Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times

Advertisements

I have a strange question...have any of you suffered from severe allergies, frequent colds, recurring bronchitis, or pneumonia since moving into the Hampton Roads area? We moved here five years ago and I've never been so sick in all my life. My lungs feel like they're constantly assaulted. In five years I've had 3 sinus infections, bronchitis, and a horrible spout of pneumonia that lasted two months.
Does anyone feel like they've gotten sicker since moving into this area? If so do you know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,121 times
Default Great thread!

ANd how true, and I often wonder why that is myself, as we lived all over the USA, for the most part anyhow, and I am not sure why it is but it is true and it does make one wonder why...some say its cause of the hurricane, and that the trees that were uprooted brought this on. I know we all suffer from serious problems of allergies and asthma as never before and so have many of our neighbors and friends...really makes one wonder what is going on here too...giving you a boost to your point system for starting such an interesting thread, I hope more comment soon!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:58 AM

291 posts, read 1,361,121 times
I am quite surprised no one has commented on this thread, very very much so. This is a very serious problem here in Hampton Roads, when I talk to my neighbors, I get the same concern, everyone in Williamsburg is aware of this, I know people all over the region, and most are really sufferning or know someone in their home who is! SO what is up here?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
If you think it might be related to foreign spring/fall pollinators then I'd recommend you speak with some extension folks to see if there are emerging aggressive plant species that could be triggering allergies.

The only true way to determine what a person is allergic to is to have an allergy test done. And keep in mind that the average allergy lasts about five years, and new allergies develop when a person is exposed to something extensively over a period of time.

If you move it might not be the natural environment, it could be your new home. If it's brand new, it could be a material in the home or it could be that the home is too tight and isn't allowing enough fresh air inside and you're just re-circulating dusty air over and over again, which if you smoke or have pets could create more triggers than just dust mites. If you have alot of carpet then that could be a huge problem too. Some people I know have had success when changing their type of air filters in the HVAC system. If you have an old home you could be dealing with too much air infiltration pulling in dust and mold spores from the wall voids, which during windy periods could trigger stronger reactions because more particulates are going airborne.

I've had various allergies throughout my life. I had frequent sinus infections and allergy issues that I tolerated stoicly in Vermont, but when I moved to Virginia, they reached a tipping point (minor but irritating asthma type issues) and I visited my doctor. Since 2004, I've been taking Advair 250 daily, Rhinocort Aqua and Allegra. I now have only mild allergies and only very rarely (couple times a year usually because of an underlying common cold). Allergies grind on your immune system and fifty years of grinding can really destroy your health, so I consider my allergy medications a sensible long term investment that will have a huge return during my golden years

Sean

Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Yes, I need to get tested for allergies. My doctor recommended I go to an ENT doctor who specializes in allergies. We moved into a home five years ago that was, at the time, only two years old. It is cheaply constructed, so materials used may be questionable. The windows, however, are also poorly constructed and allow drafts in all the time. So circulation of air is not a problem, as we often open up the house. We don't smoke, so that's not a problem. We have dogs but I'm not allergic to them.
I'm wondering if Hampton Roads has a lot of particle air pollution due to the many coal-fired power plants? The entire region seems to be very industrial and I'm wondering just how polluted this area is??? I've been on the EPA website and it indicates many air pollutants and I'm just wondering if I'm a rarity in how sensitive my lungs are to this, or are others experiencing similar lung problems? And if so, what do you do in your health regimine to continue living in this area?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 AM

50 posts, read 213,339 times
Guess we're lucky. Grew up east of Richmond, travelled the world in the military and retired to Hampton Rhoads about 20 years ago. Have 20+ extended family members all over Va, and only one (in w. Richmond) has any real allergy problems.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM

43 posts, read 146,542 times
could it be mold from wet building materials in the house. Black mold will make you very sick, it often cannot be seen in the home it often is behind the walls. It sure sounds like mold to me in how you described the symptoms.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,573 times
I grew up in Hampton Roads living there for 23 years. I moved away 14 years agao and now live in the midwest.I have terrible seaonal allergies and have been sick a lot since living here.
Whenever we go "home" to Va. tovisit, I feel fantastic, can breathe wonderfully, and rarely sneeze. Go figure....

Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Same thing seems to be occurring in Florida..... Talked to a LOT of people who seem to think thier allergies have gotten worse over the last five years, or who have developed them recently.....

You aren't alone there Tidewater.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
We visit Virginia, Williamsburg in particular, every year and I rarely have allergies although in California I am full of allergy problems. I think that it often takes months or years to readjust to a new area - often allergies will eventually return.

I would think there is a generous amount of molds and mildews in VA because of all the rain and humidity. I think having your home checked for mold, perhaps installing a good air filter or de-humidifier or even humidifier (when you are running your heating system) may help. How often do you change your furnace filter?

Pollens could be the culprit some of the time, but if you are experiencing terrible allergies in the winter time, other factors may be causing or adding to your allergies.

You can also develop new allergies to things you were previously not allergic to.

If you are serious in trying to lesson your allergy problems, I would suggest not having pets, carpeting or wearing perfume or using perfumed products (like most soaps). Use a non perfumed detergent and natural cleaning products. Vacuum and dust often. Change your bedding weekly or bi-weekly and your pillowcases even more often, make sure you have your mattress completely enclosed in an allergy free mattress cover and make sure your pillows are completely encased as well. Really look into your air conditioning and heating filters. Old air conditioning units can harbor all kinds of bacteria, molds and germs. Certain building materials can attract and harbor molds as well (drywall).

I suffered from horrible sinus infections for several years - all the while taking Claritin and Flonase....once my doctor added Singulair to my meds, I stopped having sinus infections. It doesn't work for everyone, but it made a world of difference to me.

Allergies make you feel all around crappy that is for sure....hope you figure out what the problems are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area