U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 37,212 times

Advertisements

what are your thoughts/opinions about this area in chesapeake? is it up-and-coming or slowly dying? we are relocating and have children and this area seems affordable to us. please, all opinions (even unfavorable) are welcome. thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 AM

98 posts, read 768,192 times
I have been here for one month (moved from st. louis) and I too think this area is pretty nice but am wondering if it's dying or staying strong. I love that it is close to everything and yet at night I can't hear a thing (traffic/cops/trucks). I hope someone can answer your question!

We live in a condo off of Volvo- it's a temporary situation right now but we'll be asking to see homes in this area once we start seriously looking.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:22 AM

201 posts, read 881,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrabee View Post
what are your thoughts/opinions about this area in chesapeake? is it up-and-coming or slowly dying? we are relocating and have children and this area seems affordable to us. please, all opinions (even unfavorable) are welcome. thanks.

Im not a fan of Chesapeake at all, especially the whole eastern part, especially the northeastern part.

I hear its better west of the Gilmerton bridge, but east of it, its largely dirty, poorly laid out, and run down. I drive there every day, and going down S. Military, you can tell exactly when you are in Chesapeake, because everything immediatley starts looking run down and poorly kept.

I think Greenbrier Mall is probably the best in the area though.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 PM

836 posts, read 4,722,610 times
Default greenbrier

Hi,
the Greenbrier area seems nice. I have friends who live there and like the centralized location of it. I often see people jogging and walking up and down Greenbrier. There is a YMCA within walking distance to a few of the neighborhoods, and the shopping mecca of Chesapeake is on Greenbrier as well. Oak Grove Park is nearby and it's nice for kids,adults, and dogs. It's a wooded park with a two mile trail around the lake. It has pavillions, fishing piers, and a kids' play area with equipment. Chesapeake City Park is right off from Greenbrier Rd. and it has a huge kids' play area. The Chesapeake Arboretum is very close (in between Battlefield Blvd. and Greenbrier) and is a great place to hike in the woods. Greenbrier is a great, centralized area within easy reach to downtown Norfolk, Virginia Beach, shopping, and various parks.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM

13 posts, read 37,212 times
thanks for the wonderful info! i am moving from a rather small, rural area in tennessee and i THINK i will be pleased with this area, but the more specifics i can gather, the better. keep the help coming, please!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 AM

98 posts, read 768,192 times
I met with my realtor yesterday and she said the Greenbrier area is good and definitely NOT dying! It is a very good location for getting to things. But, it's not rural!!!!
Thanks for the tips on the area summers19

Old 02-21-2007, 01:33 PM

201 posts, read 881,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stltova View Post
I met with my realtor yesterday and she said the Greenbrier area is good and definitely NOT dying! It is a very good location for getting to things. But, it's not rural!!!!
Thanks for the tips on the area summers19

Never take a realtors advice on anything. They are a salesman.

Think of it this way, if you were trying to sell a car, would you tell the potential customer about its habit of spontaneously igniting?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:35 PM

41 posts, read 158,397 times
Greenbrier seems to be a nice area from what I see. I agreee with Summer's helpful post, esp the Chesapeake Arboretum. Also in the central part of Greenbier is the addition of a Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughters office and a Sentara Health Women's Center. They offer monthly lectures that can be interesting.

Whether it is up and coming or dying, I do not know for sure. I have read that they are building a new "center" behind where the Food Lion shopping center is, off Greenbier Pky and Volvo. They are going to put some hotels in there and probably some stores too. Doesn't appear to be dying to me.

Living in that area would be great to be local to the shopping, all that Summer mentioned and in general to get around the area. Many back roads available to get to the beach, esp if you want to avoid the crowds and go to the southern Va Beach beaches.

A good road map to buy is the ADC series, South Hampton Roads. Supplementing a larger map, it is very helpful when trying to learn your way around the area. They are expensive, $10-15 dollars, well worth every penny, and available in any 7-11 or convenience store.

If you have small kids, Penguins on parade at Virginia Aquarium in (Va Beach ) is a great thing to do. The penguins are here until labor day on loan from another zoo. http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119467&ran=96289&tref=de (broken link). They also have an Imax screen and many activities for kids. It's good even if you don't have small kids! Ocean Breeze is located right next door, it's a good local water ride place for families. At four pm they cut the price, I think they close at 8. Even full price it's fun for families, not too large but fun for the kids.

Thursday's Va Pilot advertised all that is going on over the weekend, the daily issues list highlights in the daily break section, third page. Friday has the Clipper 'magazine' which is about Chesapeake and Sunday too.

Good luck both tamrabee and stltova. If I can help either of you, don't hesitate to ask, maybe I know where to get the answer.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 133,191 times
I live in Hickory section and love it! Schools are the best in Chesapeake area, from K-12 each school is great. We are on edge on rural and suburbs so life style is great for kids and wife. Send me Pm and I will answer any question I can. I have house on market becasue I am relocating for new job, hate to leave but now that I am retired I need to move for my new job.
Rob

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,689 times
tamrabee, I lived in the Greenbrier area for 20 yrs. To think I remember when the mall was first built. Wow! The area has grown a lot over the past 30 yrs! I have fond memories of growing up there and yearn to come back to the area (Washington D.C. has burnt me out). I think the Tidewater area is a great place to raise a family depending on which area you choose. There is a lot of good information in regards to the area especially VA Beach in this forum.

Keep in mind I haven't been there in 5 yrs. Keep researching around. Good luck in your decision.

E

Last edited by lowend5; 03-08-2007 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area