U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 33,025 times

Advertisements

I’m from Long Island and I am considering a move to Virginia. I am taking a trip to look at Norfolk, Suffolk, VA Beach, and some other nearby cities. I have heard some great things about Suffolk, but also heard that it is "in the middle of nowhere." Is this true? I do not need to be in a very busy, fast paced environment, but would like things to do. Some shopping, restaurants, and nightlife would be nice...

Also, is anyone familiar with the Harbour Breeze Lifestyle apartments? Is this in a safe area? What is the average age of the residents? I am in my early 20s. The photos on the website look great, but are they accurate?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 AM

35 posts, read 127,856 times
Yes for most part Suffolk is way out middle of nowhere. The area they are in is a little closer to Norfolk but I would look at Greenbrier area or Va Beach for more life style choices. Where will you be working (traffic can be rough for some commute so that is factor. I have been in area 10 yrs and about to leave for new job. There are some really nice Apts on Battle Feild right off highway for easy commute.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 AM

374 posts, read 1,495,409 times
i th ink suffolk is near Smithfield which is ian up and coming suburb. check out Smithfield.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM

20 posts, read 56,040 times
I would not consider moving to Smithfield ...very rural...population 6500-7000 If you are from the NYC area, you will be bored to death..Nearly everyone who lives in Smithfield has to travel at least 15 miles to Newport News for shopping, restaurants, etc.
Virginia Beach is a large, thriving city with plenty of activities and of course, the ocean.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM

689 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Yes, basically if you like activity and nightlife, Suffolk will probably be too rural for you, even Smithfield. If you're in your early 20s, I strongly recommend the Ghent area of Norfolk, it's the hippest place in that area, with nightlife, quirky pubs and restaurants, and brownstone apartments. It's lot of fun, and centrally located. If you're from Long Island, the traffic and cost should be comparable, if not less. The only thing I'd say is that you should determine where you're working first, as the tunnels in the Hampton Roads area can be a major pain.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:15 PM

177 posts, read 607,439 times
I live in Northern Suffolk and we are pretty much part of the Western Branch area of Chesapeake and the Churchland area of Portsmouth. I can be in downtown Norfolk in 15 mins when it isn't rush hour. Most new development is in my area.

However, Suffolk is HUGE. Driving west on route 58 it takes us about an hour just to get out of Suffolk...so you could end up in the middle of nowhere (but the way they are building around here, it won't be that way for much longer)

Old 03-04-2007, 12:23 AM

359 posts, read 1,732,011 times
Smithfield is fantastic and booming and housing prices are still reasonable. My hubby's aunt and uncle just built over there and love it. They are 15-20 minutes (non rush hour) from nice, upscale restaurants and shopping in Hampton. I would at least visit the area.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 22,081 times
It really depends on what your used to and what you looking for. I live in NY but not the city and i lived just outside of LA also. I love this area. It's close enough to things to get there quickly if you want but far enought to not be in the middle of EVERYTHING. You don't hit rush hour going down the road but can get just about everywhere. I love it.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM

22 posts, read 144,678 times
Suffolk, is great. i have been here for over 3 years and it is growing dramatically. something new going up everyday practically. let us know your status since you posted last.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM

28 posts, read 95,369 times
Having been to NYC and Long Island many many times I can tell you to please believe me, Suffolk will bore you. There are new developments in Northern Suffolk, but people telling you its hustle & bustle mean well, but they really haven't seen NYC more than likely. Virginia Beach near town center is going to be the area that probably comes the closest to Long Island, there is plenty to do, the beach isn't far, traffic is moderate, very diverse area, decent clubs/bars around etc.. People that say traffic is sooo horrible probably relocated here from some rural area due to the military and never left. They don't get the concept if being stuck in traffic in their resendential neighborhood lol. Having been everywhere and having an open mind I love the area. We have a little bit of everything here. Hope this helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area