Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,418 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've just moved to NN and will be commuting to Norfolk (Waterfront area) for work. I'm wondering what windows of time people suggest leaving for work in the morning (I'm thinking 6:30-7:00am) in order for a normal 8/8:30 start to the day. Also, I'm wondering if it's better to try to leave work exactly at 5pm to get a jump on the traffic on the commute home or if I should work a little later until maybe 6pm or so to avoid spending excess time in traffic? Also, to anyone who wants to suggest "change where you work/live", I appreciate the concern, but my places of working/living are non-negotiable so that advice really won't help me.

Oh, one more thing... anyone suggest trying the MAX buses? Part of me thinks it would cut down on driving stress/cost, but part of me thinks it won't be any faster and will add additional scheduling stress due to the bus schedules. I would probably drive to the Hampton Transit Center and then take the bus to the Waterfront. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 PM

209 posts, read 768,132 times
The rule I go by is, In the mornings and around lunch, I leave 1 hour and 30 minutes before I need to get somewhere. This gets me there usually on time. Also, if you don't need to go through the HRBT, don't. If you take the MMMBT you may be able to cut off 30 minutes, but it all depends on weather, tourist, bla bla bla... Also, watch out in the downtown tunnel if you take it. people love to nascar through there.

I do alot of driving and I've basicly gave up on doing anything between the times of 7AM-9AM and 12PM-2PM. I still have some chores to do around that time of the day, but I really prefer just sticking at home then. I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the neighbor. BTW, where are you originally from?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,418 times
Thanks Shoobie! That's very helpful! I'm from Hartford, CT, but am engaged to an Airman stationed at Langley. We decided that we'd had enough long distance, so since my life/work is more flexible than his, I decided to relocate. So far I really like it - it's a little hot and humid for my taste, but I think the winter weather will be totally worth it! I'm also very nervous about this commute - I used to have an 8 mile/20 minute commute, so I'm not looking forward to the tunnel commutes... But it's definitely worth it to be closer to my future DH!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 AM

It'd be cool. I was scared s*#@less when I first came here. I don't know how many times the first week I about wrecked. lol Just keep your cool, and you'll be ok. On, and watch the breaking when entering the tunnels. A lot of people slam on the breaks when entering and that is how we get these big 6 mile backups.

You'll do fine and if you don't, there is plenty of places to unwind. lol And, if you are wondering, I hail from WV. While we have some big highways here, there isn't nearly the same amount of cross traffic. It's insane how many on and off ramps there are here! Crazy... flippin' crazy.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,402,037 times
Try driving in Europe!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 PM

165 posts, read 546,363 times
Tunnel/bridge traffic was the worse there and rival 75 in atlanta. I debate at times which offers the most significant delays.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM

If I didn't love driving so much, I'd went crazy already. lol Only thing I'm missing is a pair of cool sunglasses.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 AM

673 posts, read 3,137,180 times
You'll become real familiar with the AM station 610....that's the traffic report. Make sure to have it programed in your car. Usually, not all of the time, but most of the time you can get a good idea of how to travel if you listen to that. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area