Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
I don't even know what you all are talking about. Im from LA and the traffic here is tame in comparison.
I've been in LA traffic and would prefer to drive there than here. People are so selfish behind the wheel in this area it's pathetic. I cannot tell you how many times I have been behind someone who is driving slow and the moment I go to pass they speed up. And don't get me started on the drivers who pull out in front of you! Sometimes I just want to not hit the brakes and ram into them, just to give them what they want, because apparently that is what they want, or they would pull out into traffic properly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
I haven't particularly noticed people driving slow then speeding up once you pass but.. I have noticed people will pull out in front of you and poke. And people will also speed up and pull in front of you and turn. I'm thinking why couldn't they just slow down, pull behind me and turn? That really gets to me.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,664 times
I've been driving here off and on since 1975 and I still don't understand the need people here have to stop at yield signs, at the end of on-ramps or entering the freeway at 35 mph, and why so many drivers here do not understand the concept of "lane discipline". I have no business setting the speed in the fast lane, why do so many people feel it's their duty to do so? Also, I rode to work today from the beach to downtown Norfolk with all three lanes packed and one (yes, one) car in the HOV lane, the whole way. Maybe if we opened up all the lanes traffic would move more smoothly, we'd use less fuel and pollute less and get there sooner. JMO.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
I've been in LA traffic and would prefer to drive there than here. People are so selfish behind the wheel in this area it's pathetic. I cannot tell you how many times I have been behind someone who is driving slow and the moment I go to pass they speed up. And don't get me started on the drivers who pull out in front of you! Sometimes I just want to not hit the brakes and ram into them, just to give them what they want, because apparently that is what they want, or they would pull out into traffic properly!
I think i have the answer for the people driving stupid. I think is because is not required for the person to take driving classes here. Also when a person is getting their driver's license is so easy to get it here. It is just to make a turn and then park and Boom and you the license.

What also gets me so freaking vexed is that when I am back off from my parking spot people cannot wait until I get out. They just get back of me. It is freaking ludacris. I'm tired of these things.

Also what gets me vexed is that people that are entering the highway they just keep switching lanes to the left. I mean they could just stay in the right lane because they are not speeding up they are running at the same speed limit as the other cars in the right. But no they just go to the left lane and drive slow. Also, when people go to the HOV lane they just drive so slow!!!!!!!!!! I mean get out of there if you are going to drive slow. People might as well go to the right lane not all the way in the left to drive slow. If people are going to drive slow in the HOV lane then just don't go there period. When I am there if people drive so slow I take them out of that lane.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,368 times
Default The worst offense

Here it is. I never hear anybody complain about this, but it is in my book the worst. When you pull up to a stop sign with your blinker on to turn either right or left, and along comes that car who is just far out enough that you cannot pull out yet until it passes, and they gradually slow down and then pull into your road, all the while with no turn signal, so basically they wave wasted 10 seconds of your life because they were to lazy or ignorant to indicate they were going to turn so you could pull out rather than waiting around to see what the heck they were going to do. Then as they pull in front of you they may look you in the eye with that blank careless stare. I always give them a look of hand gesture. But what else can you do? How can anything else on the road be more infuriating than this?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Me too, I just hate it when someones wastes 10 seconds of my life. It really infuriates me that my wait at the next light is 10 seconds shorter than the people who were speeding down the road in front of me. Just think how much better my life would be if I had those wasted 10 seconds to wait for the light to turn green. The speeders have all the fun. They are the fortunate ones who get to experience the longest waits at the next light. It's just not fair! I should be waiting too, but doggonit, I hit that light just when it turns green and I have to keep on moving.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
Haha I halfway got ran off the road heading west towards downtown on 264 yesterday.. People down here drive like we're in new york...

Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
By the way guys, I think I figured out why people slam their breaks upon entry into the HRBT. There's this wall of ghost kittens that only certain people are capable of seeing. In fact, these ghost kitten prey on people who are most vulnerable to their adorable cuteness and only appear to those they want to scare. So people are like, "OMIGOD! KITTENS!", slam their breaks, and the kittens disappear and have a giggle amongst themselves. Meanwhile, the rest of us are like, "what the...." at the person.

Mystery Solved.

Wall of Kittens cause backups at the HRBT.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsruhe1992 View Post
Here it is. I never hear anybody complain about this, but it is in my book the worst. When you pull up to a stop sign with your blinker on to turn either right or left, and along comes that car who is just far out enough that you cannot pull out yet until it passes, and they gradually slow down and then pull into your road, all the while with no turn signal, so basically they wave wasted 10 seconds of your life because they were to lazy or ignorant to indicate they were going to turn so you could pull out rather than waiting around to see what the heck they were going to do. Then as they pull in front of you they may look you in the eye with that blank careless stare. I always give them a look of hand gesture. But what else can you do? How can anything else on the road be more infuriating than this?

WOw they do that all times here. I hear you! I get frustrated every day because of this..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Haha I halfway got ran off the road heading west towards downtown on 264 yesterday.. People down here drive like we're in new york...
No please do not compare this here to NY. There's a difference. In NY they drive better. Here they drive aggresive but do not know how to drive for anything. Ever since I move down here, I have almost gotten into car crashes, which it never happened to me in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area