U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 AM

34 posts, read 102,602 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the area in the next few months. We have preschool aged children and would like to find a good home to rent in a decent area. I have searched the threads on here, but would like any thoughts or information on a few areas....

Kempsville
Thoroughgood
Thalia (Acres/Gardens)
Kings Grant
Wolfsane (great neck, I think)

TIA
bollteam
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 PM

110 posts, read 339,945 times
Default Some good options

My favorite is the back of King's Grant (Kingston district). Never met anybody that didn't like living back here. Very family friendly and great for kids, a real neighborhood.

Thoroughgood has some nice homes much most are older like King's Grant. It isn't as tucked away and off the beaten path.

Not crazy about Wolfsnare area. Some of the kids over there have to ride the school bus over to King's Grant down the boulevard. Not sure if it includes the Wolfsnare kids though. Just don't like the area so much. Great Neck has some nice neighborhoods though.

What is your number 1 concern?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Preschools

King's Grant is close by several preschools. Sunnybrook on Little Neck (very popular), King's Grant housed at a church on Little Neck, and another one at the church by the 7/11 at the front of the neighborhood. You might find the convenience to be wonderful. By the way, I mentioned some of Great Neck going to school in King's Grant. I mean King's Grant Elemetary, not Kingston.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks for responding! My DH has actually been out there to house hunt. I think he's going again this first weekend in December. The house we would like to rent is in the Kings Grant area..there are a few others, but this one fits the bill for us in a lot of ways. I'm not sure where the "back" of Kings Grant is, but Kingston is the elementary school.

I'm still looking for preschools, but they seem pricey compared to the midwest. I'll check out Sunnybrook as suggested. Any thoughts on London Bridge preschool? I saw an old post on here and it seemed well-liked.

Safety is obviously a concern (bigger city for us and new area to us). We love the beach (I keep hearing how busy VA beach is though) and would like to be rather close. We would like to be a little off the beaten path, but have things nearby (shopping, restaurants, etc).

Thanks again and any other feedback is welcome!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:10 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,802,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollteam View Post
We love the beach (I keep hearing how busy VA beach is though) and would like to be rather close. We would like to be a little off the beaten path, but have things nearby (shopping, restaurants, etc).

Thanks again and any other feedback is welcome!
We have more than one beach and I think you'll like your stay!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM

6,284 posts, read 9,576,243 times
This is a great one.

King's Grant Day School

Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Weeeell, I think we decided on a house in Bellamy Manor, near Kempsville. I know people say Little Neck, but we just weren't feeling it. Anyway, I'm nervous but excited to learn more about the area!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 AM

11 posts, read 24,820 times
Brigadoon!
i loved growing up there.
It's small, has parks, neighbors are friendly && you can always find a babysitter.
It's also ridiculously close to schools.
none of the schools are more than a 5 minute drive

Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 AM

Default Ideas

Yes, the Kingston district is the back of Kings Grant. Once you cross Little Neck Road when you come up Kings Grant Road, you are in the back. When you to get to the very back of the back (which isn't very big) you are in Royal Grant. Kingston is an excellent school. I don't know much about the preschool you mentioned. It is quite a bit further to drive. It would take you at least 10 minutes or so to drive if you didn't hit all the lights, whereas the ones I mentioned are in the nieghborhood. What street are you looking at to rent on? I think there was one on Winthrope.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 AM

Default I just read your post.

I hope you like what you found. I actually teach out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area