Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,362 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to the Hampton Roads area, but unable to find any 'neighborhood' info. Looking for an established, vibrant neighborhood - no suburban sprall, no strip malls, but has alot of character, cozy restaurants and boutiques within walking distance to good homes, parks and schools. Not wanting to sound too 'Fairy Tale', but I wan't to live in a vibrant 'urban' rather than 'suburban' neighborhood where I am still able to walk through the neighborhood. Looking to spend $350-450K.

Is this doable in Hampton Roads? Where should I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,033,129 times
I live in Burbage Grant. Try there for starters. I am in NE Suffolk.

I think you will be better off in Port Warwick, though. That's in Newport News.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 AM

45 posts, read 171,921 times
I concur with TailoredMaid. Also, check Harbour View Subdivision in Suffolk, which is walking distance to the mall, hospital, walking trail, golf course, restaurant. Also, check Waterstone Community in Chesapeake which is located in a wooded community, just walking distance to Chesapeake Square Mall, community center, community park, restaurants, elementary school is about 5 miles. Your price range is doable.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 PM

19 posts, read 83,695 times
I just logged on, and I can't believe your message was posted five days ago and no one has mentioned Ghent. It's in Norfolk, and it's an original. Most of the cities are now creating urban multi-use centers now, but they are not as charming as the originals. But parking can be a challenge there. Port Warwick is definitely the place in Newport News, but they are also developing City Center. Downtown Hampton is another original, but not a lot of shopping. Virginia Beach has it's new Town Center, which has high-rise living, both apartments and condos. And Portsmouth has Olde Towne. Just a matter of preference on where you want to live.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,959,124 times
Try New Town in Williamsburg if it's within your driving distance. 15+ places to eat some with outdoor dining, Movie Theater, Bars, Barnes & Noble, Coffee Shops, Wine Shop, Soon to be a Trader Joes, Boutiques, Doctors, Dentists, Most everything you need within walking distance.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

328 posts, read 1,535,610 times
Ghent Norfolk is pretty nice. I second that. Can walk to the PO, there is a park to walk too, Grocery Store less than a mile away, Library less than mile away, Big 3 Story Mall like 3 miles or less away. I got me a pair of Rollerblades. That is what I do a lot over here. Grab a Sunday Paper today, there is some houses in GHENT in there for sale..JMO

Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,121,249 times
Not to sound negative or say where "not to go", but if you don't want to deal with Sprawl and strip malls, Virginia Beach is not for you at all. 'Cause that's all that Virginia Beach is.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM

361 posts, read 1,460,198 times
In Newport News, Port Warwick and City Center are basically creating an urban neighborhood/central business districk for NN and the entire Peninsula. They are located across the street from each other and compliment each development. Between both places, there are single family houses, townhomes, condos, rentals, CNU student housing, coffee shops, cafes, restaraunts, service businesses, weekly concerts and movie nights, medical services, etc. The Oyster Point district, which includes both developments has the second highest amount of office space and businesses behind downtown Norfolk.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,404,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
The Oyster Point district, which includes both developments has the second highest amount of office space and businesses behind downtown Norfolk.
Yes they do! When I visit the analysis lab I use over there on Tug Boat, I see it. The newly paved roads are nice.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 47,892 times
Default Hampton Neighborhood

If you're looking for a wonderful established, vibrant neighborhood, with a TON of character, try Little England in Hampton between Armistead and Bridge Street and then bounded by Settler's Landing and the water. If you're down this way, take the time to drive through it. It really is lovely.

The only problem with it is that, while being within walking distance of downtown Hampton, there aren't a ton of cozy restaurants and boutiques. There are a few, but not a lot. It's right on the water - and it doesn't get as hot in that neighborhood as in some, because of the breezes off the bay. You can find a really nice house in Little England for your price range. It will be older (1890's - 1920's), with lots of cool architectural details. All the homes in this neighborhood have yards, most of them fenced and well-maintained. The neighborhood, itself, is marvelous. Friendly people, great walking neighborhood, mixed ethnicity, and not much crime to speak of. Sure, we get the occasional shed break-in, and sometimes a car window will get broken, but you never hear anything about violent crime, home invasions, or street muggings in this 4-5 block enclave of Victorian wonderland.

It's a 5 minute walk to DT Hampton, and while I find that it's not what I'm used to for a Downtown, it IS a pretty walk over the bridge on Bridge Street down to Settler's Landing Rd., and there ARE a few restaurants. The IMAX and Science Museum is right there, the Hampton History Museum is there, and over on Queen Street there are a few boutique-y shops and decent restaurants. It's very much a Festival town - Bay Days, Blackbeard Festival, etc. Wednesdays, the Yacht Club has Regatta, and there's the Carousel downtown, also. I've just discovered a really GOOD hair salon, Van Gar, and there are block parties every week. So it's got a few things to offer. It's not really urban living, though. (oh yeah - the Hampton Public Library - main branch - is within walking distance - around 4 blocks.)

The drawback is that you have to get in your car and drive for groceries; there are no bodegas, no markets within walking distance other than the short-lived summer Farmer's Market. Outside of this neighborhood, Hampton sprawls into suburbia, but unless you have to drive out there, you can forget it's there. I love the neighborhood and the people in it. They are truly some fine people. I just don't like the Hampton Roads area, period. It's just me - some absolutely love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okivaughan View Post
Looking to relocate to the Hampton Roads area, but unable to find any 'neighborhood' info. Looking for an established, vibrant neighborhood - no suburban sprall, no strip malls, but has alot of character, cozy restaurants and boutiques within walking distance to good homes, parks and schools. Not wanting to sound too 'Fairy Tale', but I wan't to live in a vibrant 'urban' rather than 'suburban' neighborhood where I am still able to walk through the neighborhood. Looking to spend $350-450K.

Is this doable in Hampton Roads? Where should I look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area