Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:38 PM

35 posts, read 110,857 times

Advertisements

Who are these guys in orange t-shirts who hang out at the intersection of Little Creek Rd & Granby St? They ask for donations using gumboots/rubber boots. They're even at Northampton & Military Hwy.

Just curious.

thanks
zt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM

328 posts, read 1,540,067 times
Homeless Probably. I wouldn't give them any of my hard earned money. Since when did they appear or start?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM

35 posts, read 110,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Homeless Probably. I wouldn't give them any of my hard earned money. Since when did they appear or start?
No they aren't homeless for sure. They appear off and on. Been there for about a year or so.....

Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 PM

209 posts, read 771,363 times
...they are firemen...

Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobie View Post
...they are firemen...
Yup. And some of them might be asking for donations in a boot. A lot of firefighting teams are all volunteer, so they have to raise money to keep ahead of the game.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Yup. And some of them might be asking for donations in a boot. A lot of firefighting teams are all volunteer, so they have to raise money to keep ahead of the game.
They indeed are firefighters. Our local fire dept. in Windsor Woods has a voluntary EMT group as well. Help em' out and give em' a buck. You can claim it on your taxes as out of pocket if it's really important to you. I've been asked a couple times to volunteer, but I can't due to my travel and committments at home and on call status'.
Beware of people with white paint buckets raising money for the churches. They may wear road guard vests, but not all of them are genuine. While in Boulder, CO, there were people standing in the middle of the road asking for donations for their kids surgeries. While talking to a store clerk, I was told they were pan handlers and he has to kick them out of his store because they open bread bags and p-nut butter jars and make sandwiches, using their hands in the jars to scoop it out.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 28,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
They are firefighters trying to raise money for muscular dystrophy. They have signs posted at each intersection they are stationed at (and it's several), but to be honest, they are not clearly visible.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 PM

328 posts, read 1,540,067 times
My fault. Just guessed since it was in Norfolk and at those particular locations. Made sense in my mind. Well now we know the rest of the story..

Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM

43 posts, read 231,860 times
We have the firefighters that come to the door for donations and they are legit.
Be careful though, because just yesterday I had an orange shirted young teenager come to the door and something seemed "Off". He could not answer questions without being nervous, and when I continued to ask him who his local fire chief was he just walked away.

We also get kids that are dropped off on street corners to swarm neighborhoods. They carry a plastic bin of junk stuff and ask for donations for the "Boys Club". They have no proof of connection to any legit boys club and I was shocked when one kid came back to my door well after dark to ask if he could use my phone because the person who was supposed to pick him up to give him a ride back to his neighborhood never showed! I told him I would dial the number for him and he hesitated. Then a car showed up honked their horn and the kid left my porch without a word and got in the car. What legit boys club would leave young kids in a strange neighborhood after dark?!
Ask questions and if you aren't comfy with donating cash ask for a mailing address where you can send a donation.

I moved here about two years ago and am amazed at how many people pan handle in the middle of traffic or late at night. It was never allowed where I lived for the past 28 years, and non profit organizations had great success because they raised money through a concerted effort (car washes, grocery help day at stores, etc)

Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid_golfer View Post
We have the firefighters that come to the door for donations and they are legit.
Be careful though, because just yesterday I had an orange shirted young teenager come to the door and something seemed "Off". He could not answer questions without being nervous, and when I continued to ask him who his local fire chief was he just walked away.

We also get kids that are dropped off on street corners to swarm neighborhoods. They carry a plastic bin of junk stuff and ask for donations for the "Boys Club". They have no proof of connection to any legit boys club and I was shocked when one kid came back to my door well after dark to ask if he could use my phone because the person who was supposed to pick him up to give him a ride back to his neighborhood never showed! I told him I would dial the number for him and he hesitated. Then a car showed up honked their horn and the kid left my porch without a word and got in the car. What legit boys club would leave young kids in a strange neighborhood after dark?!
Ask questions and if you aren't comfy with donating cash ask for a mailing address where you can send a donation.

I moved here about two years ago and am amazed at how many people pan handle in the middle of traffic or late at night. It was never allowed where I lived for the past 28 years, and non profit organizations had great success because they raised money through a concerted effort (car washes, grocery help day at stores, etc)
It's everywhere! The economy has pushed people to the brink of beggin' for money. It happens on message boards too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area