Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM

290 posts, read 1,155,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darzz1 View Post
I have to agree w/you! Traffic is a nightmare and CRIME is terrible!

Ofcourse,, there are good things about living here. There are many worse
places then Hampton Roads. But.. If I had it to do again I would think
twice about coming here. Due to crime,, gangs etc
Oh my, please stop, Crime is not much of an issue at all for Va Beach, you all seriously over hype your crime problem, everyone must be from Montana or something. Yes, Norfolk and Portsmouth are close but crime from those cities doesnt usually spill over into Va Beach and those cities themselves arent THAT bad. You all are turning people around from the area, with wrong info at that.

And basically the same for traffic, its a metropolitan area and a tourist area with 1.6 million people, what do you expect! Any metro area around the U.S. is the same way or worse, you can just look a little north at the DC Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 226,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Oh my, please stop, Crime is not much of an issue at all for Va Beach, you all seriously over hype your crime problem, everyone must be from Montana or something. Yes, Norfolk and Portsmouth are close but crime from those cities doesnt usually spill over into Va Beach and those cities themselves arent THAT bad. You all are turning people around from the area, with wrong info at that.

And basically the same for traffic, its a metropolitan area and a tourist area with 1.6 million people, what do you expect! Any metro area around the U.S. is the same way or worse, you can just look a little north at the DC Metro.
Amen to that!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM

93 posts, read 390,287 times
Living in VA Beach has its ups and downs. Since I've lived there for most of my life, I pretty much left, as I was tired of the superficiality of the resort area....yuck.

I really liked the Shore Drive/Ocean Park area; they're building it up with some nice shops and recently built a nice new fire department and grocery store. There are a few apartment complexes down there, and you can walk to a lot of places. Rents can be high, so I would also look at craigslist, to see if any one is renting out a home. Don't sell yourself short of nice place; anything lower than 500/600 a month, and you'll be in the 'hood.

The VA Beach Library is quite nice, but it's very crowded and congested near that area, as that's where the New Towne Center is. It's just a plain mess, and very noisy. I wouldn't live near that area, for the sake of my sanity!

The libray down near the resort area is OK, but is showing its age. Not bad down there during the winter, but again, a complete disaster during the summer months.

Best of luck to you for your search!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:05 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,411,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7citiesVA View Post
Amen to that!
Absolutely...it's nothing compared to the places I've been. You have to get out and see the country folks, cuz VB is awesome!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 15,879 times
Default L.E.Goonies

Are the LE GOONIES white , black, or mexicano?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

520 posts, read 1,620,868 times
I think it's called a donk.

Well a Donk is an old car sitting on 22's or 26's.

Here you see more Caprices. For people who hate cops so much, they sure love cop cars:

Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM

548 posts, read 1,475,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I'm looking at places to move and am considering Virginia Beach. I have no kids, so schools are not an issue. I'm an older person looking to rent, and want to be near a good library. I've visited Virginia Beach several times in the past, but always to vacation, so I have no idea what it would be like to live there. Am wondering what rents are like, how crowded the area is, safety, crime, driving, all the things that make/break daily living.

Any info is appreciated.
I think The Crossings at Red Mill apartments would be a good fit for you. I have had friends who lived there and liked it. I'm not sure what the cost of rent is, but it is convenient to a lof of things. I copied this from their website: Within 5 Miles of the Community
  • Amphitheater
  • Hospital
  • 3 Golf Courses
  • A Tennis Facility
  • Parks & Wildlife
  • Ocean Breeze Waterpark
  • Boating
  • Fishing
  • Surfing
  • Virginia [SIZE=2]Aquarium[/SIZE]
  • Mariner's Soccer Stadium
  • Camping
  • Canoeing
  • Kayaking
  • Biking
  • An Equestrian Center
  • Strawbridge Skating Center
  • Public Libraries
  • Movie Theatres
  • Banks
  • Health Services
  • Shopping
  • 37 Great Restaurants
  • Princess Anne Recreation Center

Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 42,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenj01 View Post
I will be moving to Bakers Crossing off of Bakers RD in Va Beach, Va. I know this complex is adjacent to the notorious Lake Edwards, which I heard was a bad neighborhood, so I am a bit weary about this area. I am not rich, never have, and have been in not so good neighborhoods and good neighborhoods before. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this area, especially within Bakers Crossing. There are three sections to Bakers Crossing which consist of the Leasing office side (which is next to Lake Edwards, then on the other side of Bakers Rd (directly across the street)there is another section, and if you travel past that section and go farther down Hampshire there are another set of apartments which are also Bakers Crossing ( I think it is closer to Diamond Springs Rd). Since I am not technically next to Lake Edward and pretty far off from the leasing office...will that be really bad. I have just seen the apartments..the inside is immaculate with upgrades that are really impressive. For the amount of space, price, and immenities in regards to me being a now single parent it seems affordable and spacious. I just want to make sure its not in a really bad neighborhood...I have seen worse..downtown newport news and I wouldn't even think about living there. Any relevant advice would be fantastic..thanks!

I used to live in "The Hamptons" apartment complex just a few blocks from where you'll be living. I was a young female college student and lived with another female at the time. It's not a terribly dangerous neighborhood by any means. However, I would not live there again. When I did live there I didn't feel like I would be attacked or shot down every time I left my apartment but I did use common sense and was always aware of my surrounds and what was going on around me. It's all relative really and depends on what your used to. I grew up in a very safe quiet town in NJ and didn't experience much crime growing up. However, we weren't that far from Trenton and Newark NJ and there are neighborhoods in those cities I wouldn't feel safe DRIVING through during the DAY! There aren't any neighborhoods that are that bad in VA Beach.

Do some research on the schools. Your child/children would go to Newtown Elementary, Bayside Middle and Bayside Highschool I believe.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,664,787 times
Virginia Beach for the most part is very safe. I moved here from NYC and it is very safe. The places that are not safe maybe are the apts complex. but for the most part it is safe. Also here is boring lol. but it is a city though that is growing.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,411,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk08551 View Post
I used to live in "The Hamptons" apartment complex just a few blocks from where you'll be living. I was a young female college student and lived with another female at the time. It's not a terribly dangerous neighborhood by any means. However, I would not live there again. When I did live there I didn't feel like I would be attacked or shot down every time I left my apartment but I did use common sense and was always aware of my surrounds and what was going on around me. It's all relative really and depends on what your used to. I grew up in a very safe quiet town in NJ and didn't experience much crime growing up. However, we weren't that far from Trenton and Newark NJ and there are neighborhoods in those cities I wouldn't feel safe DRIVING through during the DAY! There aren't any neighborhoods that are that bad in VA Beach.

Do some research on the schools. Your child/children would go to Newtown Elementary, Bayside Middle and Bayside Highschool I believe.
Betty F. Williams elementary is there as well. I lived near that neighborhood for 20 years. When they got rid of the bars in that area, it became much safer. I also believe Lake Edwards has cleaned up since the 3rd precinct moved into the 7-11 on Baker Road. It would be much, much nicer if they got rid of the section 8's. There are many new condo communitites going up around Cypress and Newtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area