Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,739 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that I can get some help from all of the great folks on this forum. My husband and I have visited Williamsburg on numerous occasions with it currently being our first choice for retirement in the next year or so. We are both from southern states, but have been living in the upper Midwest and desire a warmer climate, but still a change of seasons. We appreciate that Williamsburg appears to offer many opportunities for outdoor activities, is not far from water, would be agreeable for our liberal-leaning tendencies, is a college town, offers volunteer opportunities, learning opportunities for seniors, and is just overall a beautiful, interesting place. As we do not know anyone there, we want to be involved and not have a hard time meeting others. Hopefully, those of you who live there can confirm that we are on target with our assessment.

We are trying to narrow down neighborhoods. Most importantly, we want to be close to everything including William & Mary and Colonial Williamsburg since we do see ourselves volunteering and taking classes, for example. If we could walk and/or ride bikes that would be even better. Being near the Williamsburg airport would also be a huge plus since my husband is a pilot. We hope to stay in the $600,000 or less range – 3 bedrooms (master first floor) and maybe a bonus room or basement, 2 ½-3 baths, a nice kitchen, a family room (no formal living room needed), at least a 2-car garage as my husband has his projects, and a yard we could fence for a dog would be more than sufficient. We are in our early 60s and very active – we do not want a 55+ community.

The communities close by that we have considered are Port Anne and Holly Hills, although I know a lot of those houses tend to be bigger and more expensive than we are considering.

Also New Town, and we would be willing to build, but I wonder how many retirees are in the development as opposed to families and if it would be tough to meet people. We would be willing to do new construction, but I worry about the location of Shirley Park where the new construction seems to be as it appears further away from the heart of New Town and close to all the big box shopping. If that is not a good option, what would be the best other options in New Town?

Finally, we looked at Ford’s Colony which was our favorite of the gated communities as it seemed more relaxed than the others. We could certainly find a home we liked, but it is further away and we are not golfers, so I wonder about having to pay fees to essentially support the golf course, particularly if the popularity of golf decreases in the future and even more support is needed from homeowners.

I apologize in advance that this is long, but if folks could comment or any part of this post on which you may have knowledge, I would be so appreciative. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 AM

102 posts, read 133,433 times
We don't currently live in Williamsburg, are retired and are also considering Williamsburg for a relocation. I will appreciate seeing answers that address "liberal leaning" environment in Williamsburg. That is an important criteria for me. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
We were seriously considering Williamsburg for retirement and also feel in love with Fords Colony. We bought a lot there but decided not to build for a number of reasons and retired instead to Charleston, SC.

One thing that may be a consideration for you is that a lot of the homes in Fords Colony are very dated and will need lots of upgrading. It is a beautiful place though. I would also check out the golf course/club situation and it went through some financial hardship that seemed to affect values there for some time.

We also liked New Town for it's proximity to things. There were reports at one time of ongoing crime there, and lots of renters vs owners. Don't know if that has changed.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:24 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
We don't currently live in Williamsburg, are retired and are also considering Williamsburg for a relocation. I will appreciate seeing answers that address "liberal leaning" environment in Williamsburg. That is an important criteria for me. Thanks.
The college area of Williamsburg is "liberal leaning". This is a small part of what makes up "Williamsburg".

Locals will refer to James City County as "Williamsburg" as well.

Much of the area around the college is quite conservative.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:00 AM

102 posts, read 133,433 times
Default Williamsburg - area near college versus residential areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
The college area of Williamsburg is "liberal leaning". This is a small part of what makes up "Williamsburg".

Locals will refer to James City County as "Williamsburg" as well.

Much of the area around the college is quite conservative.
Thanks for your answer. There are some retirement and condo communities in Williamsburg. Would they be considered the "area around" and likely quite conservative? Would you know of any communities in Williamsburg that might be considered within the area around the college / liberal leaning?

Thanks for any additional insight.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:35 PM

334 posts, read 263,647 times
I am also exploring Virginia as a retirement destination and look to Williamsburg with interest.
I'm single and would prefer an area that isn't all families/couples but is more diverse. Like the OP, I don't golf so living in a golf community is not my goal. Either is an over55 community.
However, excellent medical care is important. What is the best hospital close by? Are physicians in adequate supply?
Liberal leaning/progressive is preferred. I notice on Zillow that there are many new construction homes listed and I wonder if anyone knows what new build condo developments are close to William and Mary.
What is the closest major airport?
I appreciate any insights, info.
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
To michmom22 I moved to Williamsburg 17 years ago from Annapolis Md. At that point my kids were five and six. It was a great place to live and raise children. My office is in New Town and I live about five minutes from there. You can actually get to most any place in Williamsburg in 15 minutes or less no matter where you are. I’ll try to answer your questions one by one. First of all there is no financial connection between the golf course and the Fords Colony homeowners. The golf course is owned by club Corp. and homeowners do not contribute in anyway towards it. There are quite a few non-golfers that live there and only about 20% of the homeowners are golfers. One nice benefit of the country club is the restaurant thats open to the public. So there’s a place to eat without leaving the neighborhood. Fords Colony is very convenient to most points. It’s an easy bike ride to Colonial Williamsburg. Another great benefit of living there is all of the social clubs and activities there are 50+ different clubs you can join. Port Ann and Holly Hills are nice options if you want to be in close proximity to Colonial Williamsburg. You will tend to pay more the closer you get to the college and Colonial Williamsburg. Yorkshire is adjacent to Holly Hill‘s so that might be another possibility there’s also the Walnut Hills neighborhood and a few neighborhoods right near the college like Indian springs. Those neighborhoods will tend to be homes built in the 50s 60s and 70s and might need some renovation but these are short walking distances to Colonial Williamsburg.

