Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 PM

162 posts, read 658,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
Um, what?

Oh well. Good luck. Be happy.
Nothing, you didn't pick up on it. Case in point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
In response to basically saying that those from Suffolk are "Unedjumacated Country Bumpkins", I say that such is a silly reason to turn down a job.

First of all, just because somebody is working in one city doesn't mean that he/she has to live in that city. There are other cities in this area. Secondly, looking down on a group of people that don't have little pieces of paper up on their walls and acting all "high and mighty" is pretty much why that group of people doesn't like you. So what if Suffolk is rural? Beats a cramped city anyday.

The lack of pretentious "degree-happy" snobs make it a lot nicer of a place full of real people enjoying life. Like oh-em-gee, there's this total trashy person living near me. Can you believe that they don't have a PhD? That is like sooo low class. ((Couldn't resist re-writing some of the ideas here))

Oh, in case you were wondering, rumor has it that there are stupid people everywhere in America. Not just the little rural town of Suffolk.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
In response to basically saying that those from Suffolk are "Unedjumacated Country Bumpkins", I say that such is a silly reason to turn down a job.

First of all, just because somebody is working in one city doesn't mean that he/she has to live in that city. There are other cities in this area. Secondly, looking down on a group of people that don't have little pieces of paper up on their walls and acting all "high and mighty" is pretty much why that group of people doesn't like you. So what if Suffolk is rural? Beats a cramped city anyday.

The lack of pretentious "degree-happy" snobs make it a lot nicer of a place full of real people enjoying life. Like oh-em-gee, there's this total trashy person living near me. Can you believe that they don't have a PhD? That is like sooo low class. ((Couldn't resist re-writing some of the ideas here))

Oh, in case you were wondering, rumor has it that there are stupid people everywhere in America. Not just the little rural town of Suffolk.
I really don't find it a silly reason at all. If you put in 10 hours a day you're still left with 118 hours left in the week for other activities, in which many will be in the community/home. If you don't like the community or your surroundings, what's the point of moving, even if the job pays a little more?

I don't act 'high and mighty' around people; however, take the supermarket for example. 99.9% of the time if I ask a question about a product, or if the price comes up wrong, etc. they'll just stare at me with this blank, stupid look on their face. The worst part is, many times these are not teens!

The same goes for restaurants. There are very few good ones around here. Most workers move slower than a snail. I don't know whether they just don't care, or are unaware of how to do a decent job.

I could go on and on, but my point is, people around here are just not as formally educated, but more important, they're not socially educated. In New York and New Jersey nobody hops out of their pickup truck with monster truck tires wearing a bright orange hat, camouflage pants and shirt and give a quick pet to the dead deer strapped in the back before going in the store to pick up a case of beer. It's just low class around here.

I live in Suffolk myself and work in Norfolk. Hard to believe, but Suffolk is better than Portsmouth, Norfolk, VA Beach, Newport News, Hampton, etc. I never said Suffolk was bad all around, I said it's semi-decent. The people on the other hand is what makes living in this whole area, not only Suffolk, painful.

Fortunately once a project I'm working completes in three more years I'll be out of here.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
I could go on and on, but my point is, people around here are just not as formally educated, but more important, they're not socially educated. In New York and New Jersey nobody hops out of their pickup truck with monster truck tires wearing a bright orange hat, camouflage pants and shirt and give a quick pet to the dead deer strapped in the back before going in the store to pick up a case of beer. It's just low class around here.
Soo.. we're calling the entire city/area stupid based upon anecdotal evidence of minimum-wage workers in a grocery store or food establishment? Oh dear about deer and beer. Thanks for making my day.

I'm at a loss for words about such a thing as "hunting" is low class. I personally know people of all income and "classes" to enjoy some nice venison. Last I heard, it is definitely more nutritious than beef - yet very hard to find in the local grocers. Lemme guess, grocery stores are low class too, right?

A friend of mine owns a nice plot of land out in Suffolk. He's got some gorgeous horses, grows his own veggies and herbs, and even scores a nice buck here and there. I love coming over when his wife makes her infamous venison stew. Interestingly enough, he's got a PhD... I'd be more than happy to introduce you.

Oh, for the record, those with the monster truck tires aren't usually the hunter types. Lifting a vehicle that high makes the truck almost unusable for hunting/fishing purposes. I also don't recall any sort of reason for strapping down a deer to the back of a truck. That's what the bed is for. Not that I'm speaking from personal experiences or anything......

And really, do you expect him to go hunting for a good meal in a business suit? Get real, cammies are what one wears to hunt. Not to mention, there are marksmen of all incomes.

Though, if you want the "finer" sides of life, Hampton Roads in its entirety is not for you. As a whole, Hampton Roads is about having fun and releasing one's inhibitions about such "low class" behaviors - vice who can stick their noses further up into the air and push the sticks further into their rear ends.

However, as for living in Suffolk and working in Norfolk - if you have to take the Downtown Tunnel everyday, I can see where the hostility is coming from. Why not join us in Virginia Beach? From the sounds of it, you might love our Town Center.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Soo.. we're calling the entire city/area stupid based upon anecdotal evidence of minimum-wage workers in a grocery store or food establishment? Oh dear about deer and beer. Thanks for making my day.

I'm at a loss for words about such a thing as "hunting" is low class. I personally know people of all income and "classes" to enjoy some nice venison. Last I heard, it is definitely more nutritious than beef - yet very hard to find in the local grocers. Lemme guess, grocery stores are low class too, right?

A friend of mine owns a nice plot of land out in Suffolk. He's got some gorgeous horses, grows his own veggies and herbs, and even scores a nice buck here and there. I love coming over when his wife makes her infamous venison stew. Interestingly enough, he's got a PhD... I'd be more than happy to introduce you.

