Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 17,048 times

Advertisements

Just moved from California and temporarily living in Florida. Would like recommendations for relocating to the Hampton Roads area. We are a quiet mature couple, working in skilled nursing administration, that enjoys a cultural scene with a nice downtown. My research indicates Virginia Beach is probably our best bet. At this point we are looking at inexpensive rentals (the type that are never published would be idea)...minimally, a safe but economical area. We will be visiting in the next week or two and would like to get an idea of where to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
This will help you get started. We are a BIG healthcare community.

HamptonRoads.com & PilotOnline.com | Apartments

Old 02-06-2009, 05:08 PM

71 posts, read 228,459 times
We've lived here 22 years. Virginia Beach is a good place to live, lowest real estate tax rate. Are you looking for a house or townhouse? There are TONS of townhouses, be careful of the area you look in. I live in the King's Grant area, very nice; some jet noise. Oh, being new, PAY ATTENTION TO THE JET NOISE ZONES. They are quieter on the weekends and in the evening. I would look at a map and if the place you are looking at is near Ocean Naval Jet Base and you don't LOVE jet noise, don't move there. Overall it's a good city, just pockets you probably wouldn't want to live in. Ask about a certain area, and I'll tell you about it. Oh, I'm also a RN.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Thank you for the info on jet noise, I hadn't thought of that. This will help us to plan our trip better. I would be happiest with a house but a condo, townhouse or duplex would also work. I am more concerned about not living in a party neighborhood. As I get specific locations, I will ask about them. Right now, I am unfamiliar with all areas but have done quite a bit of on-line research and feel VB will probably suite me well. The visit is to help me find out if I am correct but I don't want to start in a bad area and get the wrong impression of what the city is really like. Thank you for your help. I may also have questions about facilities later too.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the info Erma, I have been watching the Pilot and craig's list as well. One of the reasons I picked the Hampton roads area was because of the healthcare abundance. We also have family in Virginia, Florida and New York and VB seemed like a great central location.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:06 AM

162 posts, read 657,764 times
If you're set in stone on VA Beach, try a neighborhood called Cypress Point. I know some people in the back on the golf course and it's an okay neighborhood. They also have some condos (maybe townhouses?) in the front.

Another area of the neighborhood is vinyl victorians. Not sure what those are like, though.

Have you considered Williamsburg? That's one of the few places in Virginia I really like. There's plenty to do, it's a safe area, and is also very beautiful. There's two developments of condos up there that are nice. One is Claiborne which is really lovely. It's tucked away in the back, close to Prime Outlets.

Another is Liberty Crossing. They're brand new construction by Ryan Homes. It's okay. The price is the best part about it! I think they're in the high $190's now. It's actually in Lightfoot, right across the street from the Pottery and next to the candy factory outlet.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
What dollar range are you considering for a rental ?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicomarie View Post
Thanks for the info Erma, I have been watching the Pilot and craig's list as well. One of the reasons I picked the Hampton roads area was because of the healthcare abundance. We also have family in Virginia, Florida and New York and VB seemed like a great central location.
I would consider Kings Grant first and foremost. Cypress is not my favorite area of VB. It's too close to problem areas. I have a good friend whom I visit off of Little Neck and it's quite a nice area. Depending on which hospital or careplex facility you will be working, should be your decision on an area that requires tunnel travel.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the replies...this should give me a good start.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM

Mr. Williamsburg, I'm looking for a laughably cheap rental...we love to travel. The last two rental houses I had were 250 -300 below the average. I come with great references, too! I've seen a few possibilities on Craig's List but have had the best success driving through neighborhoods looking for "For Rent" signs in windows or word-of-mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area