Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times

Advertisements

1. Yea, you got me there. Down at the oceanfront it's a problem because parking is competitive. I'm thinking that the owners of the parking lots get a kickback from each tow, and the towing companies market their services to everyone with a parking lot. The companies are often scum. Heck Affordable Towing was pulling shoppers cars out of the Pembroke Mall parking lot during store hours because the mall ran out of parking spots and people parked where there weren't marked spots. Basically, they do it to make money. Lots of it. Feel free to boycot businesses based on these signs, or deface them.

2. Well, the driver can pull out of harms way and the cop will follow (just don't OJ it or VBPD will shoot you, lol). I think it's more a case of the person being pulled over doesn't do a good job and the police are behind them to protect them from getting hit (hopefully)

3. Where do you mean? The oceanfront? If so it's to keep the people from getting out of hand to please the tourists. Running speed traps? It's to tax the citizens.

Also we're 7 cities versus one, so there is going to be some inefficiency in this as compared to one large metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

13 posts, read 27,547 times
Well, not just the oceanfront. In several locations: along Virginia Beach Boulevard / Independence, for example. But there are many other areas. Just seemed odd to see so many signs like that.

Same goes for the police vehicles. There is quite a few of them cruising around; not just near the oceanfront.

thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffemaker View Post
Well, not just the oceanfront. In several locations: along Virginia Beach Boulevard / Independence, for example. But there are many other areas. Just seemed odd to see so many signs like that.

Same goes for the police vehicles. There is quite a few of them cruising around; not just near the oceanfront.

thanks
This metro has almost 2 million residents. VB is the most populated city in the state. It's going to have a strong police presence

Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 PM

148 posts, read 290,790 times
I know I posted some of this already in a different thread; but I want to further express my
utter disgust with the towing and ticketing system here. As I already stated elsewhere, our car
was towed from in front of our rented townhome, 10 minutes after my husband arrived home from work. This
was the day the car was dropped off. We were about to return the rental car to the airport.
It should have been readily obvious to this tow truck boy that someone was present in the house:
2 vehicles in the driveway, when for months, no vehicles were present. Yes there is a tiny sign
that says 'No Parking Fire Lane' but my husband did not see it. Why? That type of thing tends to
happen when you have gotten very little sleep for at least 1 week. We had just driven 800 miles or
so, and the movers unloaded the moving van the Saturday before. And oh by the way, we got up at 6 AM to meet the moving truck driver
but he was 6 hours late. How nice.

When the rental agent arrived a few days later to remove the lock box off the door, his attitude
was particularly galling. I was already sick with bronchitis and strep throat (first week of being here)
and I complained about the towing of our vehicle. He caustically sniped, "Can't you read? There's a sign
out there. It's pretty obvious'. Naturally, he was oh so friendly when getting our deposit.
Sure, the stupid "No Parking" would be 'intuitively obvious' to someone who has lived here for a considerable amount of time.
But not to a newcomer! Because in other parts of the country, like Dallas, and New England, towing
is not a major 'boomtown' industry. This tow truck simpleton told my husband, he towed the car because
it seemed 'suspicious' that suddenly, there were cars there. Um... maybe... just maybe... it's because
someone has moved in you moron! I think this guy ended up with a job in towing, because he was too dumb
to get a job at a carnival.

The overzealous traffic-ticketing by police right in the middle of the lane causes unnecessary traffic jams.
Speaking of speed traps, the police love to park right at the entrance to our subdivision, with radar gun in hand,
eagerly attempting to ensnare unsuspecting speeders. We have to go around them in order to get onto the road.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
This metro has almost 2 million residents. VB is the most populated city in the state. It's going to have a strong police presence
mmm ok. I've lived in larger metro areas and did not see such a large police presence. That's why I was curious. Each city is different of course. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffemaker View Post
mmm ok. I've lived in larger metro areas and did not see such a large police presence. That's why I was curious. Each city is different of course. Thanks.
And I bet this one is safer, isn't it?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM

To be honest, no, not really. In my personal experience (so far), the safety is about the same. But it would be interesting to perform a statistical comparison. That may be a good gauge.

However, I do feel it is more restrictive here, in comparison to other places we've lived.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Would you mind sharing with us reasons you are moving? I am just curious.. if you don't mind.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM

Hi citydweller. Sure.

For us, it's more expensive than elsewhere we've lived (groceries, clothing, etc.) We need to think about retirement, and we are very concerned about the possibility of retiring here. We won't be able to make it here.

Climate/allergies are factors. Our allergies are affected much more strongly here.

We feel more restricted/controlled/suppressed here. Perhaps it's because of the discipline imposed by the military culture. Or perhaps it is something else. I don't know.

Lack of choices/variety in shopping: clothing specifically.

Lack of creative pursuits. I am passionate about 3d animation opportunities; that is not readily available here. Yes, that may not be available at some other locations as well. But it is on our list. We just do not feel a 'creative pulse' here. And we find this stifling and demoralizing. Again, that's just how we feel; I'm not pointing fingers at Hampton Roads for this. But we did not feel like this elsewhere. This is simply not a fit.

But I know there are a lot of folks who do like it here and that's really good. We're looking forward to relocating to a place where we can feel the same way.

Thanks

coffeemaker

Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
I know I posted some of this already in a different thread; but I want to further express my
utter disgust with the towing and ticketing system here. As I already stated elsewhere, our car
was towed from in front of our rented townhome, 10 minutes after my husband arrived home from work. This
was the day the car was dropped off. We were about to return the rental car to the airport.
It should have been readily obvious to this tow truck boy that someone was present in the house:
2 vehicles in the driveway, when for months, no vehicles were present. Yes there is a tiny sign
that says 'No Parking Fire Lane' but my husband did not see it. Why? That type of thing tends to
happen when you have gotten very little sleep for at least 1 week. We had just driven 800 miles or
so, and the movers unloaded the moving van the Saturday before. And oh by the way, we got up at 6 AM to meet the moving truck driver
but he was 6 hours late. How nice.

When the rental agent arrived a few days later to remove the lock box off the door, his attitude
was particularly galling. I was already sick with bronchitis and strep throat (first week of being here)
and I complained about the towing of our vehicle. He caustically sniped, "Can't you read? There's a sign
out there. It's pretty obvious'. Naturally, he was oh so friendly when getting our deposit.
Sure, the stupid "No Parking" would be 'intuitively obvious' to someone who has lived here for a considerable amount of time.
But not to a newcomer! Because in other parts of the country, like Dallas, and New England, towing
is not a major 'boomtown' industry. This tow truck simpleton told my husband, he towed the car because
it seemed 'suspicious' that suddenly, there were cars there. Um... maybe... just maybe... it's because
someone has moved in you moron! I think this guy ended up with a job in towing, because he was too dumb
to get a job at a carnival.

The overzealous traffic-ticketing by police right in the middle of the lane causes unnecessary traffic jams.
Speaking of speed traps, the police love to park right at the entrance to our subdivision, with radar gun in hand,
eagerly attempting to ensnare unsuspecting speeders. We have to go around them in order to get onto the road.

LOL so you are going to blame everyone including the tow truck driver and your rental agent for the mistake your husband made..........Try blaming him, he was the one that parked in a no parking/fire lane.....

Trust me Dallas and New England has pretty much the same signs....you act like Va Bch is the only place in the USA that has no parking signs.....

You are mad because your car was towed for a violation of the law, but I bet if someone was blocking your driveway or speeding down your street you would be the first one complaining that the police or tow companies were not doing their job......You cant have it both ways....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area