Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 76,521 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at places to move and am considering Virginia Beach. I have no kids, so schools are not an issue. I'm an older person looking to rent, and want to be near a good library. I've visited Virginia Beach several times in the past, but always to vacation, so I have no idea what it would be like to live there. Am wondering what rents are like, how crowded the area is, safety, crime, driving, all the things that make/break daily living.

Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 88,996 times
Smile Hello There

I HAVE LIVED IN VA BEACH MOST OF MY LIFE. I LOVE IT HERE. THERE ARE QUITE A FEW LIBRARIES. GO ON LINE www.vbgov.com AND SEE THE CITY WEB PAGE. OR CAN JUST TYPE IN VIRGINIA BEACH OFFICIAL WEB CITE. IF YOU GO TO THE POLICE SECTION YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE CRIME IN THE CITY. ITS A PRETTY GOOD SIZE CITY, WE HAVE OUR SHARE OF CRIME, BUT THEN ALL CITIES DO. HOMES ARE PRETTY EXPENSIVE, BUT I THINK ITS LIKE THAT IN ALOT OF CITIES. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO.
SANDY IN VA BEACH.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,561 times
Life in Va Bch has it's pros & cons. You can't buy a single family home for much under $300k, condos a little cheaper. The traffic is really bad and most places are crowded all the time. The crime is in issue here, especially in Norfolk & Portsmouth. Most people here are transplants from other places and somewhat friendly.
It does had nice Libraries here and plenty of them. There is lot's to do here and nice beach. But beware,,, very croweded, costly and I wouldn't go out at night just shopping or roaming around stores.
I hoped this help.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 181,468 times
Va Beach is getting very unsafe, growth in gangs and gang violence is growing fast..

Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM

19 posts, read 103,786 times
Gang violence is not an issue unless you're forced to live amongst the minimum wagers and illegal immigrants, of which there are few. Avoid areas near trailer parks and if something seems too good to be true, (like an apt or house 2 rent) -- it is, skip it. Big $$$ for rent and buying now in vabeach.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 PM

132 posts, read 673,964 times
If you are worried about crime, you need to stay at least 2 miles away from any Motel, Hotel, Apartment, Condo, or other place where people live in a high-density temporary setting. I was born and raised in Virginia Beach, but have lived in many places since then (Thank You USAF :-), and have learned that the best place to live is to live in areas where the everyone has a single-family residence in an area where there is no busineses, just homes. That's been my experience after living in Virginia Beach (24 years), Santa Clara/Los Altos, California (24 years), Bellevue, Washington (3 years), Winsor/Falcon/Peyton, Colorado (3 years), Mississippi (1 year), Illinois (1 year).

Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 80,133 times
virginia beach is changing for the worst

Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 AM

22 posts, read 179,263 times
Post Not so bad

Crime isn't so bad but its a little on the rise. Just have to be careful about the places you live. Lots of new construction homes (expensive) going up all the time but there's still a few places that aren't too outrageous. If you like downtown type feeling, new restaurants, stores, and high rises going up all the time. New performing arts center and new convention center. Lots of tourists in the summertime though. Some historic sites as well. And its relatively close to lots of malls, beaches, libraries, bookstores, etc.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 AM

201 posts, read 906,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
Gang violence is not an issue unless you're forced to live amongst the minimum wagers and illegal immigrants, of which there are few. Avoid areas near trailer parks and if something seems too good to be true, (like an apt or house 2 rent) -- it is, skip it. Big $$$ for rent and buying now in vabeach.

Gee, I wonder what the average wage of all the endless numbers of service related jobs that dominate the Virginia Beach economy is?

More "minimum wagers" then youd like to acknowledge, unfortunatley, call Virginia Beach home.

Furthermore, its not just "minimum wagers" that are forced to live in poor neighborhoods. My wife and I gross over 50k a year, and we could not afford to live in anything but a townhouse next to those "minimum wagers" and in neighborhoods with plenty of "gang violence".

In fact, I believe Lake Edward, the worst neighborhood by far in Virginia Beach, is the only affordable neighborhood left if you go by median salary.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 181,468 times
The Landstown Lakes and landstown meadows and also green run area is still affortable by middle class, a few other neiborhood pockets around the city also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area