Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 16,224 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I want to jump on the home buying bandwagon, and since this is our first home and the tax credit is a nice $8,000 this year, we figured now's the time!

Anyway, on to my question...

We want to get out of Virginia Beach, desperately. So we've been looking at Suffolk and Chesapeake. We also would like to build, or buy a recently built property in a community that is pretty new.

We've looked around and can't seem to find any new home communities in these areas. At least not anything that a young couple can afford

We want to stay in the low $200's, high $100's... but it seems like it's going to be SO ridiculously hard. Just a starter home, no kids *yet*.

If anyone knows of any properties in Suffolk or Chesapeake that're being built, in the process, or almost done, any info would be more than helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
There are lots for sale and communities being built in Gates, just across the boarder about a half mile. You may want to check in that area. Since you live in Virginia Beach, you have the local resources to check it out.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 AM

45 posts, read 172,602 times
You may want to check out with Chesapeake Homes at 757-671-8700 if they have inventory sales in Chesapeake or Suffolk within your pirce range of $100-200K. Also, these are active new construction listings showing in REIN that you may want to check out, namely: One in Huntersville Subdv for $199.9K, zip code 23435 and about 5 new homes at Pleasant Hill Subdivision, from $159K to $189K, zip code 23434.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 AM

I looked for the Huntersville and Pleasant Hill subdivisions but can't find anything on them....

We really want to stay in Suffolk or Chesapeake, since my husband is stationed in Norfolk. But we definitely do not want to live in Norfolk. Just a personal preference...

Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM

45 posts, read 172,602 times
Here goes the addresses my friend:
Huntersville Subdivision, Zip 23435 6205 Freeman Ave for 199,900
Pleasant Hill Subdivision, Zip 23434 210 Raleigh Ave for 159,900
Pleasant Hill Subdivision, Zip 23434 700 Country Street for 176,000
Pleasant Hill Subdivision, Zip 23434 302 Bidwell Street for 179,900
Pleasant Hill Subdivision, Zip 23434 305 Baker Street for 189,599
Pleasant Hill Subdivision, Zip 23434 300 Baker Street for 199,500
Good luck on your house hunting!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscr524 View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I want to jump on the home buying bandwagon, and since this is our first home and the tax credit is a nice $8,000 this year, we figured now's the time!

Anyway, on to my question...

We want to get out of Virginia Beach, desperately. So we've been looking at Suffolk and Chesapeake. We also would like to build, or buy a recently built property in a community that is pretty new.

We've looked around and can't seem to find any new home communities in these areas. At least not anything that a young couple can afford

We want to stay in the low $200's, high $100's... but it seems like it's going to be SO ridiculously hard. Just a starter home, no kids *yet*.

If anyone knows of any properties in Suffolk or Chesapeake that're being built, in the process, or almost done, any info would be more than helpful!
Why do you really want to buy now? Are you looking to loose money? At $200K you're going to wind up with a $100K home. Hampton Roads is ghetto, and it still stuck in the mania. The people here are slow to comprehend. WE were late going into the housing mania, and now we are late coming out.

Now that the rapid escalation of home prices has ended, the enthusiasm for the area is waning. Now that people aren't making more from their home appreciation than their job pays, they realise the region is a boring, soulless dump.

Sorry, but the housing prices here are way out of line with the quality of the area, and the incomes of the people in the area.

There is epic tons of high end housing that will never, ever, find a buyer anytime soon unless the US Dollar crashes in value. Do you think your salary is going to double any time soon?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM

48 posts, read 128,758 times
I live in Northern Suffolk and there are a lot of homes this way-you certainly get more for your money then Virginia Beach. Most of the 200K new homes are townhomes, but you should be able to find something. And this is a great area-growing so much!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:30 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkmom View Post
I live in Northern Suffolk and there are a lot of homes this way-you certainly get more for your money then Virginia Beach. Most of the 200K new homes are townhomes, but you should be able to find something. And this is a great area-growing so much!
$200K for a townhouse is nutty. There is little to no land with a townhouse, and the land is normally what makes up a big portion of the purchase price. The median income in Hampton Roads isn't that high. The market is still grossly overheated.

Also, Suffolk has Charter Cable, which is bad. The prices are high and there is little business offerings. So if you are a big internet user, then that may hurt.

The real winner is the builder that unloads these things at such a huge profit margin.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 AM

I actually just checked out Northern Suffolk, and it definitely looks like the place for us! We're from the midwest so we like the slower pace, more friendly feel out there. Virginia Beach just isn't for us anymore.

And the reason we're buying is because my husband will be stationed here for quite a long time, and we're sick of throwing money away on renting. Plus, interest rates are at a record low and we may as well lock in now while we can. Cost of living is more out here, there's nothing anyone can do about it besides complain, and that achieves nothing.

Having a townhome or condo is also nice because for us, when my husband is gone, I will be paying condo fees and someone ELSE has to mow the lawn, and keep up the exterior of my home. Which is nice when it's just me!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscr524 View Post
I actually just checked out Northern Suffolk, and it definitely looks like the place for us! We're from the midwest so we like the slower pace, more friendly feel out there. Virginia Beach just isn't for us anymore.

And the reason we're buying is because my husband will be stationed here for quite a long time, and we're sick of throwing money away on renting. Plus, interest rates are at a record low and we may as well lock in now while we can. Cost of living is more out here, there's nothing anyone can do about it besides complain, and that achieves nothing.

Having a townhome or condo is also nice because for us, when my husband is gone, I will be paying condo fees and someone ELSE has to mow the lawn, and keep up the exterior of my home. Which is nice when it's just me!

That is great, glad you found a place you like.....Just a side note, I have bought and sold many condos over the years..... make sure you do your homework very well when looking at buying a condo....The rules and regulations can vary greatly from one development to another....Some have a cap on the number of rental properties and some dont, others have a cap on how much the condo fee can be raised yearly and again other dont.....Also check out the master insurance policy very well, you might be surprised at what it does not cover......Besides the normal lawn care, trash pick up, and water and sewage coverage most master insurance policies and/or condo fees do not cover any exterior maintenance like siding, windows, decks, patios etc. These will all fall on the homeowner so make sure you have a separate homeowners policy that will cover any issues that may arise. Also make sure your personal policy has very good coverage regarding water and fire damage as these are the number one issues that will occur in multi dwelling developments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area