Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 PM

21 posts, read 67,118 times

Advertisements

Quick question. Moving there this summer and I'm wondering if there is a decent and safe neighborhood that is within walking distance to:

1. Farmers Market
2. Shops
3. Restaurants

I looking for something like an old downtown or town center area. Thanks.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 AM

239 posts, read 631,172 times
You won't find anything even close to that in Chesapeake. Try maybe Ghent in Norfolk or Towne Center in Virginia Beach.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM

841 posts, read 4,829,452 times
Hi Joe,
Chesapeake is only about 40 years old, and there is no 'real' traditional downtown area. The Greenbrier area is full of big box stores, strip malls, a big mall, and various restaurants. It is known as our town center and one of the biggest, if not the biggest, shopping areas in Hampton Roads.
Chesapeake is a really safe area in general. Great place to raise a family and a great public school system.
If you want details on individual neighborhoods, please DM me.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,992,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoe View Post
Quick question. Moving there this summer and I'm wondering if there is a decent and safe neighborhood that is within walking distance to:

1. Farmers Market
2. Shops
3. Restaurants

I looking for something like an old downtown or town center area. Thanks.

Joe

Joe, I am not sure what you are looking for but my best guess is something like a warehouse district and there is nothing like that in Chesapeake, if fact you wont find anything like that in Hampton Roads.
This area does not have an old downtown area that has the warehouse type farmers market, fish markets, restaurants etc like you can find in the larger cities.

Norfolk is the only true downtown that we have in this area, though it is smallish it is not very walkable friendly. Most restaurants are hit and miss in downtown, with most of them more of the chain type ownership quality. Town Center in Va Bch is the "newest town center" if that is what you want to call it...LOL, which is also very very small with again a few restaurants and shops clustered about falling back into the chain type establishments as Norfolk. You would have to travel to Baltimore, Philly of NYC to find a true warehouse district which has everything pretty much under one roof. But hey if you are looking for a 7-11 or Wal-Mart we have you covered...

Last edited by rtandc; 01-26-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 AM

21 posts, read 67,118 times
I appreciate all the input. I found out my office will be in Greenbrier, so we've decided to live in Great Bridge. Once again, thanks for the input.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 21,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoJoe View Post
I appreciate all the input. I found out my office will be in Greenbrier, so we've decided to live in Great Bridge. Once again, thanks for the input.
Great Bridge isn't bad depending on the area you choose.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,408,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDizzy View Post
Great Bridge isn't bad depending on the area you choose.
Hickory isn't bad either! Good fishin' out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area