U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 PM

15 posts, read 39,402 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm a new member here, and of course, have orders to a ship in Norfolk. We currently live in Japan and will be making the big move with me, my husband, our 3 kids, and 2 dogs. We've been overseas for almost 9 years now and feel that moving back to the United States will be a big culture shock. Just thinking about the travel is stressing me out already!

Now for my question...which is quite general, but want to know what you all would do in my shoes. We're currently about 6 months from doing our PCS. Our oldest child is 4 years old and youngest is now 7 months old. We will be a single income family (rank E-6) and wonder if it's possible to even consider buying a house with only the one income. We're looking to live as far away as Williamsburg/Suffolk/Cheseapke if it means a nicer/more affordable/safer neighbhorhood with good schools. Virginia Beach would be my first pick, but I don't know if we could even qualify for something in that area. I've heard the places to stay away from are Portsmouth and some areas in Norfolk.

If you had time on your side, what would you be looking at at the 6 months from moving mark?

Oh, another issues is going to be vehicles. We can't bring our Japanese specs car over, so we'll be looking at buying 2 cars (a minivan and a work car for me to get back and forth). It seems the more I think about it, the more I think we won't be able to make it there (as far as buying a home) and might have to rent.

I do apologize if this type of post has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything that met my situation. Much appreciated for any posts, links, info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,711,102 times
You wouldn't do bad on one income really. E-6 with BAQ and VHA bennies would help you out. Even with military housing, which I'm sure you don't care to live in, but there are families that look for that when they come to the area. There are many sellers that would opt to rent their houses vice letting them sit on the market if need be, but it's a buyers market right now. VB has some nice schools. Vehicles..another buyers market. There are some dealerships giving great specials on two vehicle purchases, even if they are used.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 53,429 times
Wow, you've got a big move ahead of you. I know how it goes coming from a Navy back round. I just moved here from NY and have some good and bad advice about moving here. I'll be honest. I am moving to VB when I can, sometime next year, but I had to rush rent a house to get my family down here by September of this year. I live in Carrollton right now. It's between Suffolk/Chesapeake and Smithfield. It is very quiet where I am. I literally can cross 2 bridges (maybe 5 miles from home) and feel like I am in a different world. I would look into this area. Housing is kind of expensive around here and my 3 br/2.5 bath (huge yard) 2 story house is 1100. Coming from where I did that is about 4 times as much as it was there, but my income is also great. I would definitely suggest this area if you want in that type of a feel. If you want more of a city life, you can go with VB and some of the nicer areas. My office is only 10.3 miles from door to door so I have a good commute. I work 8-5 daily and spend most of my weekends in Virginia Beach.

I am on a single income and I do fine in this area. I'm a software engineer. Hope this rambling helps.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrock View Post
Wow, you've got a big move ahead of you. I know how it goes coming from a Navy back round. I just moved here from NY and have some good and bad advice about moving here. I'll be honest. I am moving to VB when I can, sometime next year, but I had to rush rent a house to get my family down here by September of this year. I live in Carrollton right now. It's between Suffolk/Chesapeake and Smithfield. It is very quiet where I am. I literally can cross 2 bridges (maybe 5 miles from home) and feel like I am in a different world. I would look into this area. Housing is kind of expensive around here and my 3 br/2.5 bath (huge yard) 2 story house is 1100. Coming from where I did that is about 4 times as much as it was there, but my income is also great. I would definitely suggest this area if you want in that type of a feel. If you want more of a city life, you can go with VB and some of the nicer areas. My office is only 10.3 miles from door to door so I have a good commute. I work 8-5 daily and spend most of my weekends in Virginia Beach.

I am on a single income and I do fine in this area. I'm a software engineer. Hope this rambling helps.
Yes Carrolton is a nice area. We call it "in the boonies," but remember, one will be commuting to Norfolk and that's quite a ride in the morning and if the other works, daycare for the little ones isn't just around the corner. The 4 year old will be starting preschool soon as well, so her inquiries would be somewhere near a good school system.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM

6,054 posts, read 9,310,999 times
You can get a house in VA beach on that income. There are a lot of foreclosures right now. You shouldn't have and issues.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 PM

15 posts, read 39,402 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! It's reassuring to know that we'll be able to make it there off of one income. Daycare shouldn't be an issue because hubby plans to be a SAHD until the baby goes to preschool in a few years (we feel it'd be easier because of the cost of daycare and also the unknowns on how hubby's possible job would deal with childcare issues-- like when he needs to get off of work because the kids are sick, etc).

As far as the commute goes, I'd be willing to travel (maybe as much as up to 1 to 1 1/2 hours) if it meant that we'd get a nice house in a safe neighborhood with a decent school system. As we see it now, we think we want to stay in this house and live here past retiring from the military, so we want to make the best decision we can. Plus, I wouldn't mind living in an area around here where we'd get some snow too. I'm not a stranger to traffic as it can be terrible in some places here. heheh, I've actually got to 'learn' to drive on the right side of the road again. hehehe, left side driving is second nature to me now.

As for the vehicles, I know to wait until after we get the house to go apply to get our the cars. We want to go with Toyota (maybe a Sienna for the family vehicle and a hybrid like the Prius for the work car). If I have a long commute, the hybrid will probably pay for itself pretty quickly. Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies. Hope your holidays are happy and safe. Take care!

Last edited by charujp; 12-21-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Spacing was off.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
My boyfriend and I are currently looking to move to Virginia. We are looking for some where close to the ocean, not to far from the mountains, and a urban area. We are a young couple and are looking to rent rather than own currently. I have no idea where to start researching! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTsGirl View Post
My boyfriend and I are currently looking to move to Virginia. We are looking for some where close to the ocean, not to far from the mountains, and a urban area. We are a young couple and are looking to rent rather than own currently. I have no idea where to start researching! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chesapeake will probably be your best bet for you two. There are plenty of reasonable places to rent for young couples without children and pets. Virginia has the best of both worlds. A couple hours drive to the mountains and from the mountains, a couple hours drive to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area