Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 PM

8 posts, read 20,339 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site, but I desperately need some input! I'm newly married into the military, 19 years old, and will be moving to Norfolk in March to be with my husband once he gets back from deployment. He's stationed at naval station norfolk, so we're looking for something relatively close to that, that is safe, and will leave a little left out of our bah (it's $1242, so we're hoping to find something around $1000). I actually have been looking, and found a 4 bedroom house that looks really nice, it's $1000 a month, and it's in the little creek area I believe at carlton and templar. Does anyone know anything about this area? I'm looking out for the fact that we'll be starting a family within the next year, and he will get deployed again, so it will be me, by myself...and I want to feel safe.
If someone could please give me some advice, I'm having a hard time...and I have to make a decision based on what I find online, or through the housing office on the base. I live in Michigan, so I won't be able to go visit Virginia before I make the decision, and I'm going to be moving in about a week before my husband gets home...so it's all up to me. Any advisement that you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, I need all the help I can get! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoryia143 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site, but I desperately need some input! I'm newly married into the military, 19 years old, and will be moving to Norfolk in March to be with my husband once he gets back from deployment. He's stationed at naval station norfolk, so we're looking for something relatively close to that, that is safe, and will leave a little left out of our bah (it's $1242, so we're hoping to find something around $1000). I actually have been looking, and found a 4 bedroom house that looks really nice, it's $1000 a month, and it's in the little creek area I believe at carlton and templar. Does anyone know anything about this area? I'm looking out for the fact that we'll be starting a family within the next year, and he will get deployed again, so it will be me, by myself...and I want to feel safe.
If someone could please give me some advice, I'm having a hard time...and I have to make a decision based on what I find online, or through the housing office on the base. I live in Michigan, so I won't be able to go visit Virginia before I make the decision, and I'm going to be moving in about a week before my husband gets home...so it's all up to me. Any advisement that you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, I need all the help I can get! Thanks!
This is very much the typical relocation story for the Norfolk area. Many people move there because of military relocation as there is a big military base there and they are in the same situation you are in. I was actually born there because my Dad was in the military and got transfered there. You are going to find that most of the people there are there because of the military and there will be license plates from all over the US. The bases are huge! There is a lot of nice houses in Norfolk, but VA Beach is nicer.

Hope this helps! And if you need any more information, just ask and I will be more than happy to help! I don't actually live there anymore, but I have been back there to visit many times and know a lot about how everything works there.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 AM

I know it's the typical story, and that's why I feel stupid and feel like I'm struggling, because how many times can someone answer the same question, lol?

It's hard moving in the military, because no one wants you there. It is interesting to me that people call us "transplants", and other "nicknames" that might be considered borderline rude, when our husbands and wives are defending the country they so freely gripe about. Now I know the point of this site is to give people a true glimpse at what a city is like, but to me, the image is very distorted, in the sense that mostly everyone talks about how bad it is there, is there truly absolutely nothing good? I think people take things like that for granted, and it's hard when you're moving somewhere, to get perspective, when people leave posts like they do on here.

And there was a post I read last night where someone was saying that there was a lack of "community feeling" in Norfolk because of the military. We want to be part of a community too, but it's hard for people to accept us, because we do have to move pretty often, or our situations are too complicated to understand. Being 19 and moving 15 hours away from home, I would love to be part of a community where I could go to people and do things with them, but people just aren't accepting of the military for some odd reason. I know we're an odd bunch :P but we're just regular people with demanding jobs.

It just saddens me to think that if I changed the name of my thread, I might get more replies. And I am in a situation where I do really need help, and I am hoping some honest and reliable people pull through. Thanks for your reply DFW8.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 AM

239 posts, read 633,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoryia143 View Post
I know it's the typical story, and that's why I feel stupid and feel like I'm struggling, because how many times can someone answer the same question, lol?

It's hard moving in the military, because no one wants you there. It is interesting to me that people call us "transplants", and other "nicknames" that might be considered borderline rude, when our husbands and wives are defending the country they so freely gripe about. Now I know the point of this site is to give people a true glimpse at what a city is like, but to me, the image is very distorted, in the sense that mostly everyone talks about how bad it is there, is there truly absolutely nothing good? I think people take things like that for granted, and it's hard when you're moving somewhere, to get perspective, when people leave posts like they do on here.

