Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM

50 posts, read 150,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1991 View Post
If you have kids and are thinking about buying you will pay a PREMIUM to be in the decent school districts. My wife and I just moved here in November and were shocked at the prices. The problem is that there really isn't any middle ground in the area for schools. there are really really good schools all in York County or up Willaimsburg. Then there are the "ghettos" of Newport News, Portsmouth and Hampton which have horrible schools. You might be able to get a run down townhome in the bad areas for less than 200K but you can't even touch a condo in the better school districts. Rentals are very plentiful though because people got in over their heads, can't sell and have to rent the homes out.
Same here! We're looking for a house and our max is $330K and we can't find ANYTHING in a good school district that's actually big enough for 3 kids and/or not collapsing on itself. Under $200K plain impossible. I think the most affordable I've found is Smithfield area and the schools I have heard not much on other than "it's rural".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM

142 posts, read 481,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfragger1 View Post
Same here! We're looking for a house and our max is $330K and we can't find ANYTHING in a good school district that's actually big enough for 3 kids and/or not collapsing on itself. Under $200K plain impossible. I think the most affordable I've found is Smithfield area and the schools I have heard not much on other than "it's rural".

Wow - I had hoped 200 was doable. Everything I read is pointing otherwise.

I'm glad for internet research. We are doing a lot of research on quite a few places we are interested in before even narrowing down to go and take a look.

Luckily, we are not in a rush, hoping to move next winter.

We are now checking out Roanoke as well as a few other places.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
If you are able to find employment in Roanoke, live there. IMO, it would be a nicer place to live than living in Hampton Roads. I say that mainly because I prefer the mountains to the beach ( If I would have put a penny in a jar for the first 3 years I lived in Virginia Beach, and taken a penny from the jar each time I went to the beach the last 13 years I lived there, the jar would still be almost full ), and I hate the traffic in HR. During my last 13 years in Virginia Beach, I spent more time in the mountains than I did at the beach.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfragger1 View Post
That's the area. Be careful when you get too far out the time and cost of the commute could become problematic.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM

142 posts, read 481,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If you are able to find employment in Roanoke, live there. IMO, it would be a nicer place to live than living in Hampton Roads. I say that mainly because I prefer the mountains to the beach ( If I would have put a penny in a jar for the first 3 years I lived in Virginia Beach, and taken a penny from the jar each time I went to the beach the last 13 years I lived there, the jar would still be almost full ), and I hate the traffic in HR. During my last 13 years in Virginia Beach, I spent more time in the mountains than I did at the beach.
Thanks. Roanoke is sounding nicer and nicer. And those mountains are beauties!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area