U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM

35,241 posts, read 41,313,538 times

Advertisements

Totally depends on where in VA Beach you are talking about. I live in Great Bridge and work in Va Beach. Takes me about 15 min each way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:47 AM

7 posts, read 16,250 times
Depends. Chesapeake is a big city. To get from the westernmost edge of Western Branch, nearly Suffolk, to the easternmost point of Chesapeake, nearly Virginia Beach, can take you 30 minutes in itself. So that gives you an idea of how far the commute is. It all depends on how close you live to the place that you're going.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 76,784 times
Default Waterfront homes in Chesapeake

Does anybody know how long it takes to get from the waterway in the backyards of Mills Creek to open water? By open water, I mean areas that you can water ski or jet ski. The waterfront homes in Chesapeake are rather marshy...and are sort of on what appears to be a channel. We are looking to find a waterfront home in either Chesapeake or Virginia Beach (but the water must offer full water sports - not like the small lakes that only allow low hp boating/fishing). I've seen a few in Chesapeake, but although I see lots of boats docked in peoples' backyards, I want to know if it will take 5 minutes to get to an area to waterski - or 30 minutes? That will help decide if it's something we're interested in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,498,466 times
Hi lizzy, hmmm, I can try to help you.
have you been looking at properties for very long? are you working with a real estate agent (as they should be able to tell you what kind of water the house is located on).

In chesapeake and va. beach, a lot of water is Tidal. It may have deep water access (although you must time it to the tides!!) and if it has deep water access, it will cost more. I believe the area you are refering to is tidal that connects up to the Elizabeth River (where you can water ski, etc). But I won't guarantee anything without knowing the exact home and location.

what price range of home are looking for? and size? there are some good opportunities out there these days with water frontage and access.

Shelly

Old 09-13-2009, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 13,845 times
Great Bridge/Hickory area is nice, and accessible, as mentioned, to both the interstate and back roads for commuting. I prefer the back roads because it is, on average, quicker (and more pleaseant - country roads with nice views). The interstate is a faster, non-direct drive, but should only be used during non-rush hour times. The "back way" only takes 30-40 minutes in the morning. The afternoon commute typically takes a little longer, but it's like that most everywhere.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area