Oh, for the record, those with the monster truck tires aren't usually the hunter types. Lifting a vehicle that high makes the truck almost unusable for hunting/fishing purposes. I also don't recall any sort of reason for strapping down a deer to the back of a truck. That's what the bed is for. Not that I'm speaking from personal experiences or anything......

And really, do you expect him to go hunting for a good meal in a business suit? Get real, cammies are what one wears to hunt. Not to mention, there are marksmen of all incomes.

Though, if you want the "finer" sides of life, Hampton Roads in its entirety is not for you. As a whole, Hampton Roads is about having fun and releasing one's inhibitions about such "low class" behaviors - vice who can stick their noses further up into the air and push the sticks further into their rear ends.

However, as for living in Suffolk and working in Norfolk - if you have to take the Downtown Tunnel everyday, I can see where the hostility is coming from. Why not join us in Virginia Beach? From the sounds of it, you might love our Town Center.
I say let her stay where she's at and suffer! We're too down to earth in VB to deal with someone who looks down on people as rednecks because they hunt and drive a mud truck or do what they do to live at their means, not above it. I'd prefer to have a man in a orange ball cap, truck with big tires come to my aid when I need help than some pervert in a business suit. I guess the upity just can't handle people who don't put on the dog to impress others, i.e. expensive cars, houses and not enough money to pay for them so they move to another state to work and then ***** about it.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I say let her stay where she's at and suffer! We're too down to earth in VB to deal with someone who looks down on people as rednecks because they hunt and drive a mud truck or do what they do to live at their means, not above it. I'd prefer to have a man in a orange ball cap, truck with big tires come to my aid when I need help than some pervert in a business suit. I guess the upity just can't handle people who don't put on the dog to impress others, i.e. expensive cars, houses and not enough money to pay for them so they move to another state to work and then ***** about it.
Very true. Though, that's why I offered the Town Center to 'em. That way we can have the best over in our area. I'd love to get a place out in Suffolk, myself, but I'd rather live closer to work 'n school so that all hours of my day aren't on the road.

So what if it is low class or redneck-ish, I'd love to have a nice plot of land for which to grow stuff and get some fresh venison. *sigh*

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I didn't say it was all minimum wage workers, now did I? Don't put words in my mouth.

I listed the supermarket and restaurants as example; however, if you'll read back, what I said was:

Quote:
I could go on and on, but my point is, people around here are just not as formally educated, but more important, they're not socially educated
Even if your friend does have a PhD, that doesn't make the complete person. I know many people that have their PhD and a lot of them are socially ignorant as well.

Life is about how you present yourself. Common sense and formal education come after. Across the street from us here we had Michael Vick building a house. He is low class. So Erma, as you can see your expense theory is really naive.

Hunting for a good meal? Nobody hunts for a 'good meal.'

I am aware Hampton Roads is not for me. Perhaps to you, Erma and others hunting, mudding, etc. aren't low class, but then again, it does make one wonder why there are such stereotypes of Virginian red neck hicks, and whether or not they're stereotypical at all.

Thanks for the offer on VA Beach, but, to be perfectly honest, I find VA Beach even worse than Suffolk. Out of all the cities around here, Suffolk is the most tolerable. North Suffolk mind you, not downtown. If towns around here should aspire to be anything though, they should look towards Williamsburg. That is one of the few nice cities in Virginia.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
I am aware Hampton Roads is not for me. Perhaps to you, Erma and others hunting, mudding, etc. aren't low class, but then again, it does make one wonder why there are such stereotypes of Virginian red neck hicks, and whether or not they're stereotypical at all.

Thanks for the offer on VA Beach, but, to be perfectly honest, I find VA Beach even worse than Suffolk. Out of all the cities around here, Suffolk is the most tolerable. North Suffolk mind you, not downtown. If towns around here should aspire to be anything though, they should look towards Williamsburg. That is one of the few nice cities in Virginia.
It amazes me how people claim to be socially and academically educated and are ignorant at the same time.
If you are socially educated, you learn that people are from all walks of life and accept that. I've traveled the world over and over again and for someone to claim that a certain group of people are low class proclaims to me their arrogance as well as their lack of social education. I wonder what rock they live under.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
It amazes me how people claim to be socially and academically educated and are ignorant at the same time.
If you are socially educated, you learn that people are from all walks of life and accept that. I've traveled the world over and over again and for someone to claim that a certain group of people are low class proclaims to me their arrogance as well as their lack of social education. I wonder what rock they live under.
One only gets defensive when they feel they're being talked about.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
One only gets defensive when they feel they're being talked about.
And if one only attacks, then obviously they are in the wrong space to live in.

Quote:
Hunting for a good meal? Nobody hunts for a 'good meal.'
Of course not. We hunt for meat for which becomes a good meal. Not everybody goes to the market for their food. My personal favorite is the local catfish (at Lake Smith, for instance) of which I enjoy a nice day of fishing and cooking. Nothing like fresh caught fish over an open fire.

Quote:
it does make one wonder why there are such stereotypes of Virginian red neck hicks, and whether or not they're stereotypical at all.
Never heard of the "Virginian red neck hicks," maybe West Virginia, but not us. Then again, when one lives on the perceivement of stereotypes, it shows more social ignorance than the guy who got himself a nice buck for dinner.

Quote:
Really? How could Virginia Beach be worse than Suffolk?

First you say that Suffolk is the most tolerable, then you say that we should look at Williamsburg. In case many hadn't realized, Williamsburg is indeed part of the Hampton Roads Bundle Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area