U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:45 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,518,120 times

Advertisements

According to Forbes, Virginia Beach is one of the richest cities in America. Based on average median income, Va Beach is up there with San Francisco, Anchorage, Alaska, and Washington DC. Here's a link to the article on Forbes.com if you want to take a look. A professor from ODU was interviewed for the article too, which I though was pretty cool. It seems Hampton Roads is starting to get some of the recognition it deserves.

Richest Cities In The U.S. - Forbes.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 04:11 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,708,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
According to Forbes, Virginia Beach is one of the richest cities in America. Based on average median income, Va Beach is up there with San Francisco, Anchorage, Alaska, and Washington DC. Here's a link to the article on Forbes.com if you want to take a look. A professor from ODU was interviewed for the article too, which I though was pretty cool. It seems Hampton Roads is starting to get some of the recognition it deserves.

That's cool...thanks

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,578,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post

I think it must be pointed out that Virginia Beach is not "Hampton Roads". The rest of "Hampton Roads" is far below the national average for household income, save for possibly Chesapeake. I think it must also be pointed out that almost every person with high income in the area lives in Virginia Beach, which paints a very unrealistic picture of the city and area. Additionally, I think it must be pointed out that average and median are not the same thing, and you cannot have an "average median". Its either average (mean), or median.

Finally, I think you must put everything in perspective. What do the average jobs pay in all of these areas? San Fran, Anchorage, Washington DC...these all have some of the highest paying economies in the country. Virginia Beach clearly does not belong in that discussion. The area is still dominated by low paying service jobs, and in nearly any professional field you can think of, wages are higher, and opportunities more plentiful, in almost any other metro area in the country.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,518,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think it must be pointed out that Virginia Beach is not "Hampton Roads". The rest of "Hampton Roads" is far below the national average for household income, save for possibly Chesapeake. I think it must also be pointed out that almost every person with high income in the area lives in Virginia Beach, which paints a very unrealistic picture of the city and area. Additionally, I think it must be pointed out that average and median are not the same thing, and you cannot have an "average median". Its either average (mean), or median.

Finally, I think you must put everything in perspective. What do the average jobs pay in all of these areas? San Fran, Anchorage, Washington DC...these all have some of the highest paying economies in the country. Virginia Beach clearly does not belong in that discussion. The area is still dominated by low paying service jobs, and in nearly any professional field you can think of, wages are higher, and opportunities more plentiful, in almost any other metro area in the country.
Awesome.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 PM

I would think by meaning "rich," that it's not necessarily "THE RICH" that live here, but an economy that continues and doesn't shut down because we are a very large military community. The Professor from Old Dominion is analyizing from a perspective of people coming to VB, Norfolk and the like, not clumping them all together as Hampton Roads, but individual cities.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM

162 posts, read 612,076 times
Hmm, that article is really old. 2005.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Hmm, that article is really old. 2005.
Naw..it's only 3 years old and nothing ever changes. We grow from the wanderers from other states, but our economy doesn't change.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM

85 posts, read 303,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

RandomDude your killing me here.......LOL You actually think Forbes didnt do their research on this ?? The numbers dont lie buddy.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 AM

162 posts, read 612,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
our economy doesn't change.
Say what?!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM

136 posts, read 490,188 times
Oh, the economy changes and we are seeing the affects of the recent economic changes here but I think we are in a more stable area here in the Hampton Roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area