Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM

33 posts, read 75,078 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to voice my frustrations and hope nobody is offended by my venting... I've been looking for work since September, living in this apartment, small and upstairs. The sun doesn't see our windows since it rises behind us (no windows on that side, just another apartment) and it sets behind the building in front of us. This apartment complex, which is probably typical for apartment complex living, just frustrated here.... has an "assisted living business" right NEXT DOOR to us. Doors slamming constantly, people shouting, taxi drivers beeping, medical transports beeping, constantly up and down the stairs which run right along our living room wall. grrrr!! Also, certain employees have children here with free roam of the complex until they go home so a lot of beeping the horn to get their attention or really loud whistling right next to my door!! I've lived in towns with a lot of commotion before and have had traffic noise and neighbors moving about... but I feel, with any respect, wouldn't the "business" part of this be placed and "only localized" in one wing of this complex? Instead of mixing us all up? I wasn't aware of all this until after the fact of us moving in, signing a lease and being from NY, wasn't expecting it. If I was working, I wouldn't probably be so bothered by it, but for those who are "stuck" being home.... no peace here... SO IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A PLACE I CAN GO, TAX TIME IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... PREFERABLY A SINGLE FAMILY HOME... BUT YEAH, THATS EVERYONES WISH... RIGHT? Looking to be around the boarder of NC and VA if anyone has any inside info for me... hoping to get back to work soon to up my options but for now... hummmmm.... I just want to cry, I hate this apartment but love the area. HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Good luck! We're hoping to buy a house soon. They are not that high. We can get one for the same as our rent. You'll feel better once you are able to get out more.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM

18 posts, read 54,770 times
Check your lease. I don't know VA law, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't provide you with the right to quiet enjoyment of your apartment. If the noise from a business is truly unreasonable and the hassle of moving is worth it, then meet with the manager and politely request a transfer to a quieter unit. Followup your meeting with written documentation. You may need to be persistent. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM

33 posts, read 75,078 times
Thumbs up It's all positive... thanks!!

Yeah, fortunately, the lease says if we pay an extra months rent we can leave. I CAN afford to do that and it's worth it. There's more than the business next door I don't like about being here but it's typical stuff. The laundry facilities here have washers that "sometimes" work properly and the dryers are filthy. We only have ONE parking spot... and my b/f has to park his company truck about 9 buildings away. Just a few more of many reasons. Also the women in the office act like they don't like me for some reason... I try to be polite, but I get bad vibes whenever I go in there... I haven't done anything wrong... kinda can't wait for this move. Thanks for those who wish me luck... I'll keep you posted on this for sure... just a couple more weeks I hope!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM

21 posts, read 104,967 times
not sure what price range your looking for, but if your interested in staying in this area but having some peace and quiet.. shoreline apartments in virginia beach is very nice!! . I live here with my fiance, and i have not been able to find any work here since the move either, so im home alone all day and its nice and peaceful in the complex =) the walls are well insulated, and we are bordered by little creeks and lakes, and Mt Trashmore Park which is sooooo nice.
Weve been looking into single family homes around here too and there all pretty pricey unless you want something much older and not in a good area. Ive been looking closer to the va/nc border now as well since home prices are lower down there!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
OMG where the heck do you live? I've never heard of such a noisy location for Chesapeake apartments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area