New Town has become a very popular option for retirees. Shirley Village is a little bit further from the Main Street Shops but it’s really not that far. There’s a trail through the woods that can take you there a little more directly.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
I am also exploring Virginia as a retirement destination and look to Williamsburg with interest.
I'm single and would prefer an area that isn't all families/couples but is more diverse. Like the OP, I don't golf so living in a golf community is not my goal. Either is an over55 community.
However, excellent medical care is important. What is the best hospital close by? Are physicians in adequate supply?
Liberal leaning/progressive is preferred. I notice on Zillow that there are many new construction homes listed and I wonder if anyone knows what new build condo developments are close to William and Mary.
What is the closest major airport?
I appreciate any insights, info.
Thanks!
We have two great hospitals in Williamsburg to choose from, Synterra and Riverside both of them have great reputations. There are no new condo developments in close proximity to Colonial Williamsburg it’s doubtful there ever will be as there’s very little developable land. Colonial Williamsburg owns one parcel that could possibly be developed but if anything I would assume these would be upper and townhomes.

By the way new construction listings on Zillow can be a bit deceiving. First of all they are typically based pricing. So expect to add at least 10% or even 20% to that price for a finished option home.

Closest airports are Richmond international, RIC, or Newport News, PHF, or Norfolk international, ORF. If I’m booking a trip somewhere I typically will search flights Out of those airports in that order.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:54 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmom22 View Post
I am hoping that I can get some help from all of the great folks on this forum. My husband and I have visited Williamsburg on numerous occasions with it currently being our first choice for retirement in the next year or so. We are both from southern states, but have been living in the upper Midwest and desire a warmer climate, but still a change of seasons. We appreciate that Williamsburg appears to offer many opportunities for outdoor activities, is not far from water, would be agreeable for our liberal-leaning tendencies, is a college town, offers volunteer opportunities, learning opportunities for seniors, and is just overall a beautiful, interesting place. As we do not know anyone there, we want to be involved and not have a hard time meeting others. Hopefully, those of you who live there can confirm that we are on target with our assessment.

We are trying to narrow down neighborhoods. Most importantly, we want to be close to everything including William & Mary and Colonial Williamsburg since we do see ourselves volunteering and taking classes, for example. If we could walk and/or ride bikes that would be even better. Being near the Williamsburg airport would also be a huge plus since my husband is a pilot. We hope to stay in the $600,000 or less range – 3 bedrooms (master first floor) and maybe a bonus room or basement, 2 ½-3 baths, a nice kitchen, a family room (no formal living room needed), at least a 2-car garage as my husband has his projects, and a yard we could fence for a dog would be more than sufficient. We are in our early 60s and very active – we do not want a 55+ community.

The communities close by that we have considered are Port Anne and Holly Hills, although I know a lot of those houses tend to be bigger and more expensive than we are considering.

Also New Town, and we would be willing to build, but I wonder how many retirees are in the development as opposed to families and if it would be tough to meet people. We would be willing to do new construction, but I worry about the location of Shirley Park where the new construction seems to be as it appears further away from the heart of New Town and close to all the big box shopping. If that is not a good option, what would be the best other options in New Town?

Finally, we looked at Ford’s Colony which was our favorite of the gated communities as it seemed more relaxed than the others. We could certainly find a home we liked, but it is further away and we are not golfers, so I wonder about having to pay fees to essentially support the golf course, particularly if the popularity of golf decreases in the future and even more support is needed from homeowners.

I apologize in advance that this is long, but if folks could comment or any part of this post on which you may have knowledge, I would be so appreciative. Thanks in advance.
Holly Hills is a fabulous choice. I say this because my husband and I lived in that wonderful community for 4 years, when we first retired, and we were absolutely enchanted with Williamsburg, Virginia and our neighborhood that was within walking distance of CW.

Williamsburg itself is ideally geographically located IMO and Holly Hills is wonderfully situated within Williamsburg. Close to highway access and as mentioned CW (Colonial Williamsburg) and all the other local attractions. The neighborhood is beautifully side-walked, flowered and treed and somewhat eclectic. At least when we were there. Community dues minimal. Would still be soaking up all that this wonderful town and community has to offer if myriad grandchildren hadn't appeared and congregated in Pennsylvania.

Taxes are astonishing in a great way! You won't believe it!

Old 02-29-2020, 04:08 PM

By the way they just announced a new housing development will be built about a quarter-mile away from the visitors center off bypass Road. It’s going to be detached homes in the 300 to 425k price range. I am hoping for a decent quality builder but most likely it will be one of the national volume builders, sadly. This was just announced so nothing has been started I would guess it’s at least a year and a half to two years before we see the first home built and sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area