Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,268 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Navy and we are looking into moving to the Norfolk area. We live in San Diego right now but have lived near Portland, Oregon and New Orleans. I have never been to Virginia so I had a few questions about the climate and neighborhoods. First of all, How humid is it in Norfolk? Is it unbearable during the summer? Does it snow at all? Does it rain alot? When we lived in WA it rained all the time and was overcast 8 months out of the year. It got kinda depressing!!!! I was hoping VA is sunnier!!!
What neighborhoods are good to raise a family but not too far from the Navy bases? I was looking at Virginia Beach but I didnt know what the traffic was like getting to Norfolk. Does anybody know anything about the military housing in Norfolk? Are they located in nice neighborhoods? Are they rundown?
Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM

98 posts, read 784,076 times
It will help us if you tell us what your budget for a house is, if you already have children and if those children will go to the public schools and which Navy base are you talking about? Oceana? Little Creek?

As for the your questions about weather, humidity is present for sure but I wouldn't describe it as unbearable- sure there are days when it IS unbearable, but not every single day of the summer. I moved here from St. Louis and that place is humid, unbearable nearly each day from June- September!!! Compared to New Orleans I don't think you will find this area nearly as humid!!!! I have no complaints about the amount of rain- spring can get pretty wet but that is normal. Hampton Roads has a decent amount of sunshine. Surely not as much as San Diego!!! It hardly snows here but it can certainly happen.

Let us know some more about your housing needs and we might be able to help with neighborhoods!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,268 times
Our budget for a house is under $275,000 or under $1400 a month if we are renting. we have 2 children, 7 and 3 years old, so we would need a 3 bedroom. he would be stationed at either the main Naval Bases (not sure of the name) in Norfolk or the Naval air station (oceana, I think). our children would go to Public school.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM

98 posts, read 784,076 times
Near Oceana, there are some neighborhoods that will fit in your budget. Two I know of are Ocean Lakes and Red Mill Farms. Renting is always a good option and for 1400 you should find a decent house to rent.

As for school districts, try to avoid Bayside, Salem and Green Run. Those are high schools and there "might" be a decent elem. school that feeds into them- that I am not sure of- you would have to check greatschools.net to look at test scores and other criteria important to you.

There are other members here that will be able to provide some feedback to your questions so you have certainly come to a good place to get answers! When is it you plan to move?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM

26 posts, read 65,067 times
I live in Ocean Lakes and we are going to move soon to Charleston,SC. I have a 3 bedroom,2bth home that is going to go on the market soon in a great school district. We love it here but my husband is getting relocated to Charleston for work. We have great pools, close to the beach, and shopping and all the bases are withing commuting distance. My husband works at Little Creek in Norfolk everyday.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 PM

45 posts, read 172,575 times
You can contact the Navy Housing Welcome Center at Hampton Blvd, Norfolk at 757-961-3783 who can assist you in checking out the availability of navy housing closest the naval stations at Norfolk, Oceana, Dam Neck or Little Creek. To check on the neighborhood and what establishments are close to it use the site www.walkscore.com. If you can tell me what base he will be stationed at, I will provide you the list of properties available within your price range, if any.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:29 AM

45 posts, read 172,575 times
I checked the MLS and found single family homes for sale in Norfolk and Virginia Beach areas within your price range built after 2000. Also, there are rental properties in these areas within your price range. Find out what parents or students are saying about the schools in these areas by going to Trulia.com. You can also search for single homes and rental properties at www.point2homes.com, www.realestatebook.com, www.craigslist.org, www.realtor.com and the www.pilotonline.com (go to classified section home and rental search).

Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaSD View Post
Our budget for a house is under $275,000 or under $1400 a month if we are renting. we have 2 children, 7 and 3 years old, so we would need a 3 bedroom. he would be stationed at either the main Naval Bases (not sure of the name) in Norfolk or the Naval air station (oceana, I think). our children would go to Public school.
Either way, you want to live near Windsor Woods elementary school. It's a very nice area for children and a new school was just built last year. Mt. Trashmore is a wonderful city park with nice picnic areas, skate board ramp, walking/jogging track and other things that serve the public. There are a few 3 bedroom ranch homes with nice yards going for around 240,000. I wouldn't buy in Norfolk just because he may be at Norfolk Naval Station or Near Oceana (the jet noise will drive you nuts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area