Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 AM

37 posts, read 136,549 times

Advertisements

I've been using the Hampton Roads MLS site to keep an eye on the rental market ahead of my relocation. I have noticed that over the past months many of the same properties continue to be shown.

Are these MLS listings typically pulled down after properties are leased or do they tend to linger waiting for someone to do a cleanup? Curious to see if houses are really just sitting for as long as it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,779 times
I don't think Major League Soccer is that popular in Tidewater.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 AM

50 posts, read 149,999 times
Most are current (we're looking too) they sit for 120 days pretty average from what we've found thus far. Be careful on short sales here though bc many of the sellers agents are clueless how they really work (which means it's a big pain and unlikely to happen).

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
There is an over abundance of rental properties across the Hampton Roads area right now so it is common for houses to be listed for long periods of time with no rental contracts offered.

So the bottom line is you will have your choice of rental properties and dont be shy about negotiating the cost of the monthly payments or rental terms.

But be aware of what property you choose and do your homework......make sure the homeowner is not behind on the taxes or payments, you dont want to get caught up in the middle of something nasty like a short sale or the property going foreclosure....

Also if the house is vacant make sure the house was winterized correctly as many homeowners are not local to check on the property and it is not uncommon to hear stories about the real estate companies that these houses are listed with not following up on vacant rental properties as they should in a timely period.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM

37 posts, read 136,549 times
What would be the proper winterizing clues to look for? I saw in another thread there seems to be a mild rodent issue in the area as well (maybe I'm reading into it too much though). I'm generally looking around Larchmont and Ghent right now and something in that general area.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
What would be the proper winterizing clues to look for? I saw in another thread there seems to be a mild rodent issue in the area as well (maybe I'm reading into it too much though). I'm generally looking around Larchmont and Ghent right now and something in that general area.

This area does not have the cold winters other parts of the country has but a house that has sat vacant during the winter without being properly winterize can have problems.....The big issue is water.....make sure the water was turned off and that is was drained properly....meaning if you check out the house while it is still winterized the hot water heater should be drained, all of the faucets should be in the open position, no water in the toilets etc....the big thing most people find problems with after the water is tuned back on is the dishwasher where it was not drained properly, so if it is against an outside wall in the kitchen make sure you check it well.

Larchmont and Ghent are two neighborhoods that host all different types of buildings from single family homes reaching that century mark old with full basements to new homes built on slabs to multi family apartments and condos so check everything....plumbing may be a mixture of copper and PVC, electrical could be state of the art or it could be old screw in type fuses that really cant handle todays electronics very well ( or in most cases not up to code and can be a fire hazzard)...animals?.... sure they can be a problem, especially if the house has a chimney, basement or open crawl foundation so check for signs of them also as Norfolk does have a very large squirrel, and cockroach population....mice and other small rodents not so much unless you are close to the water

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
From experience I have noted numerous rental homes that were pending credit / application approval that were still showing active. Aside from that they are kept current. ( you get fined if it's discovered that it's not )

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
If all you see in the MLS is overpriced garbage, it's just a reflection of the area. Compared to Raleigh Durham, which has companies like Cisco, IBM, and RedHat. I didn't cherry pick these, I randomly threw them at a friend who was talking some nonsense about buying a house here.

From Raleigh Craigslist:
20:52 CHECK LIST READY? - All Brick, 1st Flr Master, 100% Financing (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reb/1101465546.html - broken link)
20:52 Beautiful Home with Fenced in Backyard!! (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reo/1101455626.html - broken link)
20:53 ON GOLF COURSE! 15 MIN TO DUKE, RTP & BRIER CREEK! (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reb/1101366824.html - broken link)

$210, $225K ... that's totally legit. Not saying that the houses are the best thing in the world, but WAY better than the garbage you will find listed in this area for $200K. Hampton Roads has very little going for it. Make no mistake, people are leaving. If all the smart people leave, then the few good employers will get frustrated that they can't find good talent (I'm hearing this from people now, "You wouldn't believe ... we've been through so many interviewees and the skills just aren't there, it's ridiculous."

Those employers will leave, or discontinue expansion of operations in the region. Then again, our region has been known as a place to find cheap labor (I'm sure you all remember the Dave Addis article when the City of Chesapeake's Economic Development group got caught with this on their webpage?).

Oh yea. MLS. You must understand, the MLS is the only thing the Realtors have. It's the only reason they exist. As other alternatives come online, Realtors will go way of the Travel Agent.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM

I dont share the doom and gloom that Telemonster does about Hampton Roads but I will agree that this area will never see top paying companies until at least 3 problems are solved...

Problem 1) Va Bch....get rid of Oceana, people will argue this point all day but face it Oceana is holding Va Bch down from bring in top companies.

Problem 2) Norfolk.....Get over it, Norfolk is land locked and will never be able to expand. All they have is downtown and the downtown area will never be more than what it is now until they tear down the housing projects.

Problem 3) Chesapeake....Could have a great future in housing top companies but first it has to get rid of the good old boy system it has been under for years

Old 04-24-2009, 01:37 PM

62 posts, read 263,387 times
Could anyone tell me where to find a link to the mls that shows rental listings also? We're looking for a rental home in williamsburg but the offerings on craigslist are sparse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area