U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 13,478 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just recently graduated and recieved my bachelor's degree from an in state school in Pennsylvania. I am looking for a change of scenery to do my Masters and have seriously been considering ODU as a top contender. I have been to the Norfolk/Va Beach area once before when my cousin was doing his undergrad at NSU and I was enamored with the atmosphere. I have done quiet a bit of studying of ODU online over the last several months but I am still curious as to if whether or not it would even be worth my time. Any help that you can offer me will be greatly appreciated! Specifically if you could, please tell me:

1. What is the area like, good and bad.
2. How is the school on a scale from 1-10...10 being the best
3. How diverse is both the school and the area?
4. How is the cost of living?
5. How abundant is student housing (I would be a grad student)?
6. Is the crime rate high?
7. Is there alot to do there?
8. Is it someplace that once I graduate that I might consider staying?
9. What are the tuition and fees like?

Etc, etc etc

Thank you in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 AM

165 posts, read 514,273 times
1. What is the area like, good and bad.
The campus was nice, but (when I attended) the neighborhoods were rather bleak around the campus - wouldnt walk the street at night. There were some nice homes a few miles north of the campus though.

2. How is the school on a scale from 1-10...10 being the best.
6-7. It's a commuter university so as soon as classes are done the population is mostly gone.

3. How diverse is both the school and the area?
Good mix of nationalities attend.

4. How is the cost of living?
Dependent upon what your interest is and income level.

5. How abundant is student housing (I would be a grad student)?
Can't comment

6. Is the crime rate high?
Crime can happen any where.

7. Is there alot to do there?
You have your options, but it may not be as much as say Atlanta.

8. Is it someplace that once I graduate that I might consider staying?
I left due to better job prospects. There are plenty of DoD options, and you could seek employement in one of the many cities in hampton roads.

9. What are the tuition and fees like?
Affordable compared to central VA colleges.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM

257 posts, read 1,063,889 times
Hi there, I grew up in Northern Virginia and when college came around i considered ODU and I happy to say that I didnt go and watched my friends hate it and not me. The area is pretty much naval based run down area. There are hot spots for sure that are very upper class and very nice, but i would say the majority is not the best atmosphere. I would grade the school without consideration of the area at about a 5-6. They were not helpful what so ever when i was interested. I have also heard horror stories from close to 10 friends that i knew that went there. alot of faculty is adjunct so therefore its their part time job, very hard to get ahold of. I was once told that my friends teacher would assign a project and no class for the next 3 weeks while you complete it, and she would email him and call and he would never be there or return.

diversity goes as follows

1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
7% Asian/Pacific Islander
24% Black/Non-Hispanic
4% Hispanic
60% White/Non-Hispanic
2% Non-Resident Alien
3% Race/ethnicity unreported

Cost of living is pretty high depending or what you are used too, if your a small town girl you will be in aww about how much your money WONT get you. check some local realtor sites and apartment guides for off campus living. Student housing i have heard is pretty packed and nothing to nice. for Graduates, i could honestly not tell ya.

Crime, being a naval town, tourist town, and a mixture of culture makes it not the best area by any means, but no matter where you are, it depends the type of person you are to get involved with crime.

Its a big city, all of them together, fairly decent weather until about late october, and starts back up late april.

I, myself, would never ever live there, it is not my scene, i am currently in Jacksonville and it has alot of the same aspects but it is way more spread out and has very nice settings around the beach. thats just me

Tuition and fees are as follows :
Living on-campus
In-state tuition and fees: $6,918
Out-of-state tuition and fees: $18,588
Room and board: $7,100
Books and supplies: $1,000
Estimated personal expenses: $1,875
Transportation expense: $1,000

Cost per credit hour:
Cost per credit hour (in-state): $224
Cost per credit hour (out-of-state): $613

If you want more information regarding the school, :: College Planning Made Easy | Inside Source for College Admissions Requirements is an amazing site

hope this helps, what are some other options if you are looking to VA?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,755,445 times
ODU has come a long way since some of you attended.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM

6,129 posts, read 9,419,324 times
I'm ODU class of "07. It has grown a lot in the past few years. I loved my time there, and will be attending grad school there as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM

110 posts, read 338,555 times
I attended ODU. It is a decent school. If you can stand being in class with a large number of underachievers know that many of them are weeded out by junior year. It's no Tech or UVA when it comes to admittance although there are some really smart people who do go to ODU who could go elsewhere. However, since you are talking about grad school you should not have to deal with that. They offer many programs. The area is not a good one. There is still lots of crime, particularly on one side of campus. I was always afraid walking to my car at night. A teacher was assaulted last year at night right on campus. She was pulled into some bushes. Ghent is probably the best area to rent in if you can't find something directly outside the school. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 AM

110 posts, read 338,555 times
Let me say also that I do think the education there is very good. ODU just needs to start being more selective. As for many students complaining, I will say that there are some lousy professors, but by and large most were very good. They do need to be more careful about who they keep and give tenure to and students need to check on Rate My Professor so they dont' get stuck with the notorious bad ones. Of course, every school has some of those! Remember, too, that some of the complainers are the lousy students. Not all, but some. Go visit the campus again and talk to the people before you decide. It is a big decision.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM

161 posts, read 653,875 times
I'm starting there in August, so I don't know much about the college yet. All I can say is that at night watch yourself. As with most college campuses, students are sitting ducks for easy crime. I've known a few people who have been robbed (one person who experienced worse, but that was in the early 90s), so either have a security guard walk you to your car (if you have night classes) or carry some form of protection with you.

You're not guaranteed danger. It's just typical safety precautions. I would advise by this no matter where you may be.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:44 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,375,886 times
I went to ODU in the mid to late '90's and never felt unsafe. I lived off campus, and worked during the day, so my classes were always evenings and weekends when it was less populated.

Of course, I moved there from the DC area - so I had street knowledge and common sense.

ODU was a fine school, and offered a quality & affordable education. While it did offer typical college social aspects, as mentioned, it's a commuter school - so many people were like me, working and attending... so I don't think it offered the "full college experience" as some other schools do... but working on your masters, that's not likely as important to you as it might be to a 1st year.

However, I lived in VA Beach and that was NOT an area I was interested in living in long term... and would not move back to.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM

121 posts, read 441,320 times
Seeing as i'm a current ODU student I guess I should weigh in. I'm 3/4 through my junior year and I have no complaints. Transfered here from TCC a year ago and I find the quality of the instructors and education here to be excellent. They are currently undergoing a massive building boom in the university village area and we will have a football team next year (thank God, you're not a real school unless you have a football team). I'm an EET major with a minor in engineering management. I was originally attracted to this school because their engineering program is regarded very highly in the industry, but i've found since attending that ODU has many more pluses than just that. The underachievers must be weeded out by junior year because i've seen none of them in my classes. All my classmates are serious as a heart attack, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area