Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,004 times

Advertisements

hello folks,
i'm in the process of buying a new home. Can you recommend any good mortgage lenders in Hampton roads area?

thanks in advance for all the responses..

-jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,402,865 times
There are some real estate people on this forum. You should hear from them soon.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 AM

239 posts, read 630,922 times
I had a great experience with Lending Tree. I know they aren't "local", but really it doesn't make any difference, as long as you are comfortable with doing transactions online. They give you the best rate available for that day out of all of the national banks they do business with and I think it came out to about 1/4% cheaper than anything local. Most of the time your bank sells your mortgage anyway so in the end it really doesn't matter.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,490,060 times
I have a friend in the lending business. Sort of a like a broker but he works for a bank. I can messsage you any info you may need.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
I had a great experience with Lending Tree. I know they aren't "local", but really it doesn't make any difference, as long as you are comfortable with doing transactions online. They give you the best rate available for that day out of all of the national banks they do business with and I think it came out to about 1/4% cheaper than anything local. Most of the time your bank sells your mortgage anyway so in the end it really doesn't matter.
I had great experience with them as well and was lucky to get a local realtor with the same lender I had with my old property.
Lending Tree is a hit or miss. They get the best rate through other lenders/brokers and depending on who contacts you, will get your rate low. Just recently a woman was contacted by a company through Lending Tree. After she had her home assessed and paid for the appraisal, the individual handling her loan dropped the ball and she lost the rate. She is currently fighting with them to get her appraisal money back.

There are some great home mortgage companies in the area.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,958,475 times
I would highly recommend Ginny Philips at BF Saul Mortgage in Newport News. 757-599-2827 B.F. Saul Mortgage
Best rates and service around ! I have personally referred many clients to her in the last 6 years. All have been very happy. She does what ever it take to make things happen. I can share many horror stories from people who used brokers or Internet lenders that don't have a physical office in the area. Delays, added fees, lack of communication, the list goes on and on. Be sure to look at the total cost of the loan. Not just the interest rate. When you get your HUD Statement before closing make sure the fees on the HUD Statement match what your were given as an estimate in the beginning.
I had a home buyer recently who insisted that he would use his friend. The estimate he got from his "friend" had a reasonable interest rate , but it also had almost $4,000 in various add on Application fees, admin fees, junk fees.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 46,418 times
Default Wells Fargo, agent Bill Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jainva View Post
hello folks,
i'm in the process of buying a new home. Can you recommend any good mortgage lenders in Hampton roads area?

thanks in advance for all the responses..

-jay
Call to Bill Davis, Wells Fargo, Virginia beach
Office # 222-1400
He help us a lot.
good luck.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 AM

486 posts, read 1,940,922 times
We were very happy with Bay Mortgage in Virginia Beach.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
We were very happy with Bay Mortgage in Virginia Beach.
Virginia Home Mortgage is good as well. They are a subsidiary of National City Mortgage.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 PM

745 posts, read 2,199,996 times
My advice would be to go through the process with at least 2 lenders, perhaps one national lender and one local lender, and don't commit to either until the end. It seems like virtually any lender, especially the smaller local lenders who will sell your loan off to a major lender, can make their deal a little better when you tell them that their offer just isn't the best offer on the table. We used C&F Mortgage when we bought our house and they did a great job. As Mr. Williamsburg said, other than just the interest rate and payment, be sure to look at your total loan amount, especially if you don't plan on staying in the house long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area