U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 26,708 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone and happy new year. I am a 27 year old single female. I grew up in detroit,michigan and for the past 5 yrs ive been saying i want to move out of michigan. So right before the new year i woke up one morning and said to myself this is the time to start researching now on relocating; and i like what ive saw so far in virginia beach (cost of living ,apartments, restuarants,jobs/careers) but i want some feedback on the weather does it rain alot there and are there ever any severe storms like hurricanes,tornados things of that nature. And any nice social spots in virginia beach im not really into the club scene but i do like to have a martini every now and then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 9,866 times
Storms like hurricanes are few and far between, and tornados are almost non-existant.I do have to warn you, though that Hampton Roads is a little stiff when it comes to the bar scene, and the laws and regulations. The opportunities to drink without driving are plenty, and the price of doing it anyway is high. It's good that you're not into the club scene, because Virginia Beach is really annoying with their regulations. They have ticketed friends who were coming out of a bar a little rowdy, and let a few choice words slip. The police got him for public intox, and fined him for cursing in public. You figure if a kid hears him at 2AM, he's probably heard it before.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,743,137 times
You're chosing a nice place to live, especially weather-wise. Been to Detroit many times, have family there and grew up just across Lake Michigan where the frigid temps now scare the bejesus outta me!

There is alot to do here and you'll meet some pretty cool people in your age group. Skiing isn't far away either. We have two ski resorts just a couple hours away and the beautiful West Virginia mountains at 4 hours. Lots of camping, fishing, surfing, jet skiing and other fun stuff to do.

Alot of churches for whatever your denomination may be, they're here!
Weather...naw, we don't get tornadoes near the ocean. Inland they do though, but not to the degree the midwest has seen.
Lots of Seafood and you're only a few hours drive for an overnight trip to Jersey and New York City for some of the best Pizza you've ever tasted and Philadelphia, home of the Philly Cheesesteak is just a day trip away as well. Alot of history on the east coast.

As far as drinking, if you're not dumb enough to drink and drive and don't make an ass out of yourself in public, you'll be just fine.

We are a very family friendly environment in Virginia Beach.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 26,708 times
thanks guys for your input.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 25,970 times
I have been in the area all my life and there are definitely a lot of things to do here. Until recently, Va. Beach activities were really spread out all over the city. Now, there is the Va. Beach Town Center which locals sometimes call downtown Va. Beach. Here you can visit dozens of bars, shops, restaurants all within a few blocks. There's also a hotel in case you don't want to drive. Another area that I like is downtown Norfolk. This area has come along way in the past 15 years. Tons to do there too.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM

43 posts, read 77,639 times
This area is basically military. We have the one of the largest naval bases. A lot of transiant people in the area. I get new neighbors ever few years. We do get some winter but few snows. The beach is OK but has an off season and not much goes on. Housing seems expensive with the demand from military people. I like the area and schools and colleges. The traffic is bad during rush hours and can be a headache. Make sure your drive to work is good.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 AM

239 posts, read 598,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl101 View Post
Greetings everyone and happy new year. I am a 27 year old single female. I grew up in detroit,michigan and for the past 5 yrs ive been saying i want to move out of michigan. So right before the new year i woke up one morning and said to myself this is the time to start researching now on relocating; and i like what ive saw so far in virginia beach (cost of living ,apartments, restuarants,jobs/careers) but i want some feedback on the weather does it rain alot there and are there ever any severe storms like hurricanes,tornados things of that nature. And any nice social spots in virginia beach im not really into the club scene but i do like to have a martini every now and then.
I don't blame you for wanting to get out of Detroit, I was there on projects for a few years so I know what it is like. Moving to a brand new area can be exciting and scary at the same time. Not sure where you did your initial research, but the items you mentioned I would say the opposite is true based on my experience. The cost of living here when average salary is factored in makes this one of the most expensive places in the country to live. Also, unless you are military the jobs/career opportunities here are pretty dreadful. There are jobs, but they are mostly retail/service jobs, there are very few of the corporate type jobs that offer opportunities for advancement. And the pay scale is low here, I know people with masters degrees who seem thankful they are making $30K a year. I am not sure what type of work you do, but I would make sure you have a decent paying job before deciding to move here. As far as apartments/restaurants, there are some good ones of both. But you can find good apartments/restaurants in any city that you move to unless you move to the sticks. So I would think twice before moving to this area.

The weather is pretty decent here, not a whole lot of rain and pretty mild temps in winter. Very hot and humid in the summer though. We do get the occasional hurricane and we have had tornados, but those haven't happened much since I have been here.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:19 AM

21 posts, read 95,629 times
Good for you to branch out on your own! My fiance and I (we are 22, and 23.) recently relocated to virginia beach from maryland, due to military of course. The area has plenty to do.. whether it be social scene, shopping, entertainment, outdoor activity etc. Most everyone we've met here is military, and most people come and go. We live at shoreline apartments which is very near the Pembroke Town Centre area, its sort of upscale but caters very much to the late 20's, early 30's crowd and is a nice, safe social scene. Of course the scene at the beach during the summer is nice also.

As for the weather, we have seen everything from sweltering heat to frigid cold in the 6 months we've lived here. Weve had a close call with a low grade hurricane earlier this year but didnt have any damage. tornadoes are veryyyy rare, however they did have a pretty serious one in suffolk (up the road) here over the summer.. again, thats a fluke. We had a few quite serious thunderstorms here over the late summer, one with serious hail and wind damage. No snow as of yet this winter, but it has rained quite a lot since we moved here. Good luck on your search and hope that you pick hampton roads for your new home!!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,743,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_blond04 View Post
As for the weather, we have seen everything from sweltering heat to frigid cold in the 6 months we've lived here. Weve had a close call with a low grade hurricane earlier this year but didnt have any damage. tornadoes are veryyyy rare, however they did have a pretty serious one in suffolk (up the road) here over the summer.. again, thats a fluke. We had a few quite serious thunderstorms here over the late summer, one with serious hail and wind damage. No snow as of yet this winter, but it has rained quite a lot since we moved here. Good luck on your search and hope that you pick hampton roads for your new home!!
Yep, our winter season is rainy, but at times spurts of warmth like today come about and it's been 80 in February before. Sweltering heat? Oh know, you've got to love the heat! Sweltering is in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl101 View Post
Oh that great you are moving from Detroit. I was bron there and my family still lives there. I am thinking about moving to Virgina Beach once I finish my Masters. Did you move and what do you think about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area