Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM

29 posts, read 99,146 times

Advertisements

I've been getting advice about apartments in Norfolk and you all have really helped. Before I move forward with an apartment in downtown Norfolk (Ghent area), just wanted to make sure it's not worth moving to Va Beach.
I'll be working at the Naval Station, want safety first and convenience second (walk to things etc).
Is the commute too much to consider from Va Beach? Max I could take is about 25-30 minutes one way every day.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:17 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
If it were me I'd move to Ghent.. Maybe it's just because I a city boy at heart. I like the walkability and the proximity of everything I need.. Ghent is far from dangerous and the baddest thing that happens is cars broken into.. Ghent is 75% caucasion professionals (facts from city data). 95% of residents graduated from high school and like 20% have masters. The neighborhood isn't bad and the commute to and from work is not worth the tiny bit of extra safety.. It's up to you.There are some very nice neighborhoods in VaBeach too. But you can't find the walkability of downtown norfolk anywhere in virginia beach.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 PM

29 posts, read 99,146 times
That's what I was thinking.
As always, you're a help. Thanks.
(now if I could just settle on which apt building)

Old 08-26-2009, 07:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadInVA View Post
I've been getting advice about apartments in Norfolk and you all have really helped. Before I move forward with an apartment in downtown Norfolk (Ghent area), just wanted to make sure it's not worth moving to Va Beach.
I'll be working at the Naval Station, want safety first and convenience second (walk to things etc).
Is the commute too much to consider from Va Beach? Max I could take is about 25-30 minutes one way every day.
Thanks.
Since you live in Arlington, if you live on the Orange Line or one of the "hip" areas in Arlington then Ghent in Norfolk is the closest thing you'll find that is similar.

Virginia Beach is more for folks from Western Fairfax County with family.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Depends on where you live in Va Beach and how far you think "far" is for walking distance. I personally could not live Ghent, though nice, not my cup of tea. As far as commuting, if you live in Norfolk, you'd have to take the interstate and get off at the Richmond exit, then down 64 to the base. Inner city travel, down Hampton Blvd and that can be a pain at times, especially if there is a long train and the trains do happen in the mornings. I made the mistake of getting off at Terminal Blvd. one morning and waited at least a half an hour for it to pass an wait for the long line of vehicles in front just to get to gate 2. Many who work at the base, other than military families, do not live near it. I hope it works out for you though.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 PM

270 posts, read 487,912 times
Well, I lived on the edge of Ghent, in the Hague Towers, and now I've just bought a condo in Norfolk. So I can see the advantages of both places...I did love living close to work (less than a mile when I loved in Norfolk!!) and close to Granby...walked/rode the bike as much as possible. On the other hand, I had to plan my whole day out if I wanted to go to say, Wal-mart. Military Cir was technically closest, but I've never really felt safe there especially past dusk. Now, I'm a 5 min drive away from Wal-mart, target, 5 grocery stores, and 2 malls. And I don't have to pay to park ANYWHERE. While you learn where to park for free living in Norfolk...you will still get stuck paying at the garages, etc. I belong to the YMCA and they will charge you an extra $10 a month to park in the garage there. Not that cost seems to be a problem for you I also hated getting asked for money outside Walgreens, dollar tree, etc, along Colley and 21st streets. I will miss living close to all the 'action', but I'm getting more than double the square footage for a couple hundred bucks more so I'm happy in Va beach now Good luck...I think you can make the best of either one if you try. Don't listen to all the negative stuff you find on here about Hampton Roads...it's not ALL bad!!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadInVA View Post
Thanks.

Well I could never live in Norfolk myself but it does sound like Norfolk may be your best bet. But traffic is traffic be it on 64 or Hampton blvd.......IMO I think Hampton Blvd is just as bad or worse then 64 and on Hampton blvd you have the flooding issue when it rains.... Often many places along Hampton Blvd are impassable after a rainstorm for several hours so getting to or from work will be interesting on those days...If you lived at the beach and traveled 64/264 on days traffic is really bad you would at least have more options via side streets to get home

Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
From ghent Naval Station Norfolk is a shot right down Hampton Blvd.

From Town Center you have to fight to get on the interstate and what not. But when I last worked at the Naval Base, the 12391823ing contractor started to make us come to work at 5AM, so the only other cars on the road were the other employees going to the crap job (They actually wanted us to work 14 hour days at one point, EDS and their subs).

Nothing like coming into work your 3rd week to find managers threatening the employees against going to the media, because some employee sabatoged the jank and deleted data belonging to the biggest critics of the project. Mmmm secret service investigation for the loose. NMCI was clownshoes.

Some of them people got paid tho. $130K+. They were guffawing when EDS was cutting their salaries, like they could go some where else and make that kind of money. Too funny.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Va Beach is safer than Norfolk. Also Va Beach is more relaxed than Norfolk. So if this is what you're looking for come to Va beach=)

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Just because they are different sized turds don't mean they both don't smell.

Areas of Virginia Beach are safer than areas of Norfolk. But both have their fair share of problems. Both suck in the same ways. Don't try to put one on a pedestal over the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area