Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelee spence View Post
can someone who has kids please tell me where i can find a house or apt to rent for around 700 month i want to move to va beach chelspence@yahoo.com
Good luck finding an apartment in Va Beach for $700 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
There's a library on Virginia Beach Blvd, across from Chili's, next to Loehman's Plaza and one on Kempsville road next to the 4th Precinct right before Providence intersection. The one on the blvd. works for us and they have a nice little theater in there where some local artist and past celebrities play. We saw Janice Ian there one time and Julie Clark, a local folk singer with some great music.
Can't forget about the library right next to the firehouse on S. Plaza (near Rosemont intersection) and the library next to Plaza Elementary. There's also a library over on Kempsville Rd not too far from Kempsville High School.

Along with the one on the blvd, those are the four I know of.

And when it comes to income:house ratios... at least according to data from this site (from 2005, I know...)

Estimated median household income in 2005: $58,545 (it was $48,705 in 2000)

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $231,400 (it was $123,200 in 2000)

What I see from this data is that the median household income went up 20% in the 5 year span... but the housing value has gone up nearly 200% and probably even higher now.

And.. you could probably find a one-bedroom in VA Bch for $700 - in a shady area.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,450,669 times
Yea, not much for 700. A nice studio will run ya around 8-900 in a decent area.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,241 times
Try craiglist, you might find something up there.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:37 PM

260 posts, read 1,190,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
The OP asked what it was like in Virginia Beach, and I was just explaining it. Yes there is traffic, rude drivers, rude people, crime, etc everywhere you go.

Even with a degree, you wouldn't make as much as you COULD make living in this area. This area is low paid compared to the home prices in this area. And not everybody who lives in this area, wants to work in or with the military.

I have to agree w/you! Traffic is a nightmare and CRIME is terrible!

Ofcourse,, there are good things about living here. There are many worse
places then Hampton Roads. But.. If I had it to do again I would think
twice about coming here. Due to crime,, gangs etc

Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darzz1 View Post
I have to agree w/you! Traffic is a nightmare and CRIME is terrible!

Ofcourse,, there are good things about living here. There are many worse
places then Hampton Roads. But.. If I had it to do again I would think
twice about coming here. Due to crime,, gangs etc
Crimes, gangs, etc. are EVERYWHERE! Let me tell you about Seattle....meth, meth, and meth users up the ying yang.
Florida...don't go out at night unless you carry a weapon.
Texas...the armpit of america.
California...not much better than texas and you CAN'T afford to live there!

I'd rather live here than anywhere else. Oh yea, and if you think Hawaii is paradise? Let me tell you about the woman who was robbed by a local not 50 yards from us while we were walking back from the zoo!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,241 times
Like it was said before, there are worse places than here, but there are also better places to live than here. It's all about personal preference.

I had no choice in living here, I was born here. But it is my home and will also call it that. But the first chance I get to get out of here, I will take it!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Like it was said before, there are worse places than here, but there are also better places to live than here. It's all about personal preference.

I had no choice in living here, I was born here. But it is my home and will also call it that. But the first chance I get to get out of here, I will take it!
Well I can tell ya...I'm not orginally from here. I, like you, had that very same mentality. "Get me outta this place, it's boring and I want some adventure." I did just that, have had the time of my life, met people from all walks of life and call VB home. I rarely go back home to visit, cuz it's so boring, low incomes, crime there isn't like ours, it's worse an I'm just having too much fun living life here.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 77,090 times
Honestly, I haven't read all the posts, but you might take a look at Chesapeake. They have an excellent library system. It's not quite as built up as Virginia Beach, but you're still pretty close to everywhere.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 19,461 times
Default Bakers crossing in Va Beach

I will be moving to Bakers Crossing off of Bakers RD in Va Beach, Va. I know this complex is adjacent to the notorious Lake Edwards, which I heard was a bad neighborhood, so I am a bit weary about this area. I am not rich, never have, and have been in not so good neighborhoods and good neighborhoods before. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this area, especially within Bakers Crossing. There are three sections to Bakers Crossing which consist of the Leasing office side (which is next to Lake Edwards, then on the other side of Bakers Rd (directly across the street)there is another section, and if you travel past that section and go farther down Hampshire there are another set of apartments which are also Bakers Crossing ( I think it is closer to Diamond Springs Rd). Since I am not technically next to Lake Edward and pretty far off from the leasing office...will that be really bad. I have just seen the apartments..the inside is immaculate with upgrades that are really impressive. For the amount of space, price, and immenities in regards to me being a now single parent it seems affordable and spacious. I just want to make sure its not in a really bad neighborhood...I have seen worse..downtown newport news and I wouldn't even think about living there. Any relevant advice would be fantastic..thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area