Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,352 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in West Virginia, and I am definitely going to move soon. I am thinking about moving to Suffolk, but I am worried about the job market there. Are there any jobs there? My wife has been in retail all of her life, and I will work just about anywhere, but I would preferably be placed in a help desk environment, like Comcast.

P.S. Are the rental properties, house or apartment, reasonable?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 PM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
HOLY CRAP! I move here then here comes the other 'eers. HaHA! I love it.

Suffolk is nice if you know where to live. Here is the thing though, this area is tight. There is about 7 cities all within 30 mins of each other. You can live in Suffolk and work in Newport News or Norfolk without any trouble.

As for reasonable, I don't think so. I was renting a house back in WV for about 500 a month with utilities. Here I'm playing 1000 bux for a 600sqf apartment with no utilities other than trash. Then again, it's the area. I'm getting payed alot more here than I was back in WV too. I've been hopping appartments since I moved here, so if you find anything nice give me a holler. lol

BTW, what part of WV are you from?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM

I will be leaving Charleston. f you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do? Me and my wife will be both looking for jobs; she is in the retail department.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:57 PM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
I work for two different IT groups here. There is ALOT of IT work here and it isn't a half bad place to live. Just be prepared for motion sickness from no mountains, bewilderment from a VERY confusing highway system, and stress from how people drive here. No ones ever heard of a turn signal before... <.< All in all, I'm good with this area now that I've gotten use to it.

BTW, tell Beckly high for me as you pass by. I miss WV alot. ;_;

Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,933 times
Another West Virginian eh lol. Lets go Mountaineers. Welcome to Virginia. Though this place is nothing like West Virginia I must say .
We have COX here..

Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 PM

COX, as in the cable company? If you are talking about the cable company, where is it? I'd love to try and get a job there.

Last edited by BigDog3421; 08-20-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: mispelled

Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,933 times
Well in West Virginia we had Adelphia. Google COX. You should be able to apply online for various jobs...

http://www.cox.com/CoxCareer/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area