U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 51,124 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 24 year old guy and am moving to virginia beach in the next couple months after getting a new job.

I like to go out on the weekends and like to be semi-close (within at least cab distance) to where I'm hanging out but don't want to live in a crappy place. I'm looking at apartments and could prob afford up to 1200 a month on the high end but would like to keep it around 800 to 1000 per month for just myself.

After reading forums and talking to a few acquaintances they've said Ghent or chicks beach are the places for me to be. I think I'd like to live closer to the beach as I'm from a place that is -20 degrees out right now and that sounds great to me. Looking for advice on individual apartments in the area or sections that I should look for apartments. For example streets that would be good to live on / live close to. Also I'm not really quite sure which area constitutes chicks beach like I know sort of where it is but it's not clear where it begins and where it ends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,743,137 times
check out the other apartment threads, there are several links to places near the beach and a 20 dollar cab ride.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 AM

45 posts, read 161,516 times
You can check the web for rental properties Va Beach or Norfolk at Trulia.com, craigslist.org or apartment.com. Or you can call the following to check the availability of rental properties that are near the beach at Va Beach: Realty Executives 757-456-9500, Long & Foster 757-428-4600, William E. Wood at 757-4995688.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,743,137 times
There are also apartment complexes in the Lynnhaven area, which are only 9 miles from the ocean, directly down the interstate! Those would be more in your price range, as the closer you get to the ocean, the more expensive it gets.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,540,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icpooreman View Post
After reading forums and talking to a few acquaintances they've said Ghent or chicks beach are the places for me to be.... For example streets that would be good to live on / live close to. Also I'm not really quite sure which area constitutes chicks beach like I know sort of where it is but it's not clear where it begins and where it ends.

Chicks Beach can definitely be a fun place to be, but the thing about Chicks Beach is that it's all locals, most of whom have spent their entire life in that area and all know each other. I don't know how welcoming it would feel. It's also a lot of middle-aged people (30-50 age range) that I see mostly down there. But the beach itself (Chesapeake Beach) is nice if you want a relaxing, quiet place to hang out. Chicks Beach's main border is Shore Drive. If you're on Shore Drive, going toward the Oceanfront, Chicks Beach is always on the left and it starts at Pleasure House Rd, and ends once you get to the Lesner Bridge. It's all residential areas and restaurants/bars. After the Lesner Bridge is really nice too, but a little more upscale. Ghent is nice too, but it's in Norfolk, not Va Beach. The thing about Ghent is it's really old, so some of it looks run-down but it isn't. Ghent's cool because of Colley Ave and it's right by Downtown Norfolk (walking distance depending on where in Ghent you are) and Downtown has plenty of spots I think you'd like (Granby St has a lot of bars and clubs, as does Waterside), but it's bordered on the other side by Park Place which is the worst neighborhood in Norfolk (most crime ridden). However, if I were you, since you say you want to be close to the beach and a place that seems fun, I'd go straight to the Oceanfront in Va Beach. The Oceanfront starts at 89th and Atlantic Ave and goes south until you reach Rudee Inlet right at 2nd St and Atlantic Ave, but it's all residential between 89th and 42nd St. Once you cross 42nd, you're in the boardwalk area (and Va Beach's most famous neighborhood) and that's where all the clubs, bars, restaurants, venues, etc are. Just beware if you live in that area (between 42nd and 2nd) the summers will be filled with tourists, and that can be annoying. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 51,124 times
xGrendelx thanks alot that was exactly what I was looking for. Ya I've been looking at apartments near oceanfront as well it looks like a cool place to live. How would parking and my drive time be living around there though especially during the summer. My work doesn't appear to be very far from the airport so say I had to drive close to the airport everyday how's traffic in that area would I have a much longer drive time living there?

Also can I get parking around there?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,540,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icpooreman View Post
xGrendelx thanks alot that was exactly what I was looking for. Ya I've been looking at apartments near oceanfront as well it looks like a cool place to live. How would parking and my drive time be living around there though especially during the summer. My work doesn't appear to be very far from the airport so say I had to drive close to the airport everyday how's traffic in that area would I have a much longer drive time living there?

Also can I get parking around there?
The Oceanfront is definitely one of my favorite areas of the Beach, and I would love to live down there, but as a life long native of Va Beach, I feel I would get annoyed if I lived anywhere south of 42nd just because of tourists. Depending on if you live north or south of 42nd, do parking problems exist. North Beach (89th-42nd) parking shouldn't be too much of a problem aside from surfers wanting your spots. Most of the homes up there have designated parking areas though, and tourists don't usually travel that far from the boardwalk. I'd love to live in North Beach, personally. It's all locals and really laid back. South Beach (42nd-2nd/Boardwalk area) is all locals during the winter so parking isn't a big deal. During the summers though the tourists are everywhere and parking sucks. There's some lots that try to help (like $1 parking fares for locals), but it doesn't really do much. The houses down there have specified parking areas too, but it's just more of a hassle during summer because of all the people.

If you're going to be going to the airport, the drive from the Oceanfront would probably be 20-30 mins depending on what time you leave (rush hour could add another 10-15 mins on the interstate). 21st turns into to I-264, so you'd be close to the interstate, and you can take 264 to I-64 and get off on Military Hwy or Norview Ave right by the airport. Plus Atlantic Ave turns into Shore Dr, and there's numerous routes you could take from there if you wanted a more scenic drive, haha. I'd do it if I could find some place in North Beach.

Traffic is pretty heavy around most parts of Norfolk and Virginia Beach basically all the time, which is why it takes at least 20 mins to pretty much get anywhere around here. At least that's been my experience. Hope that helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area