Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 AM

127 posts, read 325,439 times

Advertisements

Wow everything in this thread is so true, Ive lived in VB since I was 10, now 24 and I still hate driving here even though im used to it, so I thought I'd chime in on a few things.

1.) I cant understand why when Im in the HOV lane going 75-80 someone always has to swerve right in front of me going 55-60, whenever this happens I sarcastically say to myself "Aww you were so nice to go out of your way to do that I just have to return the favor" then do it back to them lol, I know I know not really solving anything but it makes me feel better for the moment.

2.) Nothing really to do with drivers here but VB and their freakin Revenue Enforcement Cameras drive me crazy because Im sure you guys have noticed that the yellow to red cycle on said lights is much shorter, which is entrapment at its best, I frequently have to lock my brakes to make these stupid lights.

3.) Drivers who just sit when the light turns green and when I honk the horn they give me the Oh Well gesture, how considerate

4.) Does anyone else have this problem, your cruising along faster than traffic and you pass this car going much slower than you and all the sudden they are right their beside you just riding in your blind spot, Im guessing some peoples ego literally wont allow them to be passed as its a sign of defeat or something? still cant figure this out

5.) To people complaining about NOVA driving, I go up to DC and baltimore once or twice a month and I love driving there compared to here, I usually just get in the far left lane on I-95 and follow those drivers whether it be 85 or 100 and I have yet to be cut off by a slower driver up there, everyone there does drive fast but they have more of a sense of what theyre doing here the people that drive fast just get a random thought of "Hmm let me try crossing every lane without looking then braking and see the outcome" maybe HR is just full of traffic engineers doing daily experiments, must be lol

6.) People who drive big trucks and SUV's have the I am king mentality and I cant stand it, I love when one is tailgating me on a really winding off ramp and I can outhandle them by taking the ramp at about 60 while theyre trying to break 30 and I can see them in the mirror sliding around and getting pissed like NO HE GOT AWAY THIS IS MY ROAD

hmm sorry the rant just had to get this out, it helps when I sarcastically talk to myself sometimes haha like when a driver in a big truck rides my ass or cuts me off I always say out loud since they think they own the road "Oh its no problem im just so happy you let me use this road today you really helped me out" haha so thats how I deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,009,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbryan725 View Post
Wow everything in this thread is so true, Ive lived in VB since I was 10, now 24 and I still hate driving here even though im used to it, so I thought I'd chime in on a few things.

1.) I cant understand why when Im in the HOV lane going 75-80 someone always has to swerve right in front of me going 55-60, whenever this happens I sarcastically say to myself "Aww you were so nice to go out of your way to do that I just have to return the favor" then do it back to them lol, I know I know not really solving anything but it makes me feel better for the moment.

2.) Nothing really to do with drivers here but VB and their freakin Revenue Enforcement Cameras drive me crazy because Im sure you guys have noticed that the yellow to red cycle on said lights is much shorter, which is entrapment at its best, I frequently have to lock my brakes to make these stupid lights.

3.) Drivers who just sit when the light turns green and when I honk the horn they give me the Oh Well gesture, how considerate

4.) Does anyone else have this problem, your cruising along faster than traffic and you pass this car going much slower than you and all the sudden they are right their beside you just riding in your blind spot, Im guessing some peoples ego literally wont allow them to be passed as its a sign of defeat or something? still cant figure this out

5.) To people complaining about NOVA driving, I go up to DC and baltimore once or twice a month and I love driving there compared to here, I usually just get in the far left lane on I-95 and follow those drivers whether it be 85 or 100 and I have yet to be cut off by a slower driver up there, everyone there does drive fast but they have more of a sense of what theyre doing here the people that drive fast just get a random thought of "Hmm let me try crossing every lane without looking then braking and see the outcome" maybe HR is just full of traffic engineers doing daily experiments, must be lol

6.) People who drive big trucks and SUV's have the I am king mentality and I cant stand it, I love when one is tailgating me on a really winding off ramp and I can outhandle them by taking the ramp at about 60 while theyre trying to break 30 and I can see them in the mirror sliding around and getting pissed like NO HE GOT AWAY THIS IS MY ROAD

hmm sorry the rant just had to get this out, it helps when I sarcastically talk to myself sometimes haha like when a driver in a big truck rides my ass or cuts me off I always say out loud since they think they own the road "Oh its no problem im just so happy you let me use this road today you really helped me out" haha so thats how I deal!
You fit the perfect example of a bad driver and why people complain about this area

Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,337,310 times
I wouldn't say he is a bad driver, he drives like a northerner. Trust me, go to Philly or New York and drive and people go 85-90 on the expressway and in the city they will drive 50-60 but they are so used to it and good at it they almost never get in accidents, they don't get tickets because the police drive the same way.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM

I actually have grown up in VB since I was 10 years old and learned to drive here, but I learned to drive from my mom who is a northerner and a very fast driver and my dad who even though he has lived in Virginia all his life is a very impatient uptight driver and uptight person in general, I guess I picked up bad habits from the 2 of them, its funny because I get so impatient behind the wheel but only behind the wheel, I have all the patience in the world when it comes to dining out and everything else..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,009,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I wouldn't say he is a bad driver, he drives like a northerner. Trust me, go to Philly or New York and drive and people go 85-90 on the expressway and in the city they will drive 50-60 but they are so used to it and good at it they almost never get in accidents, they don't get tickets because the police drive the same way.

But this is not Philly or New York this is Hampton Roads

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,337,310 times
Oh I didn't know that, damn I thought I was back in Philly. ha j/k.

You can feel like that when driving in certain parts of hampton roads.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,978,708 times
Think like this next time some idiot does something stupid when you are driving down the road.
No matter what the idiotic action might be, chances are that you yourself have done the same idiotic thing at one time or another. By realizing that the idiots are just like you, now perhaps you are laughing, or maybe just smiling instead of getting all bent out of shape...on the verge of losing control and doing someting even stupider than the idiot is doing. This kind of thinking could save you thousands of dollars, prevent a painful injury, and even save your life.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 AM

69 posts, read 231,612 times
my two major things are:

people that talk on their cellphones and drive. it's so widespread that it's almost cliche to bring it up. but 9 times out of 10, if someone does some brainless act like turn out in front of you or swerve into your lane, ride past take a look and they will be on their phone, obliviously chatting away. i guess i'm the minority since i'd rather listen to music then hear someone yap in my ear? lol.

people who go slow in the left lane (probably the biggest cause of road rage anywhere). seriously, people have places to be. get out of the way. not like i drive like a speed demon everywhere, but when someone's going faster than me i can respect that and move aside.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM

On cell phones im in the minority too, I do prefer my music when driving because I cant devote much attention to the phone call anyway, my best way to make calls is once im home comfortable on the couch lol! plus Im not a big phone person at all (picked that up from my mom surprisingly) when my mom and I talk on the phone its usually a 40 sec. conversation to just make arrangements to go visit or what not lol

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

69 posts, read 231,612 times
me too, i'd rather text. and even then i'll just do that at stoplights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area