Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,569 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Virginia Beach for 3 days next week and looked up the different things to see/do and eat. But what are some of your favorite places to eat? The list was so long I wouldn't even know where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,458,021 times
Croakers - Seafood
Azteca - Mexican
Uncle Al's - Burgers/Hotdogs

If you are on a budget, Golden Corral has a pretty decent buffet.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
We are visiting Virginia Beach for 3 days next week and looked up the different things to see/do and eat. But what are some of your favorite places to eat? The list was so long I wouldn't even know where to start.
Where about in the city are you staying? Certain areas are better for certain types of food.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:27 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,897 times
A few tourist favorites that our out-of-town family always want to visit are:
Captain George's and the Cheesecake factory.

There are several really good seafood places and you'll probably get a number of seafood restaurant recommendations (and they're all probably very good). Most out-of-town family we know really like Captain George's because of the vast options of the buffet. Other places probably have a little better quality food though. Croakers, Waterman's, Rudee's, and more all have great quality seafood.

Last edited by Trevor92; 06-04-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM

35 posts, read 102,775 times
I like the sushi at Mahi Mah's - Twisted Fish is also good, as well as One Fish, Two Fish. There are a lot of restaurants (but they are chain) in the city center area - PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Romano's Macaroni Grill and a very nice Indian place called Saffron (if you go there, please try the Kashmiri bread - its basically naan bread stuffed with cashew, cherries and coconut). The Hilltop area also has a number of places - Melting Pot and Aldo's Italian restaurant come to mind.

Enjoy your visit!!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,649 times
If you're down on the Oceanfront, Mahi Mah's is definitely a good choice (though pricier than your average fish joint, if I remember right).

And Valkyria hit a second home run with the Melting Pot suggestion. I've never found anywhere like it before or since. It's pretty pricey, but if you can afford to indulge yourself, this place is worth it.

When I lived in Va. Beach, I was also a fan of Rudee's on the Inlet, which was mentioned by someone above, and (in a slightly more rustic fashion) Big Sam's. Both of these places are on Rudee Inlet, close to the 5th street end of the Oceanfront.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Where about in the city are you staying? Certain areas are better for certain types of food.
We are staying at the Ramada on the Beach. I've never been there before so I'm hoping its nice.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
I like the sushi at Mahi Mah's - Twisted Fish is also good, as well as One Fish, Two Fish. There are a lot of restaurants (but they are chain) in the city center area - PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Romano's Macaroni Grill and a very nice Indian place called Saffron (if you go there, please try the Kashmiri bread - its basically naan bread stuffed with cashew, cherries and coconut). The Hilltop area also has a number of places - Melting Pot and Aldo's Italian restaurant come to mind.

Enjoy your visit!!
We have those here in Stl. Melting Pot is my fav. restaraunt! I think we are looking for more not chain type of places, ecspecially seafood. I heard that is supposed to be good over there? But what is naan bread?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 AM

486 posts, read 1,949,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
We have those here in Stl. Melting Pot is my fav. restaraunt! I think we are looking for more not chain type of places, ecspecially seafood. I heard that is supposed to be good over there? But what is naan bread?
Exactly what I was going to say. We do have a lot of fabulous seafood places. If you can drive or take a taxi 15 or so minutes away, try Chick's :: Chicks Oyster Bar :: Home, Surf Rider Surf Rider Restaurant- Family owner seafood restaurant located in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Bubba's Bubba's Marina, Virginia Beach, Va., Dockside Virginia Beach Deep Sea Fishing Trips Family Fishing Trips VA, Rudee's Rudee's On The Inlet, or if you would like something a bit nicer (and more expensive) try Steinhilber's Steinhilber's or One Fish Two Fish One Fish Two Fish (my favorite).
I am not as familiar with places on the strip. I have eaten at Mahi Mah's and Catch 31 and thought they were very average and kind of tourist trappy.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,458,021 times
Rock Fish on the boardwalk is good too! I wouldn't want to eat at chain restaurants while on vacation either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area