Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM

202 posts, read 702,579 times

Advertisements

My dream of moving to Williamsburg just became a little more real, because we have a buyer for our house! Assuming we make it to closing in May, we are going to need a place to live. For various reasons, we will be renting for a couple of years as we get used to the area. But the funny thing is that we have been home owners since graduating from college over 20 years ago so we don't really know much about renting a house. I've been looking at realtors.com and craigslist so I don't think that finding houses to consider will be that difficult. However, we don't know what things we should look out for or how to protect ourselves from getting in a bad situation or whatever. Do house leases always start on the first of the month or does it vary? Do we have a right to know if the owners plan on selling the house while we live there? I don't want to move in and then have to move out in a few months. We will be great tenants--how can we know if the homeowners will be great landlords? Anyone care to share wisdom, tips or cautions about house rentals with me?

BTW, I am asking here instead of in the Real Estate thread because I know things vary by location and I am specifically interested in Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 AM

37 posts, read 136,164 times
Some of the things you want to know vary by state. When I lived in NJ they had very clear laws about the period of time a landlord must give before listing a house for sale etc. I've had places where rent starts at the beginning of each month, and other's base it on the signing date of the lease (every 30 days from that date).

What was helpful for me was getting the tenants guide for NJ. For VA laws I've been using the following sites to familiarize myself with the local laws:
Renter's Rights and Responsibilities: The Basics
http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf

Old 03-16-2009, 05:58 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,251 times
Most of the rental management companies in this will use a different rental contract.( their own) For your protection I would recommend you have a local real estate attorney review any contract before you sign. It should be easy to make sure the terms and commencement date are agreeable to you. The only complaints I typically hear were rental rate escalation charges. Be sure to look at that in a lease before you sign as well as having it reviewed

Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks hcaleman and Mr. Williamsburg. Are you allowed to give me recommendations of attorneys? I am also trying to get an idea of what time is needed in all this. We plan to drive down to Williamsburg in mid-April and look at houses over a weekend. Assuming we find a house to rent, what happens next? How many days would we need to be there? We've never moved so far away before so I'm trying to stay on top of things and plan well.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM

207 posts, read 749,457 times
When you look at the house do a VERY THOROUGH walk through. The same as if you were buying the house. Turn the water on and flush toilets to look for low pressure. Open windows..do they stay open or need to be "propped" with a stick? Move the furniture away to see how many stains are hidden below. Hows the heating and cooling systems? Does the basement smell moldy? Drive the neighborhood at night and during the day. Do you see anyone out walking or jogging etc? Ask the current tenants questions although dont be surprised if they are vague. Ask them direct questions about the landlord...does he fix things ASAP, is he difficult? As a frequent military mover I have had more problems renting directly from an owner. If possible use a property management company. Many "do it yourself landlords" THINK they know how to manage but have no clue.

Upon moving in taking pictures of EVERYTHING--videotape and have a walk-thru checklist that you notate every damage/flaw in the property--"stain in carpet", "crack in window". Protect yourself.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,251 times
I would recommend Brian Lytle/ Attorney with Lytle Law Lytle Law offices in Williamsburg and Newport News for any real estate related issues. He is one of the best around.
If you find a home you like You complete a rental application and then move forward from there. It could be done in a day of you find a house you like. They will take a few days to approve your application. You might want to check the VA Gazette. You can see local rentals on their website (http://www.vagazette.com/classifieds/real_estate_for_rent/ - broken link). Most of the local rental companies advertise there on Saturdays. You can also subscribe to an email edition of the paper to start getting the feel for Williamsburg. AS an FYI Not all rentals will be on Realtor.com.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 PM

50 posts, read 149,289 times
I'd also say check Rentometer: Get House and Apartment Rental Comps by Entering an Address & we negotiated $$$ off our rent & a house purchase clause to break our lease

Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks sassyfragger1. Although rentometer doesn't seem to differentiate between a 3-bedroom apartment and a 3-bedroom house. I would pay a little more to not share walls.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,620,215 times
Basically, many of the landlords in Hampton Roads are used to taking advantage of the Navy. They will do everything they can to ********* over.

There are a few types of landlords.

You've got the noobs that saw some garbage on HGTV. You can spot them on craigslist because their ads are full of crap that you, as a renter, will not care about. Who cares about their stupid flowers, and other really trivial details. You can tell they bought the house that they love to use as a rental. They are likely to not have the money to fix issues (financed the thing heavily, borrowing against their primary residence for down payment). They will probably be bad at maintenance, because the late night tv show and their friends all said renting homes is a worry free way to riches. You might find they are unrealistic on wear and tear as well. They will be annoying over every detail. In their minds they will forget about the flaws. They are in love with their stupid house, and this could hurt you.

Next you've got the seasoned vetran management companies. They are out to take advantage of the military people. They are a strict business, and this can be nice. They will try to charge you $50 per nail hole in the wall, and find reasons why you shouldn't get your deposit back. Repairs will be prompt, but perhaps of low quality. They are run by old people, perhaps family businesses and are generally stupid. They don't understand the internet exists and people can leave information behind on the intarwebs. They are used to a world where there is always some new young dumb military family to take advantage of. Times are changing, and they haven't figured this out. Their years of abusing people will come back to haunt them now.

You might get lucky. But remember what the area is like.

A few words of advice. Research to find out how long ago the owner bought the place. If they bought it in the past 4 years or so, they probably overpaid. Their rents might be high to cover their expenses. Because they were a sucker doesn't mean you have to be. Some of the young investors are dumb and loose money every month, thinking they will come out when the values go back up (could be 10+ years). Beware, they could end up in foreclosure. But you might be able to live for free as a squatter, since banks are so plugged up with foreclosures and people who are late.

Beware craigslist scammers.

Try to find not popular sources for rentals. Craigslist is full of competition, but only a fraction of locals are savvy enough to know about it. Remember, most people in Hampton Roads aren't very technology literate.

Lots of military people are always trying to rent out their crap since they can't sell it since they overpaid, or are too greedy. They often won't be around to maintain it, or take care of issues. Beware.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Good points, telemonster. Are there any good types of landlords to try to find? What about people who can't sell their house but have to move out of the area so will rent instead and realize that getting some money is better than no money? (Of course, these would be the ones who are not around when there is a problem in the house.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area