U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 AM

209 posts, read 712,801 times

Advertisements

I'm going to tell you a little about myself. I'm a ghost buff. I love ghost hunting and watching shows about it. Call me a retard, but it's one of my favorite pass times. I have no ideal what a ghost could be, but it fascinates me to no end.

Having said that, I want to know. Anyone else in this area have the same obsession as me? Is there any famous haunted places in this area? I though about this today because I heard to people from NC yammering on about the Cavalier Hotel and how the founder of Coors supposably jumped out of the window of his top-floor room and plummited to his death. If this place is truly hunted, I WANT TO STAY THERE!!!

*clears throat* So, how haunted is Hampton roads?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 AM

833 posts, read 4,571,535 times
I don't know about the Cavalier Hotel, but you can take ghost tours through Old Town Portsmouth in the fall. I think they also offer ghost tours of the Freemason Historic district in downtown Norfolk, too.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,496,892 times
We're heading down to St. Augustine next month. The lighthouse has been on TAPS and is haunted by the keeper's wife and children! I grew up in a house that was over 100 years old when my dad bought it. It had the butler door, a full basement with coal stove, the whole nine yards. Rumor had it from historians, that someone had died in my old bedroom. I was always listening for sounds when I got older and was home alone, before I left for college. It was a neat house and today, it's made into two seperate living areas (apts.). I wonder if they know! :-)

Old 08-03-2008, 10:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,584,638 times
The Ghost Tours are fun in Olde Towne and Freemason in the fall! Also, the Page House which is bed and breakfast in Norfolfk had paranormal experts there to check out the place and it apparently haunted. Williamsburg also has some haunted areas......

Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM

745 posts, read 2,020,209 times
I'll catch a few tv shows on the subject from time to time. There was a house in Chesapeake (not the lighthouse but an actual residence) that was on TAPS and you can still find a little about it on their website. I remember an episode on 'A Haunting' on the Discovery Channel that didn't give an exact location, but mentioned Williamsburg property records several times so I assume it was near Williamsburg. There's also quite a bit on the internet for various other places in the area. Seeing as how this area is one of the oldest in the nation with many native American tribes that were in the area before that, if you do your research I'm sure you can find quite a bit to get interested in.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 PM

I love ghost hunters. Their Halloween shows rock. I think it would be cool to go ghost hunting with a paranormal group here, but I'd be afraid it would be a bunch of yahoos like that other bunch on TV that always has some whacko physic or some crazy ideal to contact ghost. I wish I could remember the name of that show cause I HATE it. They run around with some fat dude in a white afro wig all night while he taked about how sad the place mad him. You know what, if I was middle aged, fat, and had a white afro, I'd be sad too!

But yea, I have been trying to find some info on haunted places here, but I don't have the time nor friends to do such an undertaking here. Back where I lived, there was an abandoned amusement park that is widely known. Me and my friend were going to stay there this Augest, but I don't think I'll get back for it now. that place is creepy. A friend of mine went there during the day to take photos and when she got back, there was one with what looked like a girl in a 30's style dress on the fariswheel. It was creepy and since then, we have been trying to stay the night there. lol

Old 08-03-2008, 03:25 PM

3,508 posts, read 12,496,892 times
check this one out
http://www.virginiaghosts.com/haunted_travel.php

Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM

31 posts, read 219,045 times
I hate the show with Linda Blair and the lady from the Poltergeist movies narrating them. The people's reactions to things are soooooo cheesy it's stupid.
Depending upon when you go, Berkeley Plantation hosts a Haunted Tour in October, I want to say it's October 17th or there abouts. The house is haunted.
Williamsburg is very haunted. I heard the Peyton Randolph house is the most haunted building. Any place with a lot of history will have accounts of hauntings, especially if there is a lot of tragedy surrounding it.
I love Charleston, SC for ghost hunting. The Carriage House Inn is so haunted I won't even go inside. You have a very high chance of seeing/experiencing some thing there, especially if you are a single female. I also love their Gullah(sp?) culture there. The Ghost Tour there of course is a tourist attraction, but there was one I took on the 1st night I was there. The guide wrote THE book that all of the other ghost tours rip off of.
Well, if you go to Charleston there is a ton more ghost stuff I can tell you.
Getting back to Virginia, it's would be a great place to go ghost hunting and I would love to go and do some ghost hunting with some professionals. But, I am a history buff and I love the history there. I would suggest picking up a couple of books and do some investigating on your own. As the touristy stuff is geared to all ages, so you have everyone's kids there. If they ever had an adult tour (as Charleston does) I would be there front and center because it doesn't have to be censored. About the best you can hope for is an chance experience on your own. The most exciting thing that happened to me was an orb in a pic. It was taken at the building called The Magazine in Colonial Williamsburg. I snapped a pic of an old fire engine because my Grandfather was a Fire fighter/Fire Chief. And I think it's just my Grandfather letting me know he was there with me and not something connected to The Magazine. But I do think The Magazine is haunted.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM

94 posts, read 357,144 times
Word is Elbow Road is haunted...though I don't know if that is just because you got city folk driving on a dark country road that feels like it is waaay outside of Chesapeake or Virginia Beach. Supposedly it was on A&E unsolved mysteries awhile ago (though the A&E part was from a friend don't know if that is entirely true).

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM

I guess I'll have to take a drive on Elbow Road one night to see. lol I'll look up some info on it.

@benjharrisons#1fan:
WOW! ALOT of info there. I will check out something this coming week. I got some friends coming down to stay with me and I'll drag them out. mwahahahahaha I didn't know there were so many ghost tours around here. The all-ages thing is a downer, but Charleston sounds like a winner. I'll check out some stuff there this coming week too. Sounds like great fun. Also, would you know if there is a paranormal socity-type group near by? I'd be awesome to talk to them and see what they've done, if they arn't a buch of yahoos. *See comment about about the A&E show.*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area