity you will do recreationally. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in tunnel traffic daily which you will be going be because you’re going to the Naval Hospital. You guys need to decide how important daily time together is.

You may want to look into the Harbor View area of Suffolk if you’re okay with having a drive to the beach. It will eliminate the need for a daily toll/tunnel trip, it’s a newer area that is growing, and the housing is affordable.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The OP said they wanted to be within 40 minutes of the hospital.

OP the academies are for high school. You said elementary and maybe 1 year of middle school IIRC. You want to avoid Brandon, Bayside, Landstown, and Larkspur middle schools in VAB. If you want to stay in the same home long term make sure you you’re not in those zones.

Honestly unless you’re a beach bum in the summer there is no real reason to live super close. If your child is into sports you may want to look into which clubs they will play for and use that to help you. I know swimming, soccer, and field hockey seem to be popular around here. Really you’ll have to drive to ant activity you will do recreationally. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in tunnel traffic daily which you will be going be because you’re going to the Naval Hospital. You guys need to decide how important daily time together is.

You may want to look into the Harbor View area of Suffolk if you’re okay with having a drive to the beach. It will eliminate the need for a daily toll/tunnel trip, it’s a newer area that is growing, and the housing is affordable.
Which they would be.

Actually the academies start at the elementary school level here. Old Donation school is just one example.

Larkspur Middle is actually a great school. They really foster the kids that work hard. They also were the first (only?) middle school to have a real news station that the middle school kids actually ran.

OP, I just googled the schools here and it looks like the ones near the Salem area (except for one middle school) seem to be lower rated right now. Funny they are also really close to Indian river Rd which is where you said your friend lived.

You don't have to be a "beach bum", as Spaz, said to live near the beach. There is so much more than the actual beach to enjoy here.

As for ANY after school activities, Va Beach actually has "activity" buses that will transport your child home (no charge) after those activities, normally 1-2 hours after regular school lets out. Kind of gives you a clue to how much children in Va Beach are cherished and given every opportunity to be the best they can be in the school system. Also super helpful for children who may not otherwise be able to participate in those activities because they couldn't get a ride home an hour or two after regular school lets out.

While the beach and/or oceanfront may not be for everyone it is for me. I did a 6 mile walk/"run" with my large dog tonight, it may be December but the locals, of all ages, are enjoying the mild, slightly breezy, temps right now.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:07 AM

Old donation is only for gifted students and you have to test in. It's the only one offered for elementary. There is a middle school IB program at Plaza if the OP is interested.

Larkspur has a horrible issue with bullying.

I also wouldn't say children are cherished and given every opportunity especially if they have any learning difficulties.

There are activity busses in HS and I'm not saying VAB doesn't have good schools but I would not send my child to the schools I listed. There is more than test scores to consider when deciding on a school.

OP feel free to message me for more detailed information about the area. VAB may not be the best for you given your original post.

Off topic but the weather is crazy warm right now. Maybe we'll get a lot of snow in January.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:10 AM

184 posts, read 245,116 times
May I suggest you also look at Northeast Suffolk. I have several clients who bought homes there and are stationed at Portsmouth. No tunnels or bridges to navigate and easily well within the 40 minute drive. I suggest folks consider neighborhood scout website for safety information as one source and there are several websites for schools. Now Suffolk is farther away from what Virginia Beach offers, such as the aquarium, but there are some nice rental complexes as well as single family homes at less cost per square foot then newer developments in Chesapeake.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:07 PM

Grrr, citydata said my session "timed out". I have never signed out, the site lost my detailed reply.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:57 AM

125 posts, read 121,870 times
I have one kid who graduated from Great Bridge High School and another in Great Bridge middle school. They are both fantastic. Chesapeake seems to have a massive disparity amongst its schools and the blacker the schools population, the lower it will rank and the less money will go into it. I am zoned for Oscar Smith and crest wood schools which I’ve visited both and would say they are supreme ****holes and I actually pulled my kid out of Crestwood middle school. There’s major economic segregation in all of Virginia and the school setup seems to be the driving force behind it. Va Beach is like a checkerboard with good and bad schools. I stick to corporate landing, ocean lakes, great neck, or Cox schools there. Suffolks sucks ass and don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise. Same with western branch Chesapeake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area