Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 44,370 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if I were to try and mapquest these areas (Larchmont, Fairhaven etc), what streets are in the vicinity? I am still in Dallas and trying to direct my fiance to apartments in Norfolk so he can find us something and I have no idea about these neighborhoods. Also any recommendations for specific properties? We'd like to be in Norfolk near the base but in a nicer area if that's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 01:33 PM

33 posts, read 120,530 times
Stay away from Norfolk! I'm surprised that being from Hampton you don't already realize that's the one city in this area that no one wants to live in. It's still mostly a dive town. Much of the housing there is overpriced, over-rated, and outdated.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 44,370 times
I'm actually from Dallas and totally unfamiliar with all of Hampton Roads! And we all know that apartment websites can make even the dumpiest places look nicer, no matter where they are. I'm finally going to visit Norfolk next week so hopefully I can venture into Virginia Beach or some of the better neighborhoods in Norfolk (Ghent, I think) and see for myself.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 AM

285 posts, read 1,037,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb323 View Post
Stay away from Norfolk! I'm surprised that being from Hampton you don't already realize that's the one city in this area that no one wants to live in. It's still mostly a dive town. Much of the housing there is overpriced, over-rated, and outdated.
Wow! Amazing how opinions differ. If I were to move back to Tidewater I would ONLY live in Norfolk. It's the only city in the Tidewater area that has any kind of eclectic, progressive funkiness. If it weren't for Ghent, Colonial Place and the ODU community, I would have fled at 18 instead of 22.

These "outdated" homes in Norfolk were built when craftmanship and uniqueness of design were still valued. There are so many jewels and treasures in Larchmont and Ghent and other older Norfolk neighborhoods. I know some love those treeless, new subdivisions in Suffolk, but I'm a girl who loves some history...

So, streets to check... In Larchmont, you might want to look up Buckingham Ave, Bolling Ave and Larchmont Crescent, just to get started. The side east of Hampton Blvd is Larchmont proper, and the side on the west is technically called Edgewater, but both are lovely. I grew up on the Edgewater side. Because of the proximity to ODU, there are a lot of faculty families here.

For Colonial Place, check the streets with State names like Maryland Ave, New York Ave, Pennsylvania Ave, etc.

For Ghent, try Westover Ave, Graydon Ave, Redgate Ave, Brandon Ave and Gates Ave. If you want to see some stellar old showplaces, try the area on the Hague. (Mowbray Arch)

Algonquin Park can be found along North Shore Rd and Algonquin Rd.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 PM

35 posts, read 110,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb323 View Post
Kudos to you! That's what Norfolk & Va Beach are. Gritty, uncouth, vulgar, crime & trash infested cesspools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area