Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 AM

266 posts, read 866,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I just read an article on aol.com that's now saying it was "space junk" from a Russian satellite.

Mysterious Flash and Boom Soyuz Space Junk
After I read this thread i went to check my mail and read that article too! How crazy that they are saying there will be a second part but how it can be controlled to be near cape Hatteras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
I just read an article on aol.com that's now saying it was "space junk" from a Russian satellite.

Mysterious Flash and Boom Soyuz Space Junk
You know.. they usually track this sort of stuff really well. The local stations have also done quite well to say stuff like, "Check out the north sky tonight and see *such-n-such* in space." I'm surprised they didn't get the word out so that people could take awesome photos and video of it.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
You know.. they usually track this sort of stuff really well. The local stations have also done quite well to say stuff like, "Check out the north sky tonight and see *such-n-such* in space." I'm surprised they didn't get the word out so that people could take awesome photos and video of it.
That's what I was thinking when people were saying it was a meteor. Wouldn't astronomers have known about a meteor heading towards Earth that was big enough to be seen/heard across 3 different states if it exploded, and why weren't we told? I guess the same goes for the "space junk" stuff we're hearing now. What if it didn't blow up and actually hit land? Probably could've done some real damage.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 AM

266 posts, read 866,887 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking when people were saying it was a meteor. Wouldn't astronomers have known about a meteor heading towards Earth that was big enough to be seen/heard across 3 different states if it exploded, and why weren't we told? I guess the same goes for the "space junk" stuff we're hearing now. What if it didn't blow up and actually hit land? Probably could've done some real damage.
Definitely could have done some major damage. Kind of reminds me of the pilot for a show called dead like me. Ive been re-watching it lately and the girl dies by a freak accident... a toilet seat that fell from space station ..lol.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,580 times
With all these traffic cams, sky cams & tower cams, there isn't one of these cams that caught anything? Heck there are cams on top of the Armada Hoffler and the Westin building. Those cams would have definitely caught something. Either officials know what it is, and don't want to tell us, or they still don't know what it is and need a "cover" story. We already know it wasn't a Russian rocket, and now they are saying it's a meteor, when at first they said it wasn't. This morning people in Canada reported seeing and hearing the same thing as we did. I think the time has come!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM

It's all very eerie.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
I am certainly not an expert but I have been an amateur astronomer for a number of years and it sure looked like a typical meteor to me with the exception of the bolide explosion.............. Now the question everyone is asking is was what they saw man made? ........Well most of the man made space junk including this Russian rocket that a number of people were first saying is what we saw are made from aluminum not iron .............and one of the main characteristics of a nickel/iron meteor is the bright green trail as the nickel/iron core is super heated, causing oxygen ionization............ Now this is the one characteristic that everyone can agree on.... the bright green trail............ And any man made object made from aluminum would not excrete a bright green trail as it falls to earth.......So was in man made....... IMO No it was not......It was just a really cool meteor

Last edited by rtandc; 04-01-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
I slept at a Holiday Inn Express and I still have no idea what it was.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Pilotonline.com released another article about if anyone's interested. This guy form Suffolk said he was on CBB-T and saw it land in the water:

Suffolk man says he saw meteor hit | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: