Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 24,858 times

Advertisements

My hubby is military and coming to Naval station norfolk. I am trying to find a NICE, CLEAN, GOOD area to live in! We have 3 daughters and can't afford to take a chance on safety and cleanliness. He will get orders maybe a week before we arrive so I am trying to figure things out now! We will be coming there in the beginning of November. I have been told areas but not specifics. I don't know areas so that doesnt help me! If you can give me specific apartments to look into that are reasonable or a lead to a realtor in the area that could help us find a rental home vs an apartment! We would like to stay under $1000, but we need a good, safe area so price is somewhat negotiable! We need a 3 br (or 4 if there isn't a den/family room). Thank you for any advice/help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I do not know Norfolk that well, but I can give you some very valuable advice. Do NOT live on the Peninsula - you do not want to commute thru the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel) on a daily basis. You actually want to try to avoid any tunnel commute if at all possible, but if you had to do the tunnel commute - you might want to consider Northern Suffolk or Churchland (Portsmouth) for affordability. That would send you thru the Midtown tunnel which is manageable and once you cross into Portsmouth there is almost no traffic.

Check out some homes/apts in those areas and then ask specific questions about them. This is a hard place to be general about. There are pockets of not so nice neighborhoods everywhere.

I currently rent a SFH in Churchland for $1075 a mo - 3/1.5 ba which is very comfortable for us. So you should be able to find a place in a safe neighborhood.

Maybe someone will chime in about specific Norfolk neighborhoods to check.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
I would first ask if your daughters are school age and what grades they are in so we can give you some advice on what school districts to stay away from...that area plays a big part on many peoples minds when it comes to which city to reside in....next it would be traffic and how far your hubby wants to travel everyday to and from the base

Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 24,858 times
my daughters are 3, 2, and 2 weeks. my hubby will work at naval station norfolk. so less than a 40 minute commute would be nice!

Last edited by stayathomehero; 09-18-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomehero View Post
I have been told areas but not specifics. I don't know areas so that doesnt help me!
With not having to worry about school districts for a few years because of the age of your kids you have a much wider area you can choose from.....I know you stated you have been told areas but not specifics.........and I can understand your frustration and that is why you are on this forum trying to find out those answers ........ but trying to assist you in certain apartments or rentals is difficult without you at least having a general idea of what city, area or neighborhoods you are looking at...... Hampton Roads is a fairly large spread out metro area especially when you are talking about your hubby is willing to do up to a 40 minute drive everyday to work........I think once you decide on a certain city then we can start narrowing down certain sections of that city to try to assist you in your best options

Old 09-19-2008, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 18,980 times
Go to [URL="http://www.realtor.com"]www.realtor.com[/URL] and click on the rental link. If I can assist let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by Iris F.; 09-19-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 PM

14 posts, read 49,904 times
Oldtowne Portsmouth is always an option. Right across the water from Norfolk with many places to walk to down here.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:52 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Many nice places in Virginia Beach, near the parks so you can take your children there. I go to NNS quite a bit and I wouldn't live in Norfolk just to be near the base. My commute in the morning is 20 minutes most of the time, because the HOV lane is open going to the base.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 20,339 times
Hey stayathomehero, I actually just did almost the exact same post, except I don't have children. I am so lost, it is really hard, huh? Well, if I get any information, i will definitely give it to you and help you, because I know I really need help too, and want the same things as you. When are you expecting to go?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 AM

62 posts, read 233,806 times
Hi,

I live in the Larchmont/Edgewater section of Norfolk. It has the best public elem. school within walking distance. The neighborhood is very family friendly and active. We are on the northern boundary of Old Dominion University and bordered by the Elizabeth River. The houses in this neighborhood are quite varied in price from the $100k's (small homes on Hampton Blvd) through the Millions (on the river). There are new homes and historic homes, all in a very kid friendly environment.

There is also a public library in the neighborhood. While the neighborhood is generally very safe, I would advise going at least 3 blocks away from the University to avoid the student rental homes...they can have some noise and vandalism issues. We live north of Bolling Ave and haven't had any problems.

From this neighborhood your husband would have about a 5-15 minute commute to the back gate of Norfolk Naval Air Station, depending on traffic and time of day. If you look on the map of Norfolk, you will find Old Dominion University on Hampton Blvd (NW Norfolk). Across Hampton Blvd, you will see Larchmont Elementary School. Keep going north on Hampton Blvd and you will get to the back gate of the base. Or, at the edge of the base, turn right and Terminal Blvd will lead you around to the front gates.

We are also about 3 miles north of the hospital complex in Norfolk and about 2 miles north of Ghent. There is ample shopping, but I like to go to Greenbriar or VB for a big shopping day. We have a great mall in Norfolk. It is called MacArthur mall and has lots of nice stores and restaurants. It also has a huge theater with about 15 screens.

Best wishes on your move and welcome to the area!

ps. There are homes for sale in the neighborhood that have been on the market for quite a while. Some people that I know are willing to rent to the military for long leases (avg 3 years) while the market is bad. Consider working with a realtor for helping to find one of these situations (Nancy Chandler Assoc and William E Wood are two great Realty Companies). You will find it better than apt living.

Last edited by gator girl; 10-14-2008 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: after thought:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area