Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM

34 posts, read 108,982 times

Advertisements

If you rent/sell a property, is there anything saying you must disclose "critter" problems or a history of such??

Would you rent/buy a place that had a history or was being treated for roof rats?

I have heard of roof rats being in this area. Are there isolated areas or pretty much all of Va Beach?

*Let me just say I really like our landlord and owners...however, we are renting a house and it was not disclosed to us that they were treating for these critters. We've only been here a few months, but we've already had evidence (by noise, smell, and being caught on traps) that they are still active in this house. I'm just wondering what rights we have as tenants to getting out of a lease early due to this not being disclosed.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by bollteam; 03-27-2009 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
failure to disclose is a major issue, when you find it it means you just found the tip of an ice berg.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollteam View Post
If you rent/sell a property, is there anything saying you must disclose "critter" problems or a history of such??

Would you rent/buy a place that had a history or was being treated for roof rats?

I have heard of roof rats being in this area. Are there isolated areas or pretty much all of Va Beach?

Thanks for the input!
Generally speaking, yes, disclosure would be required.

Think this way: If you were buying the property, and someone did not tell you about roof rats, would you be upset?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 AM

34 posts, read 108,982 times
Looks like everyone either doesn't know or doesn't want to say. lol. What would you do if you were renting a place that had roof rats and it was not disclosed to you? Is there anything we can do, or just "suck it up" and hope it gets better in the Summer??

Also, how prevalent are these critters in this area? generalized or isolated areas?? I would hate to move and have them again...

Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM

50 posts, read 149,977 times
whoa huh WHAT? Our RE agent told us VA is a buyer beware state and that disclosure was not necessary.

It's a health hazard I'd think... bummer I'd do anything and everything to move unless the owners are willing to pay to remedy the problem (not just traps sealing openings).

Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 AM

78 posts, read 222,869 times
We just bought a house here in VA Beach and had a man come out and look over the house for pests of all kinds.. When we had the dishwasher replaced there were mouse droppings under the cabinets...So I was worried about a pest issue.. Our home ispection found no problems but we decided to contact another company for a second opinion. While he was here checking he said these roof rats are becoming more prevalent here... He also gave us tips on how to make sure they dont get in... Look to see what the gap is like in your eves they can get in there...also he said they can climb.. crazy critters... luckily we didnt have any but I was surprised to hear about these roof rats... YIKES! It is free to have a consultation done.. Maybe that could be a place to start....

Have you spoken to your landlord about treating the problem again.. or contacting a pest control service.. and is Pest control part of your lease agreement?

Good luck.. I would be sleeping on my bed with a broom or rather maybe not sleeping if we had roof rats...

By the way... our inspection showed no signs of mice or roof rats thankfully.. I am sleeping at night...

Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 16,704 times
Default Must disclose? Don't think so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollteam View Post
As a former Director of Property Management for a regional management company, I've never heard of a law that requires such disclosure. If the landlord has taken reasonable action or is taking reasonable action(s) to "cure" the issue, I would think it would be difficult to break the lease because of non-disclosure.

Real Estate Attorneys just love this kind of case....

Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Williamson View Post
As a former Director of Property Management for a regional management company, I've never heard of a law that requires such disclosure. If the landlord has taken reasonable action or is taking reasonable action(s) to "cure" the issue, I would think it would be difficult to break the lease because of non-disclosure.

Real Estate Attorneys just love this kind of case....
Once again, we have an issue that you really have to look to what the courts have said in the area.

Here in AZ, vermin such as roof rats are a required disclosure - and, it is listed on our SPDS.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 27,464 times
Default Rats

Get rid of Rats and Mice with "PEPPERMINT OIL" from a health food store. Take cotton balls and soak them with the peppermint oil and put them where there are droppings. They hate the smell of peppermint..It works..Good Luck..Nova

Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 AM

162 posts, read 638,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfragger1 View Post
whoa huh WHAT? Our RE agent told us VA is a buyer beware state and that disclosure was not necessary.

It's a health hazard I'd think... bummer I'd do anything and everything to move unless the owners are willing to pay to remedy the problem (not just traps sealing openings).
Adding this question to the list of "what to specifically ask about before buying a house." Along with the question of "has anyone ever kicked the bucket in this house." The things you find out LATER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area