Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM

209 posts, read 771,430 times

Advertisements

Dogs are the best, but I've lost so many funny friends that it makes me sad to think of owning another. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobie View Post
Dogs are the best, but I've lost so many funny friends that it makes me sad to think of owning another. :/
I felt that way at one time too, but after my Bostons passed after many great years of friendship, my little Jack Russell is my best bud.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 AM

43 posts, read 231,878 times
We use Johns Brothers and have been very happy with their quick response and professionalism. When we were doing some electric work we had to shut the power off and even though there is a backup battery, the company called just to make sure that everything was ok.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,147 times
I was a Police Officer for 10 years in Virginia Beach and I have to agree with the dog idea. I went to many alarm calls and after 6-8 minutes to get there on a normal response most were false. But some were not and they were the ones where someone smased out a window, the alarm went off, they grabbed some things quick and were long gone before I arrived.......but never with a dog in the house! They hear the bark and move to the next....

Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darzz1 View Post
We've had had some problems in our Va. Bch neighborhood recently and w/
hubby away I'm looking into getting a home security system.

I have contacted some companies ADT, Brinks, Alarmforce and have gotten
pricing info. I also had a door to door salesman from Pinnacle come to my home but would never purchase anything with out doing some investigating.
THough.. about 3 of my neighbors went with him.

Does anyone have any advice?? Or security companies you would recommend??

Any help would be appreciated. So sad that you don't even feel safe in our own home anymore.

Thanks
I can whole heartedly recomment Slomins. They are big in the NY NJ area and are now getting into VA. I had their service in NJ for 10 years and now in VA. They provide a free HARDWIRED security system which includes motion sensors, and 3 entry doors. Other things like smoke ( highly recommended) and glass break, C02 for and additional equipment
cost.
The big difference is they are hard wired which means NO batteries to replace in the sensors. They offer extended service warranty after 1 year but I have never needed repairs to this stuff. the service is $25 a month billed quarterly.

Their website is FREE Home Security System, Home Security Systems, Home Security.

Good luck!
PS ask for a second keypad free since Brinks offer it the will comply to be competitive!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
I've heard and read bad things aobut the tactics usedd in the industry. I'm searching for a system now, and am inclined to ask hubby to just buy and install one himself and hook it into the police dept. Here's some of what I read about ADT:

ADT Security Systems

ADT Security
• Sales practices
• Service
• Military clause

ADT is by far the largest home security alarm service in the U.S. and also does a big business in providing service to business and government. ADT works with independent re-sellers and it also has partnerships with Sears and other retailers.

It's important to note that you're buying two things when you get a home alarm system -- the equipment and the "service," which basically consists of monitoring your system and responding in whatever manner you agree to when alarms are received. Note that you must provide a working telephone line.

Like cell phones, security services will offer all kinds of deals, including "free" equipment and, sometimes, "free" installation. Of course, it isn't really free. The cost is simply built into the contract you sign, which usually runs two years or more. Like any contract, the ADT contract means what it says -- and only what it says. Nothing your salesman tells you means anything. Verbal promises are meaningless.

Therefore, read the contract fully before you sign it. Understand what you're getting into -- a multi-year contract that obligates you to pay whether the system works or not, whether your phone line works or not, whether you have a job or not.

Sure, there might be a few cases where you could get out of the contract but it's a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Read it thoroughly. If you don't understand it, don't sign it until you find a disinterested third party, preferably a lawyer or paralegal, who can read it and explain it to you. Otherwise, you'll end up like the complainants whose tales appear in this section.

Don't believe us? Check out the complaint below ...

Patricia of Tracy, CA (10/20/05)
We signed a contract with ADT in 1998 for a term of three years. The account was in my husband's name and his signature is on this contract. When I called ADT to cancel our services in June of this year, I was told that my husband had to cancel because it was his account. My husband called later in the week and was told that the company required a 30-day notice for cancellations. Since we had already sent our payment for the quarterly statement, the rep told my husband that we were going to be pro rated on our refund.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 20,015 times
I Recommend Protection by Design out of Williamsburg. Very Professional and competitive, plus locally owned and operated. They can be reached at 757-258-1258

Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 AM

62 posts, read 233,903 times
Default door to door salesman????

How would you know if this person was legit? Couldn't they be putting in a system that they knew they could break? They program in your code for you! Be sure to check out the company with the police dept and make sure they are licensed and bonded. Most companies that are legit do a complete background check on their employees and drug test regularly.

We use ADT. Many homes that we looked at while house hunting, used Johns Brothers. We would have considered them too, but being a member of USAA insurance, we get a discount on ADT. The saving from the discount and the lower premium on insurance helps to pay the monthly fee. We did have to sign a 2 year contract, but we know we'll be here, so it was ok.

Be sure to include fire alarm in your policy!

PS: I also have a 90 lound Labrador Retriever, but she'd hold the flashlight for the crook!

Last edited by gator girl; 02-04-2009 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: after thought:

Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 20,015 times
the police Department does not regulate Private Security Systems in Virginia. That is run by the Department of Cruiminal Justice Services (DCJS) Private security services. In order for a company to Legally install alarm systems they must meet the outlined criteria and also pay the proper fees. Imposing and/or installing without these registrations can result in jail time. You can look up the company you are interested in here VA DCJS - Private Security Services - Business Directory Search .
Also, according to that same policy, all employees must go thru mandatory training, both initially and every 2 years to maintain their certification. (there is a 90 day training period on the job before this is all required) They are also background checked via state police and FBI. When the installer arrives at your house request to see his DCJS registration. If he can not present it, tell them to leave. this will eliminate many scams.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 AM

85 posts, read 319,775 times
Local Company Called SCAT are GREAT. If you pay for a whole year of service up front its only like $130 and they do the exact same as ADT or any of the other Big Boys around. And the big boys charge you like $25-$30 a month for the same service. Ive had SCAT for 3 years with no complaints at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area