And there was a post I read last night where someone was saying that there was a lack of "community feeling" in Norfolk because of the military. We want to be part of a community too, but it's hard for people to accept us, because we do have to move pretty often, or our situations are too complicated to understand. Being 19 and moving 15 hours away from home, I would love to be part of a community where I could go to people and do things with them, but people just aren't accepting of the military for some odd reason. I know we're an odd bunch :P but we're just regular people with demanding jobs.

It just saddens me to think that if I changed the name of my thread, I might get more replies. And I am in a situation where I do really need help, and I am hoping some honest and reliable people pull through. Thanks for your reply DFW8.
Hi astoryia143, I don't think you will have a problem being accepted here cause you are in the military. In fact, I think you will be more accepted here cause you are in the military. This area (I think) is the largest military base are in the world. It seems that almost everyone is in, has relatives in, or works for contractors for the military.

The "lack of community feeling" cause of the military relates more to the fact that since people are usually only here for 3 years, they are probably less likely to form real bonds to the community. There are many military that are probably very involved in the community, but for a lot if you are only here 3 years, they are probably less likely to really have any ties versus someone that wants to plant roots in an area. From my experience in my neighborhood, I have had half my neighbors move in the past 4 years and no one really says hi or knows each other. I am shocked if I see my neighbors wave when passing them in the street.

I could go on and on about the negatives of this area, but everyone is different and your post is about questions about moving here not whether you should move here or not. I know Chesapeake pretty well if you ever consider that and can tell you the safe areas. IMO Chesapeake is a much safer and family friendly city than Norfolk. I don't know that area of Norfolk that you mentioned, but a 4 bedroom for $1000 a month I can't believe that would be in a safe neighborhood. I would be real careful what area you choose though cause there are some rough ones in Norfolk. Hopefully someone from that area can help you out.

Let me know if you have questions on Chesapeake though. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM

161 posts, read 563,325 times
sorry, but i am not familiar with that area, but that price range seems very very cheap. when we were transferred here, i did a lot of online searching. we decided that chesapeake was the best fit for our family. dh's commute to nob takes 35 - 45 minutes. if you have more specific questions, please ask!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 PM

125 posts, read 496,668 times
I actually disagree with the "not wanted" part, at least from a landlord's point of view. By reputation, military personnel have a better chance at not totally trashing a house (because you can easily go up their chain of command if they do ). I don't think you'll have as many issues as you anticipate there. Some homeowners specify that they will only rent to military families.

Have you tried looking for housing on the Automated Housing Referral Network? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the options that military personnel in this area have.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. I didn't want it to seem like I was bashing everyone or throwing a pity party for myself, it is just so hard to get through to people sometimes, and some of the posts on here can be really discouraging...granted I know not to take those things to heart, but it's a stressful situation. Yeah, I am thinking of looking in the chesapeake area, everyone seems to agree that is the safest place, it's just so far from the base... and we'd really like to stay in the $1000 range, and I would like to get three bedrooms, but I could settle for two. The housing market is just outrageous there, where I live, you could rent a HUGE single family home for around $700. I know it's obviously not comparable, but it's so hard, being so young, and trying to make it all work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
From my experience in my neighborhood, I have had half my neighbors move in the past 4 years and no one really says hi or knows each other. I am shocked if I see my neighbors wave when passing them in the street.
See, that's what I'm talking about, that saddens me, like I can't wait to have new neighbors and hopefully build a friendship with them. I'd like to know I could have someone to go to if anything were to happen, especially if my husband is deployed, and we have children. That's why I get so irritated, and it's not just "civilians", there are some military people that are down right rude and think they're better...I just want to find home.

I wish I had someone to just find me places, lol. If anyone comes across anything that seems safe and reasonable in driving time and price range, please let me know, I'll need all the help I can get. I'll even bring you cookies when I get there

Thanks again guys.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 AM

82 posts, read 300,447 times
templar and carleton is propably ok, have sold homes in that area, punch the address into google maps and get a birdseye view of the property

Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks sheldonteam! I appreciate it!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 38,287 times
I'm in Williamsburg and just recently part of the Navy, too. I moved out here just before that happened. One of my friends came down here because of her husband, rented in Norfolk for a few months and moved up to Hampton to give them a central location (she works up here). I don't have much advice to give, but I do want to say welcome! There's a huge military community in this area and they seem to be welcoming so far! (Make sure to take advantage of the free day you get at Busch Gardens).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area