Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 PM

40 posts, read 229,357 times

Advertisements

Hello...my husband and I and our twin girls may be moving to the area. He would be working at the Eastern Virginia Medical School. I am a nurse, so I feel pretty confident that I could get a job somewhere nearby. Our twin girls would be entering pre-k or kindergarten at that time. So elementary public schools are VERY important. Although, for as much as we pay for daycare now in NJ, private school may be an option. We may only be in the area for 3-4 years so that is why we are only worried about elementary schools.

We are both born and bred in NC and are looking forward to heading back south. Price range $325-350,000. We would really like to have 3 bedrooms, but 2 bedrooms is all that is necessary.

We really want an area that is safe, not "cookie-cutter houses", good schools, and a good commute to EVMS. We have been reading about the
Ghent neighborhood and it seems to be out of our price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Virginia Beach has nice elementary schools. I'm not familiar with the whole state of New Jersey, but most of the places on the coast I've visited didn't seem as wholesome as most of the areas here. I wouldn't live in Ghent with small children. Ghent IMO is for young adults and professionals who don't need a yard or have young children going to school.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Personally, I don't think Ghent would be the best fit with little ones. I don't like much about Norfolk (I do like Ghent, just wouldnt want to live there - it is more like the city, not the suburbs). Not crazy about Va Beach either. To me, it is too far away from the rest of HR - only one main way in and out.
Chesapeake is more central to the area.

I really like the Churchland (I am ready to be slammed here) area of Portsmouth, the Western Branch area of Chesapeake and the Harborview area of Suffolk. All those places are close together. All are close to the hwy, bridges and plenty of hospitals. You are about 10-15 min max to EVMS and there are 2 brand new stand alone ER's next to Harvorview. Obici Hospital in Suffolk is almost brand new and a very nice facility. Also, this part of HR still has lots of open land with a more laid back feel, yet close to shopping.

Your price range will treat you nicely in HR. No problem getting a 3/2 in that range, and probably less.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM

213 posts, read 568,079 times
Ghent or Larchmont, which have wonderful public schools plus it would be a close commute for work, also for you there is 2 hospitals within a 5-10 mile radius.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:55 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,933 times
Ehhh. I am not so sure about Ghent with young kids. I mean I do see some around here and for sure its a nice area.
But this area has a lot of punks from ODU and then the yuppy young-professionals. I could be biased though since I am part of the latter. But otherwise I have nothing bad to say about GHENT..i mean stray to far from here yea there is some not so great around here in Norfolk esp. for young kids and I am thinking they wouldn't be fitting in too well.

Portsmouth? With Kids? I'd say no to that for sure.

My vote is for VA Beach also.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Ehhh. I am not so sure about Ghent with young kids. I mean I do see some around here and for sure its a nice area.
But this area has a lot of punks from ODU and then the yuppy young-professionals. I could be biased though since I am part of the latter. But otherwise I have nothing bad to say about GHENT..i mean stray to far from here yea there is some not so great around here in Norfolk esp. for young kids and I am thinking they wouldn't be fitting in too well.

Portsmouth? With Kids? I'd say no to that for sure.

My vote is for VA Beach also.
Yes, Churchland with kids is absolutely fine. I live there, I know. The neighborhoods are well established and close to everything.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 AM

45 posts, read 172,641 times
There are several websites that you can check for properties in the greater Hampton Road: HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com (Home search/listing directory), Dragas Companies | Dragas.com (new home construction), Ainslie-Widener :: Make Yourself At Home (new home construction), www.cheshomes.com (new home construction), Tidewater Builders Association, Franciscus Homes - Home (new home construction), Homes for Sale, Land, Real Estate, New Homes, Agents : HomesAndLand, Real Estate Listings - Homes for Sale - Point2 Homes. (http://www.homes.point2.com - broken link), REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale. These are great sites to check for homes within your price range.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 23,447 times
I'm from Va Beach, lived in Chesapeake for a few years and not I live in Norfolk. I vote Va Beach. It's very family friendly and theres always lots to do. Theres TONS of stores, restaurants, outdoor opportunities...etc. You really wouldn't ever have to leave Va Beach, unless you wanted to do the things that DT Norfolk has to offer. Plus you can't beat having the ocean so close by!

I'd never recommend Norfolk for a family. If your single or a young couple with no kids, then Norfolk could be great but with small kids, no no no. A lot of the city is sketchy and a lot of the buildings are old and not taken care of the way they should be. Ghent is nice, but I still wouldn't move there with kids.

I'd also recommend Chesapeake. Pretty similar to Va Beach but way more suburban and theres a lot more open space and trees. Check out Greenbrier, Great Bridge, Western Branch and Hickory areas. So choose Va Beach or Chesapeake, especially since you can afford it. Norfolk and Portsmouth, NO!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
I don't see why raising kids in Ghent would be an issue. I see lots of kids in Ghent every time I'm there. It's not the 'burbs, but so what? If your kids have some street smarts they'd be fine. West Ghent is definitely worth looking into.

Have you looked into the area around DePaul hospital? Belvedere, Talbot Park, and Cromwell Farms are all very nice neighborhoods. No cookie-cutter houses and less dense than Ghent. And the commute to EVMS wouldn't be bad at all. Also check out Riverview and Colonial Place. Lafayette is close by as well, and so is Lakewood, Meadowbrook, and Lochhaven. If these are out of price range, Bayview would probably work. I have a friend who's daughter goes to Bayview Elementary and loves it.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I don't see why raising kids in Ghent would be an issue. I see lots of kids in Ghent every time I'm there. It's not the 'burbs, but so what? If your kids have some street smarts they'd be fine. West Ghent is definitely worth looking into.

Have you looked into the area around DePaul hospital? Belvedere, Talbot Park, and Cromwell Farms are all very nice neighborhoods. No cookie-cutter houses and less dense than Ghent. And the commute to EVMS wouldn't be bad at all. Also check out Riverview and Colonial Place. Lafayette is close by as well, and so is Lakewood, Meadowbrook, and Lochhaven. If these are out of price range, Bayview would probably work. I have a friend who's daughter goes to Bayview Elementary and loves it.
I totally agree. I lived in Ghent for 7 years and thought it was very kid-friendly. I loved the architecture and style of the homes....not cookie-cutter at all. You have tons of restaurants, Chrysler Museum, Town Point Park just to name a few of the attractions. I also lived in Va Beach & Chesapeake and I would choose to live in Ghent, hands down. That's just my personal preference though. Although, I wouldn't have minded living in the Chick's Beach area of VB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area